Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 760 times)

junebug90

New to forum
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »
Hi all! I’m new to this forum and joined with the intention of learning more about jaw surgery and to find an experienced oral surgeon for my case. After struggling with several TMJ-related issues for the last 3 years, I recently (and finally) visited an orthodontist. It was then that I found out I will need SARPE to correct a crossbite. She told me there wasn’t much she could do for me and referred me to an Oral and Maxillofacial surgery center at a big teaching hospital in my city. After some research, I’ve come to the conclusion that there aren’t too many OMS out there that have an aesthetic eye, like way too few. I feel my appearance has already suffered after 8 years of orthodontic care that I started at the age of 9. Post orthodontics, I regularly struggled with my appearance, as I always felt it was “off”. But almost 10 years and several functional issues related to my TMJ later, I realize how everything happens to intertwine. It wasn’t until I came across forums like this one that I became exposed to terminology that  finally put a name to things I feel are wrong with my face. I’m still mind blown how all my functional issues stem from my upper and lower jaws. In my personal and unprofessional opinion, I feel I have midface deficiency, paranasal deficiency, malar hypoplasia, maxillary hypoplasia, and mandibular retrusion. I’m hopeful to find a surgeon that can correct my functional issues, whilst taking into consideration the aesthetic consequences of his job, and improving my aesthetic concerns. It seems many of you on here are very well-versed in jaw surgery and are very helpful. I look forward to being apart of this forum! Any and all recommendations or warnings regarding surgeons and the surgical process are welcome.

Thanks!
Junebug