Author Topic: Widening (T-shaped) genioplasty necessary after SARPE?  (Read 694 times)

breezeblox

Widening (T-shaped) genioplasty necessary after SARPE?
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
I will be getting an MMA, SARPE, and genioplasty for sleep apnea. I'm worried that my chin will appear very narrow because my midface will be wider after SARPE.

Currently, I don't think my chin is narrow - it's simply recessed. Will widening be necessary to compensate for changes in midface width due to SARPE?

Let me know if pictures are needed.

needadvancement

Re: Widening (T-shaped) genioplasty necessary after SARPE?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:24:02 AM »
Is the SG you're getting a standard forward advancement? Then I don't think you're gonna face a narrow look, that is more of a problem when you get a vertical advancing SG.

breezeblox

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 07:35:57 AM »
Definitely considering both vertical and fwd advancement.

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
In that case yes you will probably have a narrow looking chin, although I don't know how true it is that SARPE widens the midface.

I mean they are cutting a piece of the chin for the SG, not the entire chinbone. The piece that they cut off and then bring lower and forward is a more narrow part than your entire chinbone. It's actually kind of ideal for women, but indeed men look better with broad chins.

I had the same issue after my SG(vertical and forward) but decided not to for a widening genioplasty later. It's a lot of work on that area, your chin is gonna get disintegrated lol. What does your surgeon say about it?

breezeblox

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
Next consultation is not for another month.

This publication shows pretty clearly that SARPE affects the entire face. I was able to access it w University license.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12752369_Photographic_analysis_of_facial_changes_associated_with_maxillary_expansion