Author Topic: I ACTUALLY BELIEVE A LOT OF THIS s**t  (Read 39335 times)

ExtractionsRuinFaces

Re: I ACTUALLY BELIEVE A LOT OF THIS s**t
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »
I'd like to believe that to be true, but honestly I'm not sure --or at least make orthodontists much more responsible and accountable. But frankly, most people get orthodontic work when they are young kids or teenagers and aren't as concerned with researching all the potential risks. And I don't think the inflation of people with bad orthodontic work will eventually trickle down to the mainstream population.

That said, a year and a half ago when I had my bicuspids extracted, there was maybe one or two posts about how extractions were controversial. Now there are dozens and dozens of entries, blogs, testimonies indicating how extractions have ruined people's faces and bites. So you never now. If all that had been on the web back then, I would never have permitted my orthodontist to extract my teeth.

I had teeth extracted back in 07. Went back to the dental practice where it happened last year with an article about tooth extractions and how they damage the facial structure and health of the person. The dentist seeing me mustve noticed the part where it mentioned the parents suing the dental practice.. He was really stuttery/nervous after reading the paper. I just KNEW something was up. Cant believe extractions are still happening to this day. It sickens me.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »
I had teeth extracted back in 07. Went back to the dental practice where it happened last year with an article about tooth extractions and how they damage the facial structure and health of the person. The dentist seeing me mustve noticed the part where it mentioned the parents suing the dental practice.. He was really stuttery/nervous after reading the paper. I just KNEW something was up. Cant believe extractions are still happening to this day. It sickens me.

ERF, what are you going to do about your situation? By the way, did you experience the same things I have after extractions? The feeling of a much narrower space for the tongue, loss of support for lips, any sort of increased teeth sensitivity or gum recession? My lips always feel sort of "pursed" because they have less support, so they have become slimmer also.

I'm just wondering what types of potential solutions you've sought out....

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
ERF, what are you going to do about your situation? By the way, did you experience the same things I have after extractions? The feeling of a much narrower space for the tongue, loss of support for lips, any sort of increased teeth sensitivity or gum recession? My lips always feel sort of "pursed" because they have less support, so they have become slimmer also.

I'm just wondering what types of potential solutions you've sought out....

I kind of went balls to the wall (desperation) and have been treated with an A.L.F appliance for the last several months. Im not sure if it will make my face and teeth grinding issues worse (as people here say it will not work) not sure what I'll do afterwards if it doesnt work.

I have a loss of lip support, midface has sunken in, dark circles under eyes, narrower palate (I think the teeth are tipped though so most of the time my tongue is on the upper palate) also have some jaw asymmetry which has made my masseters different sizes.

Also have pretty bad tooth wear from grinding at night, probably equivalent to an 80 year old no joke XD

Its a crime what they're doing :|

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »
Yes its extremely frustrating. My current treatment plan seems to be going well but my dentist hasnt gone into detail at all so im left in the dark. Will my soft tissue support get worse/better? will i relapse and teeth grind still? I dont even know if tooth extractions caused too much vertical growth. I think I'll consult with a surgeon and get a full analysis to see whats actually up.

i don't think you should obsess over it. nothing we can do. And you should know TONS of people have vertical growth and all sorts of facial deformities who have never ever had any kind of orthodontic work. Most people do not have the genes etc.. for the square jawed high-cheekboned adonis look. that's why models are so rare. so don't stress about it. I do think if certain jaw things were done at an early age (like distraction of the jaw or maxilla etc.. or expansion of arches) it could lead to a better aesthetic result as a teen/adult but those technologies didn't even exist 10 years ago and only very few even use them now.

i'd just focus on what you don't like aesthetically and find a surgeon who has done such operations. I don't know of any in your area.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »

What did the ortho have to say for himself when you showed him the article?
How did the lawsuit turn out for the people in the article?

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
i don't think you should obsess over it. nothing we can do. And you should know TONS of people have vertical growth and all sorts of facial deformities who have never ever had any kind of orthodontic work. Most people do not have the genes etc.. for the square jawed high-cheekboned adonis look. that's why models are so rare. so don't stress about it. I do think if certain jaw things were done at an early age (like distraction of the jaw or maxilla etc.. or expansion of arches) it could lead to a better aesthetic result as a teen/adult but those technologies didn't even exist 10 years ago and only very few even use them now.

i'd just focus on what you don't like aesthetically and find a surgeon who has done such operations. I don't know of any in your area.

I know but im stressing over it because mine wasnt natural. I wasnt supposed to have dark circles under my eyes and a dished in midface. It makes me extremly angry, the person that extracted the teeth was probably well aware of the damage they were doing. It sickens me.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
I know but im stressing over it because mine wasnt natural. I wasnt supposed to have dark circles under my eyes and a dished in midface. It makes me extremly angry, the person that extracted the teeth was probably well aware of the damage they were doing. It sickens me.

I'm not sure about that, orthodontists are for the most part extremely stupid I've noticed. They basically are obsessed with making money and so rarely do any sort of research etc..

CK

• Private
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
I'm not sure about that, orthodontists are for the most part extremely stupid I've noticed. They basically are obsessed with making money and so rarely do any sort of research etc..

yea easy to assume malice but i would say most orthos aren't interested in new research, or if they are it must be aligned with what they have learned in dental school.

doctor's complex i guess. some are more open minded than others but in my interaction it just seems like they will dismiss grievances from the patient. the one ortho who was very understanding with me was young, probably graduated from ortho school only a few years ago. less stubborn than orthos who have been working for decades and are set in their ways.

i was in my orthodontic office awhile back and saw this kid maybe 12 or 13 with a completely retruded lower jaw, like all the way to his neck. and he was about to get his braces off, all smiling and happy. he has no idea. sad.

pekay

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »

i was in my orthodontic office awhile back and saw this kid maybe 12 or 13 with a completely retruded lower jaw, like all the way to his neck. and he was about to get his braces off, all smiling and happy. he has no idea. sad.

witnessed the same scenario years ago at my ortho's office as well

girl mid 20s with a ridiculous underbite and a gummy smile, very similar to this setup

she was super happy that she was getting her braces off at her next appointment. I doubt that she is even aware of jaw surgery
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
witnessed the same scenario years ago at my ortho's office as well

girl mid 20s with a ridiculous underbite and a gummy smile, very similar to this setup

she was super happy that she was getting her braces off at her next appointment. I doubt that she is even aware of jaw surgery

come to think of it i had the gummy smile/open mouth/bleh situation after my million years of braces. although my ortho said i was a candidate for surgery from the get-go, but assured my parents braces would do most of the work and surgery would only treat my bite.  ::) my family was swayed by the confidence of this ortho. anytime a doctor says "surgery" on a kid parents tend to be extra cautious and will probably accept alternative treatment.

there really is no excuse at this point. there is enough evidence to support a reformation of orthodontic treatment, but it may eat into the bottom line so we wont see it until more people become informed.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »

Traditional orthos seem to be yes. Functional orthos seem to know what they're talking about. Some will treat a patient non surgically (minor/moderate) and others will be reffered to a surgeon for surgery as they have an uncorrectable issue. Doesnt seem like they're scamming people for money to me.

Obviously my opinion is slightly biased since im wanting my treatment plan to work and anyone that says it wont I panic but deep down I genuinely think that functional orthos know what they are doing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:48:42 PM by ExtractionsRuinFaces »

Alue

• Private
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
yea easy to assume malice but i would say most orthos aren't interested in new research, or if they are it must be aligned with what they have learned in dental school.

doctor's complex i guess. some are more open minded than others but in my interaction it just seems like they will dismiss grievances from the patient. the one ortho who was very understanding with me was young, probably graduated from ortho school only a few years ago. less stubborn than orthos who have been working for decades and are set in their ways.

I was similar when I got out of braces at age 16, a few months later I was looking in the mirror (well 2 mirrors) at my side profile and noticed how weird it looked.  I went back to the orthodontist to ask him about it and the changes and he quickly brushed me off saying my bite looked fine.  He was finished with me.  Any negative effect done on a child will be blamed on genetics. 

I'm beginning to think of most orthodontists as predators.  The thing that pisses me off the most is most of the victims are children.  I don't know if this thought process is healthy. 

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
I was similar when I got out of braces at age 16, a few months later I was looking in the mirror (well 2 mirrors) at my side profile and noticed how weird it looked.  I went back to the orthodontist to ask him about it and the changes and he quickly brushed me off saying my bite looked fine.  He was finished with me.  Any negative effect done on a child will be blamed on genetics. 

I'm beginning to think of most orthodontists as predators.  The thing that pisses me off the most is most of the victims are children.  I don't know if this thought process is healthy.

Don't worry they brush off adults as well. I mean the f**ker I've been dealing with has full out brushed me off on several occasions saying that the problems I was experiencing were all in my head. Luckily I was taking pictures to track my progress, but when I confronted him with those he told me "oh well that's all going to be corrected through surgery" even though he insisted there would be no such changes due to the orthodontic treatment.

once they've done the damage there's not much you can do....

CK

• Private
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 10:45:45 PM »

this is the attitude ive come to expect. i imagine it would be humiliating and dent the ego if one were to question if their treatment and diagnosis harmed patients. i truly think most of these orthos think what they are doing is perfectly fine. probably only a small portion are malicious and hate their patients.

my ortho insists all children should see an ortho, like it should be mandatory. i think that is bs. but the reality is only a minority of people will leave braces with a deformity. most people have braces for 1-3 years, no extractions or crazy appliance. certainly not headgear i hope.

i noticed when my ortho's retainer fee ran out, and it was a significant sum of money, the attention and focus i got was much less. even though he is contracted to treat me until my braces came off. stuck seeing his partner or assistants more and more. 

Alue

• Private
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 11:08:20 AM »
this is the attitude ive come to expect. i imagine it would be humiliating and dent the ego if one were to question if their treatment and diagnosis harmed patients. i truly think most of these orthos think what they are doing is perfectly fine. probably only a small portion are malicious and hate their patients.

my ortho insists all children should see an ortho, like it should be mandatory. i think that is bs. but the reality is only a minority of people will leave braces with a deformity. most people have braces for 1-3 years, no extractions or crazy appliance. certainly not headgear i hope.

i noticed when my ortho's retainer fee ran out, and it was a significant sum of money, the attention and focus i got was much less. even though he is contracted to treat me until my braces came off. stuck seeing his partner or assistants more and more.

That's true, most get through it unscathed.