Author Topic: Receding lower jaw: jaw osteotomy vs functional appliance end result.  (Read 644 times)

Dlaport

I underwent a lower jaw osteotomy (BSSO) for an overjet with a receding lower jaw. In retrospect I wonder what the differences in skeletal structure of the jaws would have been for the different treatments. Online I have read that a functional appliance causes condylar growth whilst a bilateral sagittal split osteotomy (BSSO) mainly lengthens the body or base of the mandible. What are the skeletal differences between the different treatments in the adult end result? Assuming that you get the functional appliance at around 12 or a surgery at 20. With end result I mean the result after 21.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Receding lower jaw: jaw osteotomy vs functional appliance end result.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »
Your particular ruminations can't be definitively answered other than to say, functional appliances to set the mandible more forward work better on children (growing stage) than adults and that for adults, (past growing stage), more advancement is achieved via BSSO surgery than a functional device could do for them.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.