Author Topic: it's been a while, aftermath DJS, genio  (Read 3161 times)

Lefortitude

Re: it's been a while, aftermath DJS, genio
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 08:06:55 AM »
I see i was out of the loop before.  I didnt know you had mainly aesthetic endpoints in mind.  I mentioned kaiser f**ked up because they have a rep for doing so and because i thought lip competence was a functional endpoint/goal of the surgery.  AFAIK it usually is.

You actually look really good.  Im pretty discerning and your looks would not stop me from wanting to get to know you.

However, if youre unhappy theres a lot which can be done.  I'm a fan of the Gunson approach, although I feel like for you it might be "overtreatment" which he's commonly accused of (debatably).  You can always go for smaller more localized procedures which will improve your aesthetic marginally, like genioplasty, some mentalis muscle manipulation or botox.   

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: it's been a while, aftermath DJS, genio
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »
I did not expect to get so many comments, so thank you for engaging. So what did Gunson say? A plan with CCW, posterior downgrafting, overall about 10mm of vertical reduction. I would say I agree that my profile WAS improved, even though the surgery at Kaiser was disappointing to me. I’d say the things I’m most uncomfortable with post-surgery are my chin from the frontal view, my flattened/hanging upper lip at rest, and widening/more nostril show of nose. IMO these changes aged me and masculinized me. I so wish I had seen this website and community PRIOR to surgery, as to open my eyes to the reality that for many, orthognathic surgery is not some miracle fix all. I definitely had misproportionate expectations.

Right now I have to sort out how much of the dissatisfaction that I have with my appearance is related to the jaw surgery and how much of it is just genetic shortcomings. I have elongated philtrum, but don’t want to get a lip lift because of tooth show (not to mention unsightly scarring). Rhinoplasty could make my nose look more feminine, but it’s risky and could potentially off balance the rest of my features or make my philtrum appear even longer and nose more upturned/more nostril show, revision jaw surgery with CCW and maxilla advancement might give more support to my upper lip and help with lip incompetence, but then won’t my chin look more prominent and masculine then it already is?

It seems like so much can go wrong with facial surgery.

It's unclear to me what is meant by how you're conveying the information. Did he give you an actual ceph displacement plan with contour diagram changes on it and also a read out of the measurements?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.