Author Topic: Severe Post-op Numbness after plate removal surgery  (Read 2334 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Severe Post-op Numbness after plate removal surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies/discussion.  I'm fairly certain the KLS plates used were not intended to be removed in the future if it could possibly be avoided.  Aside from that I unfortunately don't have any radiology to post here with plates in.

It may also be worth mentioning that the swelling from this surgery was shocking ... much worse than with the original bimax ... and they didn't get ice to me until late that night (despite frequent requests).  So maybe the extreme swelling is implicated here?

It will be one week post-op tomorrow.  In the last 24 hours I think I've started to feel the faintest nerve sensation.  Last time I had surgery I woke up with the same sensation post-op but REALLY strongly to the point that it kept me awake at night and continued until all sensation had returned.  This time it is so faint as to be barely perceptible.

At least it's something ... I guess I just have to try and stay calm and wait ... and try to get over the chest infection I came home from hospital with 🙁

What you relay here pretty much meshes in with what I mentioned in post #9.
Custom plates not meant to be removed, most likely would be those meant for ossteointegration.
So, having to DIG something out is going to be more traumatic than is removal of a plate that is meant to be removed at a later time. Also prolonged nerve numbness can arise from the nerve being pinched or cramped on in some way such as SWELLING.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies/discussion.  I'm fairly certain the KLS plates used were not intended to be removed in the future if it could possibly be avoided.  Aside from that I unfortunately don't have any radiology to post here with plates in.

It may also be worth mentioning that the swelling from this surgery was shocking ... much worse than with the original bimax ... and they didn't get ice to me until late that night (despite frequent requests).  So maybe the extreme swelling is implicated here?

It will be one week post-op tomorrow.  In the last 24 hours I think I've started to feel the faintest nerve sensation.  Last time I had surgery I woke up with the same sensation post-op but REALLY strongly to the point that it kept me awake at night and continued until all sensation had returned.  This time it is so faint as to be barely perceptible.

At least it's something ... I guess I just have to try and stay calm and wait ... and try to get over the chest infection I came home from hospital with 🙁

There are so many different things going on, even the swelling can place pressure on the nerves and compress the nerves.  Its way too early to assume nerve damage, but in light of the multiple trauma to that area, the single BEST  way to assess what is going on with facial nerves is an MRN, MRI  Neurography of the facial nerves.  There are only two places in the country that have extensive experience in this technology, and that is in Dallas TX, Dr. Zuniga. I will find his link.  I had this done in March of this year.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »
https://www.joms.org/article/S0278-2391(17)31426-X/fulltext

Here is the link to the use of MRN for assessment of facial nerve damage. 

eranthe

• Private
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
Thanks so much for your posts and link Drivven. 

eranthe

• Private
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
Just a quick update for those interested as it's now one month post-op.  My nose, the area under nose and top lip are still completely numb!  I have regained about 75% sensation in my right cheek and about 30% in my left cheek.  Slow improvements, but I think it will all come back eventually.  I guess it's not surprising, given the number of traumatic insults sustained in that area.

eranthe

• Private
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 10:28:42 PM »
Another brief update to close this thread - for anyone interested in post-op recovery after multiple surgeries.  All sensation has returned, no residual numbness as of this weekend.  Skin directly under the eye sockets and over the orbital rim area and tops of cheeks has recovered sensation but is sore - it feels like sunburn ... but I have had this sensation before, and I know it will eventually go away.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 01:23:40 AM »
Another brief update to close this thread - for anyone interested in post-op recovery after multiple surgeries.  All sensation has returned, no residual numbness as of this weekend.  Skin directly under the eye sockets and over the orbital rim area and tops of cheeks has recovered sensation but is sore - it feels like sunburn ... but I have had this sensation before, and I know it will eventually go away.

wow that is so great to hear! you must be thrilled. how old are you?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 04:49:24 AM »
Great to hear.  The midface should never go permanently numb.