Author Topic: Does anyone know how to read a cephalometric analysis of an xray?  (Read 2494 times)

RedLips

I have a lateral cephalogram xray, but I do't know quite how to read it and I don't want to pay a doctor to do it after I spent thousands on the xrays already.

RedLips

Re: Does anyone know how to read a cephalometric analysis of an xray?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
Not sure I'd bother to given the orientation looks suspect. Important parts of the cranial base are missing, the cepholostat showing the true horizontal and vertical are ABSENT and the strange diagonal orientation with reference to the black background.

Looks off because the Frankfort Horizont is about 11 degrees away from a true horizont.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

RedLips

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
Not sure I'd bother to given the orientation looks suspect. Important parts of the cranial base are missing, the cepholostat showing the true horizontal and vertical are ABSENT and the strange diagonal orientation with reference to the black background.

Looks off because the Frankfort Horizont is about 11 degrees away from a true horizont.

Does this help at all? https://imgur.com/a/LrjhtGa

And here is a different angle: https://imgur.com/a/QbT9cFW

I thought the y-axis was the important part in terms of facial length. I hate how long my midface is and how high my gonial angle is. I know it's definitely dramatically longer than it's supposed to be, to the point where I can't be pretty if I don't get it fixed.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:25:26 PM »
Ya. It helps establish there is something wrong here with a ceph that has been CUT OFF in such a way that you can change the angle of orientation and not include the whole thing WITH the cephalostat in the background.

RedLips

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
Ya. It helps establish there is something wrong here with a ceph that has been CUT OFF in such a way that you can change the angle of orientation and not include the whole thing WITH the cephalostat in the background.

I don't know if it matters any, but I spent $1200 for xrays with this doctor and then he refused to send me any of them. He sent me this after I nagged him a few times, though he made it a point to tell me that he waived the $100 fee as a courtesy.

Wouldn't the strange angle just mean my face is so long that they needed to turn the xray to fit it?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
I don't know if it matters any, but I spent $1200 for xrays with this doctor and then he refused to send me any of them. He sent me this after I nagged him a few times, though he made it a point to tell me that he waived the $100 fee as a courtesy.

Wouldn't the strange angle just mean my face is so long that they needed to turn the xray to fit it?

Which doctor gave you a ceph where parts of it are MISSING--CUT OFF-- such as the cranial base where the cephalostat should be?  Was that really the doctor's doing or was it yours?

I ask because your history here IS one of showing photos at angles NOT used to evaluate photos and all that comes from comes from a ' Me so pretty--yes--no?--  BDD generator' A lot of your stuff just resolves to JSF being a dumping ground for this. It's unclear whether you are looking for information/advice or just looking to constantly feed what ever defective internal feedback device you have where you're unable to post anything absent of the 'me so pretty, me so not pretty BDD, me long face' generator.

RedLips

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
Which doctor gave you a ceph where parts of it are MISSING--CUT OFF-- such as the cranial base where the cephalostat should be?  Was that really the doctor's doing or was it yours?

I ask because your history here IS one of showing photos at angles NOT used to evaluate photos and all that comes from comes from a ' Me so pretty--yes--no?--  BDD generator' A lot of your stuff just resolves to JSF being a dumping ground for this. It's unclear whether you are looking for information/advice or just looking to constantly feed what ever defective internal feedback device you have where you're unable to post anything absent of the 'me so pretty, me so not pretty BDD, me long face' generator.

Wow, harsh. I have posted photos at the correct angles. I've also posted photos that weren't necessarily at clinical angles but that I felt showcased my jaw problems.

Here's the exact email Dr. David Momtaheni sent me a couple years back. Notice that the xray is tilted even in the attachment. I did not manipulate them in any way.
  https://imgur.com/Iqln9bb

RedLips

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »

I've used this board for information and advice, and I've taken a lot of the suggestions people here have given me. I took camouflage measures with fillers, but I'm also wondering if maybe my skeletal issues are enough to warrant the risk of surgery. If you think I'm merely trying to seek validation, you don't have to answer my posts.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »

I've used this board for information and advice, and I've taken a lot of the suggestions people here have given me. I took camouflage measures with fillers, but I'm also wondering if maybe my skeletal issues are enough to warrant the risk of surgery. If you think I'm merely trying to seek validation, you don't have to answer my posts.

For a long while I have elected NOT to address them. But the time has come (based on your posting history and OVER MAGNIFIED focus on 'long midface' to call into question whether you might have BDD. As I see it, you've already been given some good feedback relative to your concern about 'long face'/skeletal issues.  Here's that thread:

Ref= http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6655.msg55924#msg55924

Very good response to you by poster; 'CCW' who told you that you SOUND like you have LFS (long face syndrome). That's right, everything you EXPRESS does SOUND like you have LFS. Key phrase here is 'SOUNDS LIKE'. Well, of course, it 'sounds like you have LFS' BECAUSE you over exaggerate the extent of it.

He gave you a good response when he said:

I saw your pictures. You have a gummy smile, lip incompetence with visible chin dimpling, bimax recession with a flattish chin and increased anterior facial height, so technically you do have the classic earmarks for LFS albeit your case is not severe. You don't have a long midface because your nose is the same length as your forehead which means they're balanced. If you want to fix it and make your face "normal", you need bimax with counterclockwise rotation. Not many surgeons can perform it well, though. Gunson is the best, so schedule a consultation with him if you're serious about fixing this and have the money and motivation.

But when CCW gave you an action plan for this your response was:

Is it that bad? I didn't realize it was clinical LFS. .....

So, clearly, you know that your 'long face' is NOT that bad BUT you ELECT to make it SOUND LIKE it's clinical LFS via BDD Drama Queen stuff.

That said, if you really think your 'long face' is THAT BAD, then take the advice CCW gave you in that string.  If you DON'T think it's that bad to line up a consult with Gunson, then SOUNDING OFF in just about all you posts about how 'bad' you think your 'long face' is just drama queen bdd 'Me so pretty, me so not pretty--yes--no' drama queen BDD bulls**t.

Sorry, but you don't present as someone who is genuinely seeking maxfax advice. You come off as an attention hound or someone wanting to use JSF as a dumping ground to vent about insecurities that most likely arise from BDD.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »

Wow, harsh. I have posted photos at the correct angles. I've also posted photos that weren't necessarily at clinical angles but that I felt showcased my jaw problems.

Here's the exact email Dr. David Momtaheni sent me a couple years back. Notice that the xray is tilted even in the attachment. I did not manipulate them in any way.
  https://imgur.com/Iqln9bb

Well, I told you WHY I asked the question (because of your history of showing photos at wrong angles).  Indeed parts are cut off and you've established the doctor did it.  So, it's not a good presentation on his part because he cut off the cranial base of it and doesn't show the cephalostat.

RedLips

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 05:02:16 PM »
For a long while I have elected NOT to address them. But the time has come (based on your posting history and OVER MAGNIFIED focus on 'long midface' to call into question whether you might have BDD. As I see it, you've already been given some good feedback relative to your concern about 'long face'/skeletal issues.  Here's that thread:

Ref= http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6655.msg55924#msg55924

Very good response to you by poster; 'CCW' who told you that you SOUND like you have LFS (long face syndrome). That's right, everything you EXPRESS does SOUND like you have LFS. Key phrase here is 'SOUNDS LIKE'. Well, of course, it 'sounds like you have LFS' BECAUSE you over exaggerate the extent of it.

He gave you a good response when he said:

But when CCW gave you an action plan for this your response was:

So, clearly, you know that your 'long face' is NOT that bad BUT you ELECT to make it SOUND LIKE it's clinical LFS via BDD Drama Queen stuff.

That said, if you really think your 'long face' is THAT BAD, then take the advice CCW gave you in that string.  If you DON'T think it's that bad to line up a consult with Gunson, then SOUNDING OFF in just about all you posts about how 'bad' you think your 'long face' is just drama queen bdd 'Me so pretty, me so not pretty--yes--no' drama queen BDD bulls**t.

Sorry, but you don't present as someone who is genuinely seeking maxfax advice. You come off as an attention hound or someone wanting to use JSF as a dumping ground to vent about insecurities that most likely arise from BDD.

I contacted Dr. Gunson today.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 05:11:42 PM »

I contacted Dr. Gunson today.

OK.  Let us know what he has to say.  That other guy with the strange ceph looks more like a wisdom tooth puller or tooth implant guy than anyone anyone here would suggest to seek out maxfax aesthetic surgery with.

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 09:19:47 PM »
It's ridiculous that the office wants to charge you for copies of your own xrays.

korvitz

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »
How does xrays cost $1200 what did you also do an f**king MRI scan as well lol??? Was this just for an Lat Ceph & an OPG? Why would they refuse to send it to you?