Author Topic: Definitive Guide to Facial Implants: Reality Edition 2019  (Read 6208 times)

scramfranklin

Re: Definitive Guide to Facial Implants: Reality Edition 2019
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
Your palate looks wide enough given brachys have BROAD faces and that's from the palate.

Both jaws by same/similar amount is close to linear advancement which is consistent with brachys who have pretty good bites.

Since brachys usually have short chins, then a type of genio that BOTH advances it and elongates it which is not a sliding genio which is a diagonally upward movement. You might need a type of genio that moves chin diagonally DOWNWARD (down and out) with a bone buttress in between the cut parts. Diagonally downward that way is CLOCKWISE rotation to the chin which can be used to offset 'short' lower 1/3 or 'short chin' common with brachys.

I don't know of a jaw implant that increases the MPA. But the type of genio I mentioned could help give that effect.

Think about a jaw implant only if you want to ARTICULATE the back angle. But that is a wait and see process. Not something I can advise on at this point in time.

ETA: elongating the jaw 'evenly' does not transform brachy into meso or doli. You would still be brachy.

Thanks Kavan. I'll bring up that type of genio, and take things one step at a time. Jaw surgery/genio first.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »
Thanks Kavan. I'll bring up that type of genio, and take things one step at a time. Jaw surgery/genio first.

Yes. Bring up the type of 'down and out' genio with bone buttress inbetween to advance and elongate to give clockwise rotation effect to chin.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 09:04:11 PM »
Your argument fails to distinguish between CHRONIC inflammation that arises from a steady supply of irritants from a ONE TIME introduction of a foreign material that the body walls off by the INITIAL inflammatory response to it's entry. For that reason, your contention that inflammation will 'always exist' (after introduction of a solid silicone implant), is NOT convincing to me. Here is why:

With silicone breast implants, the problem was their breaking where leaks of the highly viscous (thick) silicone within escaped. But initially, the women did not know that because the the breast volume from them looked the SAME. All they knew was that they were having a bunch of symptoms. Further diagnostic explorations revealed leaks from the implants which in turn were correlated with a CHRONIC inflammatory response associated with some of the health complaints. Such inflammatory responses are MEASURABLE as in high C reactive protein.

The body will have an INITIAL inflammatory response to any foreign material placed inside. But it peters out after it STAYS PUT and becomes encapsulated. So the body can get used to it where it does not kick up constant or chronic inflammation. Constant inflammation is chronic inflammation which is kicked off by a STEADY SUPPLY of irritants such as leaky silicone breast implants or food irritants. The inflammation process for constant introduction of irritants doesn't peter out. It becomes CHRONIC and can be MEASURED. Solid silicone implants are not associated with chronic or continued inflammation because they don't continue to introduce a steady supply of IRRITANTS into the immune system as do food irritants or leaking silicone. So, I'm not sure you distinguish the different between constant introduction of irritants that kick up chronic inflammation and a one time introduction of a foreign material encapsulated by the initial inflammatory process to wall it off.

A leaking silicone implant and daily intake of food 'irritants' ('s**tty diet') can kick up CHRONIC inflammation because they introduce a STEADY SUPPLY of irritants. But here, your ARGUMENT likens similar chronic inflammation to something (solid silicone face implant) AFTER it's totally encapsulated and not actually introducing a constant supply of irritants.  Hence, I would not equate or conflate things that don't relate with chronic IRRITANTS arising from bad foods and leaking breast implants with solid silicone implants.

Not sure what is meant by 'low level sub clinical' inflammation other that it implies a type of inflammation low enough that CAN'T be measured. C-Reactive protein tests (CRP), of which there is a really sensitive one and sedimentation rate tests CAN measure levels of inflammation where all levels BELOW a certain range would be considered GOOD/EXCELLENT as in NO inflammation issue to fret about. So, if this 'low level sub clinical level' of inflammation you speak of is something that can't be measured BECAUSE it's below a level considered good/excellent, it is therefore nothing to worry about because having a level of inflammation that is so LOW it can't be measured clinically is a GOOD thing.

Your argument made here, fails to convince me because you don't distinguish chronic or continued inflammation (brought on by introduction of a steady supply of irritants) from the initial inflammatory response where a one time introduction of a material is walled off. It's not an argument that can be buttressed by 'possible sub clinical low levels of chronic inflammation'. WHY? Because inflammation that is so LOW where it's called 'sub clinical' or where it could not be measured (on a C-reactive protein test that measures levels of inflammation) would be nothing to worry about. I'm not sure you realize that a 'low sub clinical level of inflammation' (which you say could be a problem with solid silicone implants) would NOT be considered an inflammation problem at all if it defied clinical measurement.

You know that there are tests to measure levels of inflammation right?

Personally, I don't really know that much about implants, but I glanced at something
called CT-Bone. I'm curious to your thoughts on this?

It says: "CT-BoneĀ® is a bone-like customized implant that can be 3D
printed and is converted to real bone by the patient."

I wonder about the low level inflammation caused by something foreign, even titanium.  More studies are just starting to come out about the low level inflammation from dental implants. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6107454/

The CT-Bone looks impressive, is that approved for use in the United States?Has anyone ever seen a jaw implant used to fix bone erosion in my picture below. Can an an implant even be formed for this? If the defect i am seeking to repair was caused by stress shielding of the plates and screws from jaw surgery, does it increase the risk of implant failure. Basically want to know if i should leave it alone unless its an active process still at this point.

IconVillage

• Private
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 11:57:31 PM »
Any thoughts regarding PEEK vs. Titanium? I've heard Titanium looks very promising, but I've also heard some max-facs say that it's too heavy and not something you'd want to put in your face. Looking at DeFrancq's PEEK results however, I have to say they're a bit lackluster.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:20:38 AM by IconVillage »