Author Topic: New surveillance data on calcium phosphate implants  (Read 594 times)

boyo

New surveillance data on calcium phosphate implants
« on: September 04, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
This report describes the outcome of 394 cranioplasties using OSSDSIGN Cranial PSI, a patient-specific implant made from a calcium phosphate material reinforced with 3D printed titanium. All data was collected as part of post-market surveillance following introduction of the product in Europe, US and selected Asian markets. At an average follow-up time of 14 months, 8 implants (2.0%) had been removed due to early postoperative infections and another 6 (1.5%) due to persistent wound dehiscences. None of the explantations were determined to be device related by the operating surgeon. Histological analysis of one implant explanted 31 months following surgery revealed bony integration between the implant and the native bone, as well as new bone formation within and around the remaining calcium phosphate material.

Figure 1. Histological evidence 31 months post implantation. Paragon stained sectioning of OSSDSIGN Cranial PSI shows bony integration between the implant and the recipient bone (rb) as well as new bone formation (nb) within, and around the remaining calcium phosphate material (CaP) and supporting titanium structure (Ti).

http://ossdsign.com/upl/files/150034

I'm really interested in getting these as facial implants. What do you guys think of this report?

Lazlo

• Private
Re: New surveillance data on calcium phosphate implants
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »
I would never use this for facial implants. If you get any sort of break or injury or blow you'd have to have the implant removed.

Its not thorough integration, just a bit in and around the HA. SO its a fail for me. Until they can actually regenerate your own bone and build implants (probably 20 years away) you won't find something that'll do the trick.