Author Topic: Wanting surgery in Europe but wondering how orthodontics would work with that?  (Read 939 times)

Kadath

• Private
Hi everyone,

I think I've settled on Europe as where I'd like to get jaw surgery for both my functional and aesthetic issues. My concern is the orthodontic part. In the U.S., it's pretty clear they want you to undergo braces for a significant period of time (as it relates to me). I have very mild occlusion and I would prefer to deal with that after because the orthodontists I'm talking to say it can take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year before I would get to the "jaw surgery part."

Based on this consideration, how would things work if I (based in the U.S.) were to get surgery in Europe? Is it common for the european jaw surgeons (like Raffaini, Alfaro, Zarrinbal) to make you undergo orthodontics before the surgery? And if it is, I couldn't go to Europe every month just to get braces tightened. I would like to do that part here in the U.S., if it's needed.

Thanks for your help.

Lefortitude

Some cases absolutely NEED braces before AND after surgery.  some cases dont.  Ask your surgeon of choice if he has anyone in his network.  Alfaro told me he would find an ortho through his network to recommend in Canada.

beautyislife

All the surgeons I visited in Europe told me they'd recommend some local orthodontists if I chose to go through surgery with them. Just ask to see if they rec someone in your area

Kadath

• Private
All the surgeons I visited in Europe told me they'd recommend some local orthodontists if I chose to go through surgery with them. Just ask to see if they rec someone in your area

thanks, i guess it's just kind of annoying to travel to europe, get orthodontics done, then wait for surgery date and fly back for it.

would just working with any orthodontist right now prepare me well enough for jaw surgery? I've been to a few and when i tell them i'm interested in jaw surgery they all tell me it would 6-12 months to prepare me.