Author Topic: Planing my Jaw Surgery. Whats the best option  (Read 1724 times)

lilaboy

Planing my Jaw Surgery. Whats the best option
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:01:13 AM »
Hi guys,

my jaw surgery is in a month and my surgeon and I are still planing.

The first option he gave me: 6mm lower jaw surgery only (+genio if i want).iMo that sounds so small. He said he could do a bimax with CCW but my upper jaw is already in a good place.

What do you guys think? On other forums people said with a DJS my cheekbones will be left behind and it will look odd and i would need implants for it etc, many complications.

Pros bimax: more advancement, better forwardgrowth looking
Cons: could ruin harmony, maybe need a nosejob after and cheeck/midface implants.

Thanks for every answer

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:28:47 PM by lilaboy »

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Planing my Jaw Surgery. Whats the best option
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 01:24:47 PM »
Most of what can go wrong (e.g. nose, impaction, etc) in a case like this is in the upper jaw, so if you can get by without it, then you probably should. Just my opinion.

How will you get lower advancement, though, without moving the upper? Do you have a large overjet?

You shouldn't be planning your surgery, btw, so that's a red flag he's allowing you to make decisions.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:49:29 PM »
Jutting out the jaw gives the message that you 'see' (for yourself) that the jaw to jaw balance looks better that way. Jutting the jaw usually requires someone to DROP it down somewhat in order to jut it out. So the  movement is diagonally OUT and DOWN.
(2 vector components; horizontally outward PLUS vertically downward)

The first option looks like the best one based on what you are doing with your jaw and what looks possible from your scan. As to how things 'sound'(6mm), it sounds to me that single jaw option ALSO comes with option of advancing the chin. So, more mm from that. Only thing is that the chin would be best advanced diagonally downward and NOT diagonally upward. Because the former is closer to what you are doing with the jaw jut out.

I don't suggest any upper jaw advancement.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 02:28:46 PM »
In my opinion you should take some pause and think in a half year or more again about that. You look sympathetic from every angle. I think many people dislike their profile, when it gives them a big surprise compared from the front. That is not your case.

If you still want to have a surgery, i also would recommend to have only a bottom jawsurgery, if it is possible. Because only then, it will give the change, which you desire and only this kind of change. Any moving of your upper jaw will give you other changes, which you could dislike.

lilaboy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
Most of what can go wrong (e.g. nose, impaction, etc) in a case like this is in the upper jaw, so if you can get by without it, then you probably should. Just my opinion.

How will you get lower advancement, though, without moving the upper? Do you have a large overjet?

You shouldn't be planning your surgery, btw, so that's a red flag he's allowing you to make decisions.

Yea i have a overjet of 6mm. My surgeon made the plan and i just need to agree or tell him to make a new one. His first plan is just bsso with 6mm. Now hes making a plan with bimax ccw.

lilaboy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 04:46:05 PM »
Jutting out the jaw gives the message that you 'see' (for yourself) that the jaw to jaw balance looks better that way. Jutting the jaw usually requires someone to DROP it down somewhat in order to jut it out. So the  movement is diagonally OUT and DOWN.
(2 vector components; horizontally outward PLUS vertically downward)

The first option looks like the best one based on what you are doing with your jaw and what looks possible from your scan. As to how things 'sound'(6mm), it sounds to me that single jaw option ALSO comes with option of advancing the chin. So, more mm from that. Only thing is that the chin would be best advanced diagonally downward and NOT diagonally upward. Because the former is closer to what you are doing with the jaw jut out.

I don't suggest any upper jaw advancement.

You have a good eye. Yes i look better from the front when i jut my jaw and when it is advanced down like you said.
So far everyone is advicing me the lower jaw surgery only. I think i will choose it. Ty!

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 01:13:52 AM »
I second those that said you need lower jaw advancement only. 6mm is a big enough movement and will make a big, positive difference to your face. The upper part of your face already looks great, I would not let them touch the maxilla if I were you. Good luck and hope it works out well.

lilaboy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 07:10:47 AM »
I second those that said you need lower jaw advancement only. 6mm is a big enough movement and will make a big, positive difference to your face. The upper part of your face already looks great, I would not let them touch the maxilla if I were you. Good luck and hope it works out well.

Ty. And what about genio (vertical movement)?

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 11:29:16 AM »
Ty. And what about genio (vertical movement)?

I have no idea - pretty sure Kavan is right.