Author Topic: Those who have travelled for surgery - What was your experience like?  (Read 3192 times)

breezeblox

In particular: (1) how long did you stay in the surgery-city after the operation? (2) How did you handle postop visits?

I should note that I’m getting MMA + SARPE for OSA.

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: Those who have travelled for surgery - What was your experience like?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:11:23 AM »
In particular: (1) how long did you stay in the surgery-city after the operation? (2) How did you handle postop visits?

I haven't done it, but I've consultet with surgeons who take international patients. Normally it's one mandatory hospital day after surgery, not sure if they maybe want to see you after a couple of days, before you head home. You probably have to go there one more time for a post op visit for x-rays etc.

Austinou88

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »

It was about a 6 hour drive to Dallas, where I got my Rhinoplasty/TCA Peel done.
I stayed in a hotel the night before, had the surgery the following day, then had my family drive me home right after the surgery. 

Then I had my family drive me back for the 1st follow up appointment, and I drove myself there for the other 2.
It's not really worth flying unless its half way across the country. At that point I would just fly with a family member, get an Uber, and find a really cheap hotel to stay in. I recommend Google Flights for finding a good deal. I also wouldn't recommend going overseas somewhere, because there's always going to be someone who's experienced enough locally in the country.

Austinou88

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 05:06:42 AM »

Check this out. Should be helpful: https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/travel-itinerary-template.html

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 02:26:34 PM »
It was about a 6 hour drive to Dallas, where I got my Rhinoplasty/TCA Peel done.
I stayed in a hotel the night before, had the surgery the following day, then had my family drive me home right after the surgery. 

Then I had my family drive me back for the 1st follow up appointment, and I drove myself there for the other 2.
It's not really worth flying unless its half way across the country. At that point I would just fly with a family member, get an Uber, and find a really cheap hotel to stay in. I recommend Google Flights for finding a good deal. I also wouldn't recommend going overseas somewhere, because there's always going to be someone who's experienced enough locally in the country.

I'm happy to hear that your family is supportive, at least. My parents are the most deluded for one.

Austinou88

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 12:53:54 PM »
I'm happy to hear that your family is supportive, at least. My parents are the most deluded for one.
Actually my parents weren't supportive, and they told me I was being foolish for trying to do it.
If you wanna ki,ll a big dream, tell it to a small minded person.

Don't tell people what you are doing, just go do it and show them after.
Have your own self affirmation.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:05:49 PM »
Actually my parents weren't supportive, and they told me I was being foolish for trying to do it.
If you wanna ki,ll a big dream, tell it to a small minded person.

Don't tell people what you are doing, just go do it and show them after.
Have your own self affirmation.

My parents don't agree with me about my looks, lol. Every parents tell their kids that they are handsome/pretty no matter how deluded the statement is. Its really stupid.

Were your parents telling you that you were foolish about your looks or were they giving you the "you're fine dude" spiel?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
traveling for surgery is TOTALLY no big deal. It would be nice if you have a parent or friend with you, make sure your travel back is armed with all the painkillers you can afford/carry (not that you need them but in cast) and rest for at least 2 weeks before travelling back. I rested only 1 week and that was too soon to handle the flight and all that s**t.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »
traveling for surgery is TOTALLY no big deal.

It's no big deal in case everything works out fine and everyone is happy. In case of complications, revision etc, it can be a nightmare to fight this in another country.

Reality

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 12:31:12 AM »
It's no big deal in case everything works out fine and everyone is happy. In case of complications, revision etc, it can be a nightmare to fight this in another country.

^^THIS x100 -Fortunately my surgeon is legit so no issues there but logistically speaking, it was vicious -5k just in traveling. Not to mention being en route with an infection - not fun, nor a good look!

beautyislife

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:24 AM »
^^THIS x100 -Fortunately my surgeon is legit so no issues there but logistically speaking, it was vicious -5k just in traveling. Not to mention being en route with an infection - not fun, nor a good look!

who was your surgeon