Author Topic: Interpretation of at-home sleep study  (Read 922 times)

Lefortitude

Interpretation of at-home sleep study
« on: September 07, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »
Report:   https://imgur.com/a/VGu8JS1

Zero apneas, zero hypopneas

However, lowest oxygen saturation 83 (levels below 90 are considered harmful according to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11732817)

also sleeping heart rate at 214 bpm? wtf was I running a marathon in my dreams? (no I didn't beat my meat while hooked up to the machine)

any insights as to why one may reach dangerous levels of oxygen saturation without any recorded apneas?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Interpretation of at-home sleep study
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 01:19:54 PM »
It just looks like it means you had a short episode of low oxygen because average was 94%.
An apnea event is when it's way low and low enough that people wake up and gasp for air. You had none of those. It says you were in prone position (face down) for 24.8 min. So, you probably got lower oxygen when your face was stuffed in the pillow.

Similar with heart rates given the mean was 61.6.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Lefortitude

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 01:50:23 PM »
I should have mentioned that I've witnessed apneas (rarely but for sure, specifically in the supine position) and my friends have witnessed me snoring hard at the end of yoga classes if I get too relaxed. Im unclear on how accurate the at home study was. The proper sleep study should yield some more clear conclusions.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 02:17:54 PM »
I should have mentioned that I've witnessed apneas (rarely but for sure, specifically in the supine position) and my friends have witnessed me snoring hard at the end of yoga classes if I get too relaxed. Im unclear on how accurate the at home study was. The proper sleep study should yield some more clear conclusions.

Well, it's just for the time duration you have it in.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.