Author Topic: Looking for feedback on my lower-third. What's wrong with it? How can I fix it?  (Read 1838 times)

surgerymax94

If you're asking if you are the EXCEPTION to the GENERAL info I gave here and instead, want to know IF you're 'THE ONE' who definitely can get ONLY single jaw surgery AND won't need braces, that's what DIAGNOSTICS are for.

Thank you friend for the long and detailed reply

Dogmatix

• Private
Again, I am very new to all this. But I think my bite is fairly normal. If this is the case, Will I still need braces? And if there is no major over or under bite, does that suggest I'd need bimax rather than just something for lower jaw?

You say it yourself, you're new to all of this. So what ever thought you have about your bite is probably not enough, and there's no pictures of your bite or x-rays for anyone here to try to say anything. Most people don't know how to tell if a bite is good. Are you aware of what oclussion you have? If you have a Class I, or what deviation you have? Basically if you have a Class I bite, and all around good contact, then surgery only may be an option. A retruded mandible is often associated with a Class II bite and decompensation is needed.

There is literally no way to answear your questions. You want to know if you need bimax based on photographs. You have no overjet now, but your bite may be heavily compensated etc. You need to look at the skeleton on a x-ray to see the relations, we've not even seen proper pictures of your teeth.

kavan

• Global Moderator
To the OP.

I'm going to try to make this very simple.

If you want to UNDO an aspect of your face you don't like (recession of lower jaw and chin) and you want to undo it via maxfax surgery that can UNDO what you want undone, the general nature of this type of surgery also involves UNDOING other things such as undoing one's present bite or undoing the position of BOTH jaws.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.