Author Topic: Mandible setback -incision location  (Read 564 times)

cambree

Mandible setback -incision location
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »
Hi all

I just had two jaw surgery 3 weeks back and am still having quite a bit of pain/soreness around the teeth. I wanted to pick your brains for a question I have around where the incisions /cuts are made when setting back the mandible. I was always under the impression that this would be after the last molar on both sides so imagine my surprise when i realised that my cuts were made between the molar and the second last tooth instead on both sides. None of the videos etc I have seen online illustrating this procedure had the cuts situated in this location and I am a bit concerned because going into the surgery my aesthetic goal was to shorten my face as much as reasonably possible   (I have a very long face with narrow tapered sides) and to my (layman) eyes if we were to situate the cuts between two teeth , the degree of reduction possible would be severely constrained by not being able to  cut through the teeth . I asked my surgeon about this and he cryptically said the decision was motivated by 'bone status', I am trying to get him to elaborate but would anyone have any thoughts on why my procedure had to be carried out in this manner and are there some considerations etc I am not seeing ?

Ps-see picture attached . Granted it could be less of a regular rectangular wedge and the block could have been angled out so it's wider at the bottom but it looks to me like there is limited shaving /setback that can be done via this approach

Thanks
C

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Mandible setback -incision location
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
Dolphin videos are (over) simplified just to give a BASIC idea of what something is and what it's meant to achieve. So, all this basic video is aimed at is showing how moving the lower jaw backwards gives better balance in an instance when it it too forward. That is ALL it is meant to show. They are all very ELEMENTARY videos and should not be relied on as surgical 'directives'.

Your question resolves to: 'Why wasn't my procedure as OVER SIMPLIFIED just like in a Dolphin video?'

The basic answer is that surgery is more COMPLEX than over simplified illustrations in Dolphin videos.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.