Author Topic: What is the final verdict on implant materials?  (Read 2521 times)

dardok

What is the final verdict on implant materials?
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:27:12 PM »
Which ones will be the best for minimizing bone erosion as well as infection risk?

I have heard good things about titanium implants from a poster made by the user Reality. What are peoples thoughts?

beyondconfusedtbh

Re: What is the final verdict on implant materials?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 10:15:34 AM »
I'd like to hear what others say, meanwhile I'm just gonna leave this right here

https://b-reddy.org/on-having-metal-in-your-body-surgical-implants-weather-pains-and-more/#ColdMetal

swissguy

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
I have read that titanium is not an option for american patients since the manufacturing there is extremely expensive.
In europe however, it seems to be much cheaper, although still a bit more expensive than the common silicone.
Could you link me to the post made by Reality? I have come across different opinions about titanium so far.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 02:56:31 PM »
Bone erosion is a function of friction and has been mostly associated with silicone chin implants, especially to the chin where the movements over it result in friction and hence the erosion. Usually they are sewn into a 'pocket' and if the pocket is a tad too big there can be micro movements which over time can result in erosion. Although they can be screwed in, soft silicone usually used is not really a good material to screw. Their advantage as implants is that they can mimic a combo of both soft tissue and bone and can be squeezed into place. However silicone implants can also be HARD.

Porous implants (like porex) take a screw very well, accommodate tissue ingrowth and lend themselves to SCULPTING by hand. They can be hard to remove though if they need to be. Both Silicone and porous implants can be custom designed.

There are other porous implant materials such as coral. As for bone whether it's your own, cadaver bone or even bone made from an OX, (xENO-GRAFTS) those are not used as ONLAY materials but rather bone BUTTRESS between CUT SURFACE of your bone where your bone grows into the pores.

Titanium is good for things like rods through bones and is more associated with implants for cranio-facial DEFORMITIES or jaw reconstruction than it is for aesthetic cases. It is non yielding meaning that if the fit were not 'exact' there would be no option to press it in there for totally exact fit.

There are other bio-compatible material used for implants such a PEEK used for implantable medical devices that are promising.

Which ones to use, often depend on the surgeon's preference or what ever options they offer as to selection. There is really no 'final verdict' I know of.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »
I have read that titanium is not an option for american patients since the manufacturing there is extremely expensive.
In europe however, it seems to be much cheaper, although still a bit more expensive than the common silicone.
Could you link me to the post made by Reality? I have come across different opinions about titanium so far.

Here:

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4407

He's looking for people who have had implants and want's to know more about the surgeons who put them in and what materials and methods they use.

The thread title of 'Definitive Guide' is somewhat misleading though because there is no 'definitive guide' in there. Better title would be: 'Looking for information from people who have had facial implants.'

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
There are other porous implant materials such as coral. As for bone whether it's your own, cadaver bone or even bone made from an OX, (xENO-GRAFTS) those are not used as ONLAY materials but rather bone BUTTRESS between CUT SURFACE of your bone where your bone grows into the pores.
FWIW, I remember reading that Marilyn Monroe had a coral chin implant.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »
FWIW, I remember reading that Marilyn Monroe had a coral chin implant.

Could be. Coral was around before silicone.

earl25

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 07:10:45 AM »
Theres no definitive answer. Each material has its pros and cons. Each person has their own scale of which risks are acceptable and which arent.  When i had my implants (removed during my mfl) at the tike i went with silicone because future removal was a big concern for me. Other ppl would say no to silicone because it has a risk of shifting out of place.

ben from UK

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 05:36:26 PM »
Peek implants are probably the best for aestethical results, cause they are hard material and integrate well into the face. Silicone looks too fake and should be avoided I think. It's also soft material and when ageing is of growing concern (loose screws etc.). As far as infections I don't know.