Author Topic: Does Chinwing usually deliver significant results?  (Read 923 times)

StudyHacks

Does Chinwing usually deliver significant results?
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:21:22 PM »
I've been looking through Dr Brusco's instagram page and he's the swiss surgeon who does Chin Wing in Europe, along with Triaca, correct?

Now from what I've heard all chin wing does is it lowers the gonial angle and makes the jaw more square

The results don't really look that significant and I've seen Dr Eppley's work (implants) and a wrap-around jaw implant usually really makes it square, but not a Chin Wing based on the examples I've seen

Is it worth it to undergo Chin Wing Osteotomy if I want a square jaw?

ODog

Re: Does Chinwing usually deliver significant results?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
I've been looking through Dr Brusco's instagram page and he's the swiss surgeon who does Chin Wing in Europe, along with Triaca, correct?

Now from what I've heard all chin wing does is it lowers the gonial angle and makes the jaw more square

The results don't really look that significant and I've seen Dr Eppley's work (implants) and a wrap-around jaw implant usually really makes it square, but not a Chin Wing based on the examples I've seen

Is it worth it to undergo Chin Wing Osteotomy if I want a square jaw?

It’s a good question. Its good to know what a Chin wing (side wing) does and doesn’t do.

It doesn’t widen the jaw at your current jaw angle so if you want outward flaring or more lower jaw WIDTH you will only get that from implants. However, if you have a steep mandibular plane and you don’t have any posterior mandible (jaw angle) showing from front view, a Chin wing can drop the back of the jaw so that it squares the face, makes the jaw angle visible, and makes it look wider by illusion.

Some people would look bad with implants because their smaller features (nose, mouth, eyes) would look disharmonious with a wider, bulkier jaw. For these people, usually class 2’s, and usually with the steep mandible plane, a chin wing is actually a brilliant procedure, because it squares the face while also maintaining harmony (if you get an ideal result of course).

If you have more of a class 1 skull/ mandible that is somewhat square but you just want it more robust, thicker, and with a jawline that pops, only implants will get the job done.