Author Topic: NON SURGICAL PALATAL EXPANSION IS AVAILABLE FOR ADULTS  (Read 10541 times)

Lazlo

• Private
NON SURGICAL PALATAL EXPANSION IS AVAILABLE FOR ADULTS
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
Okay, i thought you guys should know because the ortho told me today and showed me in the journal of orthodontics that they've now done tests etc. to show that they can expand nonsurgically in adults (the upper palate). This is of course great news but too late for me. I just thought people should know this is now an option and if you need it you should find an ortho who knows how to do it.

It also goes to kind of show how primitive this f**king field is. Why had they not figured this out before!!??

Kristen

• Private
Re: NON SURGICAL PALATAL EXPANSION IS AVAILABLE FOR ADULTS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
You could still do it and put implants in, right?
What method do they use for nonsurgical expansion?

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
That is great news! it unfortunately takes longer than SARPE and isnt as effective but it still works.

Also to anyone that wants to find a functional orthodontist in their area go to this website http://www.iaortho.com/ Just go to find doctor and find one in your area, I would get 2 different opinions.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
That is great news! it unfortunately takes longer than SARPE and isnt as effective but it still works.

Also to anyone that wants to find a functional orthodontist in their area go to this website http://www.iaortho.com/ Just go to find doctor and find one in your area, I would get 2 different opinions.

Well it's not the same thing as "functional orthodontics" --what I understand is that it's part of newly emergent technology to widen the palate --I dont know how it works. Even though I agree "extractions ruin faces..."

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
Well it's not the same thing as "functional orthodontics" --what I understand is that it's part of newly emergent technology to widen the palate --I dont know how it works. Even though I agree "extractions ruin faces..."

ALF has been proven to work in adults. I think current expansion techniques still work, non surgical you have to move the palate somehow. I dont see what could be different with this new technology.

Do you have any information on this new technology though? and yes extractions do ruin faces =[ black bags under eyes, dished in midface, recessed jaw and narrow palate ftw

CK

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »

Do you have any information on this new technology though? and yes extractions do ruin faces =[ black bags under eyes, dished in midface, recessed jaw and narrow palate ftw

as an adult? i dont know. maybe as a kid but once youre down growing i would imagine extractions would only affect the mouth and bite.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
as an adult? i dont know. maybe as a kid but once youre down growing i would imagine extractions would only affect the mouth and bite.

yes, as an adult, the ortho and surgeon i spoke with both said this is a new "emergent technology" it's palatal expansion and it's non surgical, i don't know anything else.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
yes, as an adult, the ortho and surgeon i spoke with both said this is a new "emergent technology" it's palatal expansion and it's non surgical, i don't know anything else.

Interesting. I find that really weird to comprehend since if its non surgical they'll have to use similar methods to current palatal expansion surely? according to surgeons the bones are ossified so how is this possible?

Hopefully some light is shed on it soon.

Moon Pix 1985

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »
Hey Lazlo
Have you heard anything else about this since your OP?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
Hey Lazlo
Have you heard anything else about this since your OP?

my ortho said they can't use it on me now cause they did extractions. it is aviailable --they just use the normal expander they use on kids and hammer away till the suture breaks and it expands. without surgery. he didn't sound too enthused about it. i'll ask him again next time.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »

I dunno man, I have had no extractions. My upper palate and arch are nothing short of perfect. I still have them bags.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »
I attribute eye bags to a weak orbital rim. You can make up for it with a fat transfer in most cases but I would prefer to address the skeletal issue.