Author Topic: Bi-max & chimplike profiles  (Read 3628 times)

beyondconfusedtbh

Bi-max & chimplike profiles
« on: August 07, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Who run's the risk of having a 'chimp like' profile from bi-max?

I know that 'ante-face' is regarded as attractive by many but I'm not talking about that, rather I'm talking about the attached pictures.

Basically, Bi-max doesn't effect the region of the skull around the nose right? So if someone has sub par projection/ growth in the lefort 2 region (sorry I'm struggling to articulate what I mean) do they run the risk of screwing their face up completely?

Also in the case below couldn't this strange profile be fixed by further advancing the lower jaw/ genio?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:31:03 AM by beyondconfusedtbh »

beyondconfusedtbh

Re: Bi-max & chimplike profiles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »
For example would:

https://imgur.com/ZrohCrF

be able to achieve a result close to

https://imgur.com/sDWgs2l

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »
Although I won't be addressing proxie questions and permutations thereof concerning other people (as in these photos), I will address the question in the FIRST sentence of your opening post. In short, people who would be candidates for CCW but for whom who's doctors just do linear advancement are more at risk for 'chimp look' than are those who have doctors who do CCW.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
steep occlusal plane = candidate for ccw right

thanks I guess that makes sense

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »
sorry one final thing, we've spoken before about how these videos don't show how bimax affects the rest of the face (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBSCSfwO0os)

So just to clarify, when advancing the maxilla, the base of the nose/ roof of the mouth moved forwards and thus the nose gets better projected right? thats really what I was trying to ask initially I think. pic attached illustrates this

ditterbo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:17:03 PM »
Umm not sure that's a good pic comparison, taking two different heads with very different noses like that. over and out.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »
Umm not sure that's a good pic comparison, taking two different heads with very different noses like that. over and out.

point taken, but the underlying question is still regarding that line & the angle it makes with the vertical. I do understand what you're getting at though, ideally I'd be able to find a morph or BnA

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Dude. I'm sorry. But you need to be spoon fed and I won't do it in reference to your being so CONFUSED that you're even clueless as to why you should not  use photos of 2 different people to ask the questions you do. I don't want to have to give a background TUTORIAL to answer many to all of your questions.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »
One post above yours I clarified that it wasn't ideal.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »
That's an Obwegesser case.  Which is another illustration that just because a surgeon can do a very hard surgery A, doesn't mean he can do a hard surgery B.  A is LF3, B is CCW rotation.  Yet many prospective patients fall into this trap.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
It depends what you mean by a chimplike profile, because there's two main causes which have different effects, both of which could be described as chimplike. According to Gunson, a chimplike profile usually occurs where the vector of maxillary advancement is happening above the vermillion of the lip. This is why CCW or simply concurrent downgrafting helps mitigate it. This will create a profile with excess philtrum fullness. This is different from someone who gets a 'chimplike' profile from simple over advancement. Over advancement leads to the mouth area in general becoming too heavy for the face, as a LF1 moves only the lower portion of the maxilla in isolation. Philtrum fullness is worse. Obviously both at the same time creates an additive effect. The 'heavy mouth' look is difficult to tackle even with concurrent advancement of the orbito-zygomatic complex because the frontal process of the maxilla is left behind.