Author Topic: Upcoming Consultation with Dr. Gunson  (Read 894 times)

Dopesaint

Upcoming Consultation with Dr. Gunson
« on: June 10, 2019, 12:48:03 AM »
Hello all, I have an upcoming consultation with Dr. Gunson in the fall for my overbite, and I have a couple questions I have written down. Please let me know if these are good questions to ask or if anyone of you could answer them ahead of time. I’ve heard Dr. Gunson’s consultation are extremely thorough and he gives you all the information/plans so I can take them elsewhere, which I plan to do  incase my insurance can cover my surgery. I mainly want to get a genioplasty + DJS for aesthetic purposes however I’ll be glad to fix issues such as snoring and slight pain/clicking from an underdeveloped jaw.

The questions I plan to ask are:

Does a shorter operation time help in recovery?

Invisalign instead of braces-is it worse?

How much weight and muscle am I expected to lose at 200lbs 6’1?

I do martial arts, when could I take a punch to the face?

Is 30 years old too late to get this surgery?

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: Upcoming Consultation with Dr. Gunson
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:47:04 AM »
Hello all, I have an upcoming consultation with Dr. Gunson in the fall for my overbite, and I have a couple questions I have written down. Please let me know if these are good questions to ask or if anyone of you could answer them ahead of time. I’ve heard Dr. Gunson’s consultation are extremely thorough and he gives you all the information/plans so I can take them elsewhere, which I plan to do  incase my insurance can cover my surgery. I mainly want to get a genioplasty + DJS for aesthetic purposes however I’ll be glad to fix issues such as snoring and slight pain/clicking from an underdeveloped jaw.

The questions I plan to ask are:

Does a shorter operation time help in recovery?

Invisalign instead of braces-is it worse?

How much weight and muscle am I expected to lose at 200lbs 6’1?

I do martial arts, when could I take a punch to the face?

Is 30 years old too late to get this surgery?

1. To some extent. Regardless of operating time, the bones have to be fractured and same healing needs to occur. It can be that a shorter operation time can be slightly less invasive and not cause as much trauma as if the separation is held for a long time. But over all you will have your bones fractured in the same way regardless.
2. Braces is always better, you don't have same control with invisalign, especially when it comes to leveling the arches and torque.
3. There is no expectation on this. You're doing surgery on your jaws. It's up to you how much calories you can blend and get into your body. No excersice for a couple of weeks tough.
4. 1-1.5year for full healing. Would not cause any trauma at all to the face for at least 6 months.
5. No

Lefortitude

Re: Upcoming Consultation with Dr. Gunson
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
Make a list of things to ask him.  Write down his responses. You should ask some questions about his HA paste grafts, maybe make a detailed pros and cons list.