Author Topic: Need some advice on upper jaw surgery  (Read 1396 times)

Davey

Need some advice on upper jaw surgery
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »
Hello, I am currently in the process of undergoing some jaw surgery alongside having braces which is due to begin in five months. At my consultation i was told i was a good candidate for Lower jaw surgery to correct my malocclusion deep bite of 9mm and a sliding genioplasty. I was also told I had what is known as a "wonky jaw" and maybe a candidate for upper jaw surgery as well. My question is does having a wonky jaw mean I have an underdeveloped maxilla or is the surgeon just trying to add on money?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Need some advice on upper jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 10:36:59 PM »
It would mean the doctor MIGHT need to do surgery on the upper jaw IF moving it is needed to  to move the lower jaw such that the teeth meet in the right occlusion.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Davey

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »
Thank yu for the response, i am also wondering if a wonky jaw constitutes anunderdeveloped maxilla and should i have a lefort i ontop of my BSSO and sliding genioplasty

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
Thank yu for the response, i am also wondering if a wonky jaw constitutes anunderdeveloped maxilla and should i have a lefort i ontop of my BSSO and sliding genioplasty

No answer to that question. 'Wonky' jaw means nothing as in NOT a medical expression.

Davey

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
He said i have a lower midline  whereby my jaw is crooked to the left by about 2mm. I was also told i had "brachyfacial" growth pattern if that helps
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:28:22 PM by Davey »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »
He said i have a lower midline  whereby my jaw is crooked to the left by about 2mm. I was also told i had "brachyfacial" growth pattern if that helps

OK, none of that changes my first response to your initial question which was:

Q:[My question is does having a wonky jaw mean I have an underdeveloped maxilla or is the surgeon just trying to add on money?] Davey

A:[It would mean the doctor MIGHT need to do surgery on the upper jaw IF moving it is needed to  to move the lower jaw such that the teeth meet in the right occlusion.] kavan

If you are having a hard time processing my initial answer to your question as to what it could also mean. It means'NEITHER'.

There is NO definite answer to your 'EITHER/OR' question as to whether or not what was relayed to you 'means' EITHER your maxilla is undeveloped OR the surgeon is trying to add on money.

What I can tell you with your added info is that it still would mean that the doctor MIGHT need to do surgery on the upper jaw for valid reasons. One being for good occlusion and the other COULD be that you would look better with both advanced.

But no DEFINITE answer can be given based on both your questions alone; first and additional one here as to wheter or not your maxilla is ABSOLUTELY recessed.

Davey

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 01:34:50 AM »
I personally hate being brachyfacial would lower jaw surgery and sliding genio make me more mesofacial in appearance?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:44 AM »
I personally hate being brachyfacial would lower jaw surgery and sliding genio make me more mesofacial in appearance?

Hi, I addressed your initial questions. The salient point I wanted to convey is there is NO DEFINITE answer I can give based on your questions alone. Such is the case with your spin off question.

You are seeking targeted feedback in the total absence of ANY visual reference (photos, cephs, etc.) Hence no TARGETED feed back relative to what you look like can be accommodated.

END of question and answer session (with me).

CCW

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
Dentofacial deformities very rarely involve only one jaw, which means bimax surgery is needed to get the best possible result. Reputable surgeons don't usually offer single jaw surgery because they want to get the jaws to where they should've been if they had developed normally.

You need to post pictures and cephs if you want more detailed advice on your case.