Author Topic: SARPE Before or During MMA?  (Read 1235 times)

breezeblox

SARPE Before or During MMA?
« on: August 16, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »
I'm getting jaw surgery for OSA.

I have two reasons for wanting SARPE as opposed to MMA+extractions. (1) SARPE allows for better nasal breathing. (2) SARPE will give me more enhanced cheekbones (imo they need to be pushed outward, which is exactly what SARPE will do).

My question: Will I still get changes to the cheekbones if I do SARPE along with MMA? Or would I have to do it beforehand?

Intuitively, it seems that the zygomaxillary arch needs to be intact in order for SARPE to move the cheekbones. Is this true? If not, then I don't see a reason why it needs to be done before MMA.

Thanks

ODog

Re: SARPE Before or During MMA?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »
How is a SARPE going to move the cheekbones when the cut will be in the leftover 1 area ? It won’t affect the cheekbones at all

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 08:26:20 AM »
How is a SARPE going to move the cheekbones when the cut will be in the leftover 1 area ? It won’t affect the cheekbones at all

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=7353.msg64733#msg64733

The rest is MECHANICS. Some force is transferred to the 'cheek bones' directly connected to the CUT areas which are MOVING. They are allowed to move somewhat because the CUTS they make precludes them from RESISTING. The TEXT tells you that but in different words. The text tells you that cuts are made so the separated maxilla does not IMPINGE on the zygoma.

breezeblox

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
The rest is MECHANICS. Some force is transferred to the 'cheek bones' directly connected to the CUT areas which are MOVING. They are allowed to move somewhat because the CUTS they make precludes them from RESISTING. The TEXT tells you that but in different words. The text tells you that cuts are made so the separated maxilla does not IMPINGE on the zygoma.

So just to clarify - the answer is that the LeFort osteotomy will promote lateral expansion of the cheekbones during SARPE?