Author Topic: Maurice Mommaerts  (Read 56806 times)

adelv

Re: More Mommaerts
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
If you would read the other replies in this thread then you would notice that many here don't recommend him for anything. I can PM you his personal e-mail address if you want to but I recommend staying away from him.

gregor thank you for your reply
can you tell why no one recommand him ? i though he was one of the best surgeon in europe, did i miss something ?
i have read on "the best european surgeons" thread that mommearts was one of the  best in the world ?

applejuice

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
Dont be lazy and read the thread  >:(

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
I think the previous posts here speak for the themselves but I'll give you some bullet points:

• People don't like the surgery plan he presented when they consulted with him.
  • He is very arrogant and has a god complex. A lot of people have complained about how he presents himself.
  • It's hard to find anyone on the forums I frequent that is actually happy with their surgery with him. Virtually all the people who have posted here are unhappy with the result they got from their surgery with him. In a few cases this stems from him promising results that were unrealistic or him botching the surgery in a bad way (according to second opinions from other surgeons).
  • The department at the hospital he works at is very disorganized and it can lead to a lot of confusion and practical annoyances.

I can't really say how good he is at rhinoplasty although I would caution against having it done with someone that does not truly specialize in it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:50:33 PM by Gregor Samsa »

adelv

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
Dont be lazy and read the thread  >:(

calm down applejuice no need to be upset i'm just asking a question because i'm suprised that this doctor have bed rep

adelv

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
I think the previous posts here speak for the themselves but I'll give you some bullet points:

• People don't like the surgery plan he presented when they consulted with him.
  • He is very arrogant and has a god complex. A lot of people have complained about how he presents himself.
  • It's hard to find anyone on the forums I frequent that is actually happy with their surgery with him. Virtually all the people who have posted here are unhappy with the result they got from their surgery with him. In a few cases this stems from him promising results that were unrealistic or him botching the surgery in a bad way (according to second opinions from other surgeons).
  • The department at the hospital he works at is very disorganized and it can lead to a lot of confusion and practical annoyances.

I can't really say how good he is at rhinoplasty although I would caution against having it done with someone that does not truly specialize in it.

thank you so much Gregor, now i'm very sad because i thought he was the perfect surgeon for me since he can perform so many different surgeries,work not far from where i live, speak french etc...
now i don't know who to choose  :(

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
It's worth having a consultation with him so you can judge him for yourself. Make sure you request to see a lot of before/after pictures of the particular surgery you're interested in and pressure him to give you realistic expectations. It certainly can't hurt to have one more surgeon's opinion even if you don't choose him in the end.

adelv

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »
It's worth having a consultation with him so you can judge him for yourself. Make sure you request to see a lot of before/after pictures of the particular surgery you're interested in and pressure him to give you realistic expectations. It certainly can't hurt to have one more surgeon's opinion even if you don't choose him in the end.

yes i think this is what i'm going to do
gregor do you know a good surgeon that can do Jaw augmentation (i would like to have a squared jaw) and that can correct jaw asymmetry?

geijutsu

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »
Jaw surgery does not give a a square jaw, it just realigns your jaw to a better angle/position. So far, the only predictable option to get a square jaw is implants.

Perfectionist

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
(TL;DR: First my experience with Mommaerts a while ago and then some questions about possible future interactions or alternatives.)

This is so strange. A year ago, there were many raving reviews about Mommaerts all over the internet and he was regarded as somewhat of a miracle worker. It was then (late 2012) that I went for a consultation with him. I can say right off the bat that his department is completely disorganized and was annoying to work with. Like with everything, how I felt about that depends entirely on the context and has multiple sides as on the other hand a disorganized department may indicate that he is one of those people who focus entirely on the actual work with not much regard for organization (these can be the miracle workers).

When I went, I was on the one hand put off by the hospital setting (in contrast to many aesthetic surgeons' settings which are often more inspiring), but on the other hand it inspired confidence as it was a "real hospital". The rest of the consultation was pretty much by the book and as has been described a number of times (told M about my wishes and concerns, made a morph and then talked some more). Overall, I had a bad feeling about the whole thing. I don't really remember why, it was just intuition. I think it was mostly down to the university setting, because I know how medicine in university hospitals works (big chance you get some rookie working on your case with "guidance" from the prof, by the way I think he likes being addressed as professor, or at least I got that vibe from his staff). I also personally didn't get a great vibe from him, but that is totally subjective and not something I let into my decision making too much (after all I'm there for his cutting skills not his people skills. In fact people skills can be deceiving if you are not careful!).

As I felt unsure, I wanted to schedule another consult to go over things again. It took a while to even have them respond to my email and after that, it would take about half a year for the second consult to take place. My patience has limits, so I sent him a list of questions, which on second thought may have been a little forward but on the other hand were things I deserved to know. They contained questions about the approval rates of patients with regards to the surgeries I was considering and whether or not I would be operated on by anyone I hadn't explicitly signed off on. In response to this, he replied via mail he was unsure he could meet my expectations and had decided to drop my case. Upon pressing further (and insisting my expectations were realistic, which they mostly were), he replied within a few minutes that "a patient should have a certain confidence in his surgeon". He then decided to still do one aspect (sliding genioplasty) but not the rest (seemed flip-floppy to me). I replied that it was not a lack of confidence (and that I found it bothersome he thought so) but rather just caution on my part. I never received a reply about that.

I think this story corresponds well to everything people have been placing in this thread. But I also have to say I have never seen pictures of an actually bad result from MM. I have seen some mediocre ones, but for all of them the starting point was bad and I doubt much more could have been achieved realistically (without taking much more risk).

Fast-forward to present day, I had part of my surgeries with another surgeon. The results were not immediately 100% satisfactory but the surgeon understood my concerns and there will be anotehr surgery very soon. I'm not going to bother you with the story about how this situation came to be, but some deliberation and emotional rollercoastering went into it. Regardless I already look better, I just think it can look even better (and my surgeon agrees and doesn't charge much for the second round so I'm confident).

Anyhow, I've recently renewed my interest in Mommaerts because of his Zygoma Sandwhich Osteotomy. It seems like the perfect fit for me because I need some (very little 0.5-1.5mm) frontal projection, a little lateral projection (1-5mm it depends, maybe I Need more than I think) but especially I need the whole arch to move up my face vertically (i.e. the broadest point of my face needs to move up significantly). I asked them for a consult again (explaining I'd had my surgery and was considering one probably final item with MM) and they actually replied pretty quick and said I was welcome for another consultation.

Obviously I'm going to go, but I would also like to know if anyone knows any alternatives for zygoma work? It seems a specialized field that not many operate in.

P.s. I want to re-iterate that I have not once seen a "bad" result from MM and everybody who is crying wolf in this thread just seems silly. I don't think he is particularly courteous or customer-friendly and I wouldn't want to have worked with him for the things my other surgeon did (who is all those things), but for a single well-defined surgery I will still consider him. I also still think it is strange that 1-2 years ago everybody was raving about him, and suddenly everybody is very negative. That seems suspicious to me. Maybe people just had way too high expactations.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
There are people with bad results, trust me. You don't see them because people are reluctant to post their results or because they post them in the private forum section. I had surgery with Mommaerts and recently showed my after pictures to a different surgeon and he thought it was how I looked pre-surgery because it still looks like I have an underbite.

falcao

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
There are people with bad results, trust me. You don't see them because people are reluctant to post their results or because they post them in the private forum section. I had surgery with Mommaerts and recently showed my after pictures to a different surgeon and he thought it was how I looked pre-surgery because it still looks like I have an underbite.

This is exactly my experience. After the surgery with Mommaerts in December last year I have had a few consults with top surgeons and they all thought initially I was pre-op judging by the way I look. This is how bad my outcome is. I had one of the best surgeons in the world calling my jaw "a mess".As far as my occlusion is concerned,  instead of being out of braces shortly after the surgery, I have to endure another year of complex and expensive orthodnotic treatment.

Enough said, but if you have any questions do ask before you make the worst decision of your life.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:17:55 PM by falcao »

Modigliani

• Private
Re: Maurice Mommaerts
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
What a joke, this monster shouldn't be allowed to operate, never mind chair a committee. I've half a mind to turn up there and show off an example of the esteemed Prof Mommaert's butchery skills.

http://www.facialmakeover2014.com/Welcome.aspx 

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
I'd say it's even worse that he's a professor and gets to teach other surgeons. I'm not sure what he has to teach other surgeons when he can't even manage to get the surgery plan right most of the time. So far I have not seen a single person on this forum that received a surgery plan from him that they were happy with.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »
Bumping this for any prospective victims that might be lurking.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:28:16 PM by Modigliani »

Balanced

« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
I can sadly confirm all of the above regard MM and the so call European Face Centre.
More on this when i can.