Author Topic: Modified Lefort 3 vs Zygomatic Sandwich Osteotomy  (Read 1301 times)

IconVillage

• Private
Modified Lefort 3 vs Zygomatic Sandwich Osteotomy
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:30:39 PM »
Hi all,

Deciding between whether to get the MLF3 procedure with Sinn, or opt for a ZSO with either Triaca or Zarrinbal. For how much it is discussed here and how willing Sinn is able to give out MLF3's, it's a bit concerning that no one besides Earl (which was a different cut from what Sinn uses now) has reported having the surgery, and Sinn does not show before and afters in office (saw a MLF3 a few years ago with Sinn's previous cut in-office and didn't notice much of a change).

Basically, I hope to know the degree of difference between the two procedures in order to weigh the costs and benefits. I've heard ZSO results have been underwhelming, causing feminine cheeks at times and there's been debate whether they provide anterior projection at all. I've also read some talk about here about a "modified ZSO" in which hip bone is used as a graft for more augmentation. Anyone here have experience with a ZSO, or modified one.

Additionally, I plan to get a tear trough implant to add support to my orbital rims, which will probably provide more projection than the MLF3 can, so in essence, would my plans to get the implant render the MLF3 to be useless in comparison to the ZSO?

beyondconfusedtbh

Re: Modified Lefort 3 vs Zygomatic Sandwich Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »
For how much it is discussed here and how willing Sinn is able to give out MLF3's, it's a bit concerning that no one besides Earl (which was a different cut from what Sinn uses now) has reported having the surgery

sample bias.

Basically, I hope to know the degree of difference between the two procedures in order to weigh the costs and benefits.

you've done that yourself.

there's been debate whether they provide anterior projection at all

there's no debate. anterior projection from ZSO is modest at best
by the way, there are many b&a's online that suggest implants give the same 'feminine' cheeks that implants do. just something to take into account. good luck

ODog

Re: Modified Lefort 3 vs Zygomatic Sandwich Osteotomy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
Icon,

IMO you don’t really need to see B/A of ML3’s. If you’re going to get a midface ostetomy and the only thing you care about is getting the highest quality result, the MF3 is the best option hands down. There is no debate, and B/A’s are simply not needed to confirm this.

The MFL3 advances the bone near the nose and infraorbital region, which are areas that you have flatness in, and which are areas that the ZSO simply won’t touch (it’ll only mobilize the lower, outer edge of your zygo bone and push it MOSTLY outwards for facial width, and SOMEWHAT forward).

I mean to even compare that to a MF3 which mobilizes your entire midface forward, outward for facial width, and even upward for eyelid support, is simply unreasonable.

Comparing a ZSO to a MFL3 is like comparing a chin implant on a class 2 patient vs. a proper BSSO with CCW-r and a genioplasty.