Author Topic: Teeth orientation before bimax surgery  (Read 2245 times)

dammit_daniel

Teeth orientation before bimax surgery
« on: September 01, 2018, 12:26:04 AM »
Can anyone tell me how the upper and lower teeth are positioned prior to bimax surgery if the bite is being kept the same?
Does the orthodontist make the teeth in the exact right position for the operation or are the teeth flared or something? And what is the reason for this? Thanks.

bex

Re: Teeth orientation before bimax surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »
Has your surgeon/ortho confirmed that you will need orthodontics prior and/or after bimax?

I can only speak to my own experience, but because my bite was fine and my teeth were straight prior to bimax, I did not have orthodontics before or after surgery.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
Has your surgeon/ortho confirmed that you will need orthodontics prior and/or after bimax?

I can only speak to my own experience, but because my bite was fine and my teeth were straight prior to bimax, I did not have orthodontics before or after surgery.

Who was your surgeon? And what movements did you have? i.e. double jaw, how many mm etc.. ?

dammit_daniel

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »

I'm in braces now, for a total time of 3.5 months.
The max fac said my bite wasn't supposed to change but im 3 weeks in and my upper and lower teeth are all flaring out, and its happened really quickly lol.
Just wondering what the final pre op plan might be?
Im seeing ortho tomorro thou so ill ask then.

bex

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:17:34 PM »
Who was your surgeon? And what movements did you have? i.e. double jaw, how many mm etc.. ?

I had double jaw + sliding genioplasty. You can see my surgical plans below (surgeon was Dr. Patel). I had custom titanium plates, so things didn't deviate much from the surgical plan.

dammit_daniel

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
I had double jaw + sliding genioplasty. You can see my surgical plans below (surgeon was Dr. Patel). I had custom titanium plates, so things didn't deviate much from the surgical plan.

Hey Bex,
Looks like you had quite a big movement. I am getting CCW combined with a small amount of foward advancement of both jaws and no impaction of the maxilla. Do you know if the nostrils will flare at all with this kind of movement or does nostril flaring only occur with impaction of the maxilla?

april

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 10:22:51 PM »
Daniel, it may be that they need to change the inclinations/angulations of your front teeth to accommodate for the CCW? I don't really know though. Let us know what your ortho says.

bex

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »
Hey Bex,
Looks like you had quite a big movement. I am getting CCW combined with a small amount of foward advancement of both jaws and no impaction of the maxilla. Do you know if the nostrils will flare at all with this kind of movement or does nostril flaring only occur with impaction of the maxilla?

Sorry, I honestly don't know - wish I could be more helpful! From my personal experience - my nostrils probably flare a tiny bit more than before, but nothing too noticeable. I'd ask your surgeon - although, I think it's hard to determine soft-tissue changes.

junebug90

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »
Where is your surgeon Dr. Patel out of?

bex

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 10:16:42 AM »
@junebug90 - Dr. Patel is in Portland, OR at Head, Neck & Surgical Associates.