Author Topic: Surgeon told me my only option is a sliding genioplasty or a chin implant  (Read 1923 times)

TheDancingQueen

I had a consultation with a maxillofacial surgeon and he told me it was not possible to move my jaw forward because my teeth were touching. He recommended moving my chin forward through a genioplasty or a chin implant.

I always thought I needed at least a bsso, is a bsso not possible if your teeth are in the correct position?

Based on my Ceph does it look like there are any functional issues?

http://imgur.com/8JaxxAD

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: Surgeon told me my only option is a sliding genioplasty or a chin implant
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »
Since you have correct occlusion you can't perform only a bsso. Any way you move only the mandible from a correct occlusion, you'll get it wrong. So the possibilities are either moving both jaws, a chin implant or maybe if there's some room to perform orthodontic work and creating some space, but it would probably be a double jaw surgery any way.

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:56:22 PM »
Check for sleep apnea, your airway looks suspect. That is if you want to pursue jaw surgery (which in your case would have to be bimax, not single jaw for reasons mentioned above)

bex

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
Check for sleep apnea, your airway looks suspect.

Damn, this! I'm shocked your surgeon didn't mention that... your airway looks extremely narrow. Do you have sleep, breathing, jaw pain, and/or concentration/cognitive issues? If so, I'd strongly suspect you have OSA due to the structure of your jaws. That was my situation and I had bimax PLUS a sliding genioplasty.

face_backward

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 04:28:42 PM »
Absolutely, that's some intense airway restriction.  At my best guess at the scale of this ceph, there's maybe 2-3 mm of AP airway space there at the minimum -- about 25% of normal.

dvfan

Wowsers did your surgeon really not mention your airway restriction? Can you please update and tell us who your surgeon was? I would want to know since if he proposes a chin implant and doesn't discuss the very apparent airway restriction your ceph shows, you have a problem there with this guy.

TheDancingQueen

Wowsers did your surgeon really not mention your airway restriction? Can you please update and tell us who your surgeon was? I would want to know since if he proposes a chin implant and doesn't discuss the very apparent airway restriction your ceph shows, you have a problem there with this guy.

I don't remember the surgeons name but it wasn't anyone well known.

Now I'm planning to see a doctor to get a sleep study and hopefully get referred to another maxillofacial surgeon.

d*mn, this! I'm shocked your surgeon didn't mention that... your airway looks extremely narrow. Do you have sleep, breathing, jaw pain, and/or concentration/cognitive issues? If so, I'd strongly suspect you have OSA due to the structure of your jaws. That was my situation and I had bimax PLUS a sliding genioplasty.

Yeah I've had those issues my entire life, but no doctor/dentist/orthodontist has ever mentioned anything. I guess the hard part would be to find a doctor or surgeon that recognizes that I have a problem.