Author Topic: Most advanced implant materials?  (Read 599 times)

Jordart19

Most advanced implant materials?
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
Hi all

I was hoping somebody could shed some light on what is currently the most advanced implant material out there in terms of being durable, long lasting and with little downside such as movement, bone erosion, or infection.

I am aware of silicon, peek, medpor etc. I have also come across a porous titanium implant.

Has anyone previously come across the porous titanium implant? If so, could you advise as to the pros and cons?

For a little background I am currently looking into this as I have a relatively steep gonial angle and mandibular plane which I believe was caused by braces I  I had in my early teens which caused my face to grow downward rather forward/outward. This being said I consider myself relatively good looking but am conscious of the fact that my face is currently unavailable harmonious and somewhat elongated by the mandibular angle. I had gone completely off the idea of implants as I didn't like the idea of having something that wasn't actually a part of me in my face and just seemed like the downsides outweighed the pros. However, having scoured the internet for some time, I am unsure on what the alternative could be I have a slightly gummy smile so had wondered if perhaps a le fort I with CCW rotation (I know this doesn't specifically change the angle but it will give the illusion of such) or just allowing the mandible  to naturally rotate up and out would suffice, although I am unsure that it would make sufficient difference and whether it would really be worth it considering the invasive nature of such procedures.
Any further procedures you could suggest to make the gonial angle less steel or give the illusion of please let me know. e
I plan to consult with a surgeon in London in the coming months so as they can assess my case appropriately.

Jordart19

Re: Most advanced implant materials?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:24:45 PM »
Hi all

I was hoping somebody could shed some light on what is currently the most advanced implant material out there in terms of being durable, long lasting and with little downside such as movement, bone erosion, or infection.

I am aware of silicon, peek, medpor etc. I have also come across a porous titanium implant.

Has anyone previously come across the porous titanium implant? If so, could you advise as to the pros and cons?

For a little background I am currently looking into this as I have a relatively steep gonial angle and mandibular plane which I believe was caused by braces I  I had in my early teens which caused my face to grow downward rather forward/outward. This being said I consider myself relatively good looking but am conscious of the fact that my face is currently unavailable harmonious and somewhat elongated by the mandibular angle. I had gone completely off the idea of implants as I didn't like the idea of having something that wasn't actually a part of me in my face and just seemed like the downsides outweighed the pros. However, having scoured the internet for some time, I am unsure on what the alternative could be I have a slightly gummy smile so had wondered if perhaps a le fort I with CCW rotation (I know this doesn't specifically change the angle but it will give the illusion of such) or just allowing the mandible  to naturally rotate up and out would suffice, although I am unsure that it would make sufficient difference and whether it would really be worth it considering the invasive nature of such procedures.
Any further procedures you could suggest to make the gonial angle less steel or give the illusion of please let me know. e
I plan to consult with a surgeon in London in the coming months so as they can assess my case appropriately.

ALSO IS GUNSON THE BEST SURGEON AROUND?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Most advanced implant materials?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »
They all have their pros and cons. There is a string on this topic: http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,7524.msg67859.html#msg67859

There is no implant that I know of that is free of any potential problem or 'con' including but not limited to infection or just aesthetic dissatisfaction with the outcome.

As to gummy smiles, that's usually addressed by impaction of the maxilla (removal of a wedge type segment to front maxilla) which is CCW rotation. Mandible has some auto rotation with that to be less steep. But sometimes if the mandibular plane angle is very steep, all the steepness can't be offset with CCW.

Logistically, IF you are going to do the maxfax surgery, you should do that FIRST and consider implants LATER down the line for steepness of the MP and/or narrow jaw to jaw width. 
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.