Author Topic: Looking for advice - X-ray+photos  (Read 3600 times)

april

• Private
Re: Looking for advice - X-ray+photos
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 10:38:51 PM »
Your angles are great. No need to worry about those at all.

You should get multiple opinions. Where are you from? If you're limiting to just a BSSO, you won't get full correction by the sounds of it.

I looked into BSSO-only when I was fretting out about my own case, and they seem to deal with deep bites with it in two ways.

Sometimes they will just "level" the bite during ortho, taking away a deep bite. I think they do this by extruding/intruding teeth (moving teeth out of the bone, or into the bone) Extruding back teeth might gain you a bit of height.

Don't let them intrude your upper teeth, especially if you have poor tooth show. I have suspicions they did this to me (totally ruined me).

Another way they seem to deal with a deep bite with just a BSSO is something called a "3 point landing" or "tripod". It's when they KEEP the bite deep for surgery, and then advance and rotate the mandible out clockwise to get rid of the deep bite. The point being clockwise rotation of the mandible increases lower face height. I think they only do that in severe deep bite cases, and yours isn't that severe at all. It's the opposite to CCW though. It reduces chin prominance and you would probably still need a genio depending on how you want your chin to be.

Again, none would address tooth show or any issues you might have with maxilla. DJS ususally is better to address everything.

To measure mandible height etc there's a ruler on top of your xray. Your ruler is 45mm. If you have photoshop you can copy and paste it a few times to create a longer ruler and use it to measure.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:25:12 AM by april »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
Another way they seem to deal with a deep bite with just a BSSO is something called a "3 point landing" or "tripod". It's when they KEEP the bite deep for surgery, and then advance and rotate the mandible out clockwise to get rid of the deep bite. The point being clockwise rotation of the mandible increases lower face height. ...

Can you elaborate more about this BSSO that AVOIDS surgery to the maxilla to (selectively) rotate the mandible with no surgery to rotate the maxilla? I'm somewhat familiar with this 3 point landing (but where they do surgery to the maxilla for CW rotation) and of course, it's possible to do just a BSSO. But in the event she asks me about that option, I'm not familiar with the type you seem to be suggesting here that ALSO rotates as to avoid surgery to maxilla for a rotation.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
I'd kill for a jawline like that. Leave it alone man.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
I'd kill for a jawline like that. Leave it alone man.

What are you looking at, her actual jaw line or a morph of it OR did you mean to post on another string?

MaryPoppins66

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 11:26:11 PM »
Please RE-READ what I wrote concerning Class 2 Div 2 to both your post and to Lefortitudes lest I deem taking time to explain how things work an exercise in futility.

Much like similar cases of Class 2 Div2 where SUCCESSFUL surgery involves a CCW DOWNGRAFT, in addition to the BSSO and oblique genio, so does yours. You're not an exception to the general type of surgery used to maximize aesthetic improvement for Class 2 Div 2 DEEP BITE, 'short chin' or 'short face'.

What would you look like WITHOUT the type of surgery needed to address what you have. Someone who still has shortness to the lower '1/3rd' of face. That's because the extra height you would need comes from DOWNGRAFTING the maxilla

Your case is NOT one that would resolve to single lower jaw surgery. It would resolve to CCW DOWNGRAFT. (bimax surgery with oblique chin advancement) Given you have NO front upper teeth show at rest and need to STRAIN a smile to show upper teeth, the downgraft would be MORE in the back than in the front. So, we are talking a CUT to the maxilla and NOT single lower jaw surgery or avoiding a cut to the maxilla. You wouldn't get close to a fraction of the changes on your morph by AVOIDING the maxilla cuts associated with the downgrafts. Without them, you would still look like someone with shortness to the lower 1/3rd of the face. Where do you think the extra height comes from? It comes from the downgrafting to the maxilla. BSSOs don't downgraft the lower border of the mandible. So, it doesn't matter if the vertical shortness comes from the mandible itself. What matters is that NO TOOTH SHOW at rest is consistent with vertically short maxilla and deep bite is consistent with the posterior part needing more of a downgraft than the anterior part in order to acheive a type of net CCW that would address your DEEP BITE and short facial height.

As to maxillary advancement along WITH the cut to the maxilla TO place the downgraft, aim of CCW is to minimize advancement. So, moot point to want to avoid something else that might be needed to do to the maxilla to maximize lower jaw advancement.

I feel uncomfortable contradicting you because I am aware of the huge gaps in my knowledge at this point.

I do think you could be right - for the best - aesthetic outcome I should be looking into double jaw surgery. The reason being - lack of tooth show, strained smile.     

Regarding the shortness - you know it and you're saying it - downgrafting the maxilla is not the only procedure that vertical height could come from. It can also come from the vertical genioplasty you yourself mentioned. I am aware that that could just be me trying to mask the problem and possibly failing - putting chin on an angry looking short face. But still, there is a slight possibility that I can recognize looking at my face that is allowing me to assume BSSO plus that type of genioplasty could be enough for me to be satisfied.   

My opinion is that BSSO could address 80 percent of the aesthetic concerns I've got and if I'm right I won't be getting double jaw surgery just because of my lack of tooth show or my strained smile. At least I think so at the moment. If I could somehow get 3 mm of lower facial height by advancing my mandible + orthodontic work and another 3/4 with genio/fillers that would be enough for me.

You keep telling me what is the best procedure I should be looking into - and thank you for that, I asked for it and I truly appreciate your help but I am also here so you all could give me some insight into why exactly (X-rays and numbers) is my face short/er. Because it would really help me understand everything better. If you could comment on my angles and cause of me lacking in lower facial height, I would appreciate.

I attached the link - they mention two approaches for handling short faces - I have no idea what they are trying to do in the first one but the alternative (first sentence, page 133) seems to be exactly what I'm suggesting here.
Second link is about what I think I need - did she have double jaw surgery?

And sorry for asking you this but when you say 'posterior downgraft' you're talking about a segmental Lefort I, so no anterior advancement? 

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/44b1/8fe9e7b481e51647115d31678970c6147ff7.pdf

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Esthetic-Aspects-of-Orthodontic-Surgical-Treatment-Watted-Bartsch/ef74c9568c7d541aff846d0796aed40cf5f7c66b#citing-papers

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 04:10:54 AM by MaryPoppins66 »

MaryPoppins66

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 12:47:01 AM »
Your angles are great. No need to worry about those at all.

You should get multiple opinions. Where are you from? If you're limiting to just a BSSO, you won't get full correction by the sounds of it.

I looked into BSSO-only when I was fretting out about my own case, and they seem to deal with deep bites with it in two ways.

Sometimes they will just "level" the bite during ortho, taking away a deep bite. I think they do this by extruding/intruding teeth (moving teeth out of the bone, or into the bone) Extruding back teeth might gain you a bit of height.

Don't let them intrude your upper teeth, especially if you have poor tooth show. I have suspicions they did this to me (totally ruined me).

Another way they seem to deal with a deep bite with just a BSSO is something called a "3 point landing" or "tripod". It's when they KEEP the bite deep for surgery, and then advance and rotate the mandible out clockwise to get rid of the deep bite. The point being clockwise rotation of the mandible increases lower face height. I think they only do that in severe deep bite cases, and yours isn't that severe at all. It's the opposite to CCW though. It reduces chin prominance and you would probably still need a genio depending on how you want your chin to be.

Again, none would address tooth show or any issues you might have with maxilla. DJS ususally is better to address everything.

To measure mandible height etc there's a ruler on top of your xray. Your ruler is 45mm. If you have photoshop you can copy and paste it a few times to create a longer ruler and use it to measure.

Hi!

Thank you so much, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I was thinking of combining that type of ortho work with BSSO. If I can gain a couple of millimeters with the extrusion, a couple with BSSO and a couple with genio, I'll be fine. :) Did you manage to solve your problem after all?

I'm from central Europe so can get anywhere in Europe quite easily. I'm still in the research phase but soon will start to look for a surgeon, do you have any suggestions on who should I contact?

I'll look more into that procedure you suggested, I've read about it somewhere already and I was planning to ask about it here but didn't get the chance still. As you probably know, it's pretty difficult to find any information on different types of mandibular advancement surgeries other then BSSO. But this is exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for because the vertical shortness is my main aesthetic concern and I would be glad to disregard any maxillary disadvantages if I manage to solve my problem with just mandible work.

This is it?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:50:02 AM by MaryPoppins66 »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 04:59:48 PM »
I feel uncomfortable contradicting you because I am aware of the huge gaps in my knowledge at this point.

I do think you could be right - for the best - aesthetic outcome I should be looking into double jaw surgery. The reason being - lack of tooth show, strained smile.     

Regarding the shortness - you know it and you're saying it - downgrafting the maxilla is not the only procedure that vertical height could come from. It can also come from the vertical genioplasty you yourself mentioned. I am aware that that could just be me trying to mask the problem and possibly failing - putting chin on an angry looking short face. But still, there is a slight possibility that I can recognize looking at my face that is allowing me to assume BSSO plus that type of genioplasty could be enough for me to be satisfied.   

My opinion is that BSSO could address 80 percent of the aesthetic concerns I've got and if I'm right I won't be getting double jaw surgery just because of my lack of tooth show or my strained smile. At least I think so at the moment. If I could somehow get 3 mm of lower facial height by advancing my mandible + orthodontic work and another 3/4 with genio/fillers that would be enough for me.

You keep telling me what is the best procedure I should be looking into - and thank you for that, I asked for it and I truly appreciate your help but I am also here so you all could give me some insight into why exactly (X-rays and numbers) is my face short/er. Because it would really help me understand everything better. If you could comment on my angles and cause of me lacking in lower facial height, I would appreciate.

I attached the link - they mention two approaches for handling short faces - I have no idea what they are trying to do in the first one but the alternative (first sentence, page 133) seems to be exactly what I'm suggesting here.
Second link is about what I think I need - did she have double jaw surgery?

And sorry for asking you this but when you say 'posterior downgraft' you're talking about a segmental Lefort I, so no anterior advancement? 

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Esthetic-Aspects-of-Orthodontic-Surgical-Treatment-Watted-Bartsch/ef74c9568c7d541aff846d0796aed40cf5f7c66b#citing-papers

You asked for advice. I gave mine and the reasoning behind it. Although I knew my advice was against a backdrop of AVOIDANCE of any surgery to the maxilla, your query was on the AESTHETIC section of the board AND your case was one that also included NO upper teeth show at rest. So, right there, it became one that didn't justify AVOIDING surgery to the maxilla. Not in terms of aesthetics and not in terms of where some shortness to the face comes from.

I also mentioned that of the cases/displacement proposals I've seen (Class2 Div2), they included CCW downgrafting. Some with just posterior downgrafting, others with an element of anterior downgrafting with the net rotation was CCW. To clarify further, those cases came from docs who would do CCW for Class2 div 2 and also would add a lengthening genio to that. The CCW aspect of it is the part that basically gives a 'free ride' to the mandible advancement (where the chin point rotates forward in this ride) and that's BEFORE, the recessive mandible, itself, is advanced further via the BSSO. Given the cases were class2 div2; cases with low angle mandibular planes where CCW does NOT make them steeper, they involved the type of genio that had an element of lengthening to it (as opposed to type that slid upward having a shortening element to it). Those cases ALL had RECESSIVE mandibles.

Now, in the process of looking for cases that involved CW rotation for short face, they had LACK of upper tooth show as you do but NOT as much recession to both the mandible chin as you do.

If you want to take a look at some of those cases, here they are:

https://pocketdentistry.com/23-short-face-growth-patterns-maxillomandibular-deficiency/

https://pocketdentistry.com/9-case-reports/

Now, with reference to the ROTATION at the maxilla, there are indeed, 2 approaches; CCW and CW but I just resolved your case to the CCW because despite the CW working for short face cases, the short faces shown in the papers did not ALSO have the extent of the retrusion to the mandible and chin as you do. Hence my suggesting the CCW approach that gives a 'free ride' or extra push out to the whole mandible and chin even before the BSSO is done along with it.

So, here, I'm just giving my REASONING behind the suggestion I made. But either way, CCW as would do some doctors and CW as would do others, what they BOTH have in common is SURGERY to the MAXILLA.

Of the links you gave:

They helped clarify what I mentioned to April where I said I was not familiar with a type of BSSO only where the BSSO rotated without rotation of the maxilla. Looks like there is a type of BSSO that rotates (CW) independently of any rotation to the maxilla. So, that answered my question aimed to her in this thread.

I also looked at the photos of patients on them. They had AMPLE tooth show and a LESSER extent of the type of mandibular and chin retrusion you do. No downgrafts to the maxilla were needed to increase tooth show. Nor was any CW rotation to the maxilla needed to do it.
So, from those links, I would conclude that the BSSO only technique with CW to the BSSO look to work well for patients who already have AMPLE upper tooth show and DON'T have the extent of mandibular retrusion you do.

Admittedly, I looked at them in terms of whether or not I gave the 'wrong' advice. For example, if I found that the cases had the extent of both the mandibular and chin retrusion you do AND the patients in them ALSO had NO upper tooth show at rest as you do, I would have seen the 'err' of reasoning process behind the advice I gave. But I didn't.

ETA: I can't call it exactly because your case could also fit into a type of downgraft that would involve CW rotation where the downgrafting is more in front than in the back. But that is often one where the mandible is recessive BUT the chin itself is not. Yet still something where a downgraft is done and not something that avoids surgery to the maxilla.

What I also looked at is your opinion which is STRONGLY rooted in AVOIDANCE of any possible surgery to the maxilla. Your FILTERING process is one in favor of AVOIDANCE of any surgery to the maxilla. Now, April's mention of this '3 point landing' BSSO technique, was very well received by you and was exactly the type of information you were looking for because it went through your filter of wanting to AVOID any surgery to the maxilla.

Now, I'm not the one who gave you 'exactly the type of information' you were looking for (information that filtered through and appealed to your desire to avoid any surgery to the maxilla). April did. So, you should direct your questions to HER as to WHY you should move TOWARD the type of surgery she mentioned that doesn't include surgery to the maxilla. Thing is, I'm NOT going to give advice or fill in any info gaps of understanding just because the advice I already gave and the reasoning behind it didn't go through your avoidance filter.

IMO, GAPS of understanding can arise from avoidance filters. Case in point is that you don't seem to understand that someone with a short face who ALSO has NO upper tooth show at rest would also have SOME of the shortness to it attributable to the maxilla in which case moving  the maxilla downward would be included into a surgery. You don't understand that because a strong avoidance filter is a MENTAL BLOCK.

What you need--or WANT--is someone to ACCOMMODATE your opinion/desire to AVOID surgery to the maxilla and to do so DESPITE some of the shortness (lack of upper tooth show) coming from the maxilla. You GOT that. April gave you info that involved 'BSSO only' (3 point landing). You even seemed to filter out the parts where she said it wouldn't address issues to the maxilla related to lack of tooth show where she said DJS is usually better to address everything. Also, April commented on your angles. So, direct your question to her as to how your angles apply to avoiding any surgery to the maxilla and/or directly relate to your opinion about BSSO only doing what you want or think it will do.

I'm not going to do a ceph analysis for you, measure all your angles and distances and from there, tutor you just because I gave advice that included something you had a MENTAL BLOCK against entertaining (ANY surgery to the maxilla). Ball is in your court to address your mental block. Not for me to UNBLOCK it for you.

Again, I looked at the links to the type of surgery you wanted. Although it looked very successful for the patients in them, the patients in them didn't start with LACK of UPPER TOOTH SHOW (short maxilla) and their chin and jaw recession was not as extensive as yours. I think it's great April gave you the name of a surgery which you could find a LINK to an article about. So, look at the names on the article and maybe consult with some of the authors based on your strong opinion you are a candidate for JUST THAT and with NO surgery to the maxilla. They should be in the capacity to either confirm or deny you candidacy for it or accommodate your desire to maintain what ever extent of shortness your maxilla with its lack of upper tooth show is contributing to the total shortness you have.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:22:23 PM by kavan »

april

• Private
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 02:22:15 AM »
Did you manage to solve your problem after all?

I'm from central Europe so can get anywhere in Europe quite easily. I'm still in the research phase but soon will start to look for a surgeon, do you have any suggestions on who should I contact?

This is it?

Yes that's it. No, I haven't solved my problem. My case is not the same as yours. While I am a bit vertically maxillary deficient, I don't have a short mandible/chin. I also have a higher occlusal/mandibular plane than you. I was only being proposed BSSO plans by local surgeons so I looked up the different types and that's how I came across the 3-point/tripod/cw style. It wasn't a suggestion to do it per se, but it was to answer your question of whether or not lower facial height can be improved with just a BSSO without touching the maxilla. I touched on some issues of why it may not work for you, as has Kavan in more detail above.

In Europe, the big names are Dr Alfaro and Dr Raffaini. I don't think they'll skimp on a plan though; if they think you need DJS then that's what they'll propose.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:09:21 AM by april »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
Yes that's it. No, I haven't solved my problem. My case is not the same as yours. While I am a bit vertically maxillary deficient, I don't have a short mandible/chin. I also have a higher occlusal/mandibular plane than you. I was only being proposed BSSO plans by local surgeons so I looked up the different types and that's how I came across the 3-point/tripod/cw style. It wasn't a suggestion to do it per se, but it was to answer your question of whether or not lower facial height can be improved with just a BSSO without touching the maxilla. I touched on some issues of why it may not work for you, as has Kavan in more detail above.

In Europe, the big names are Dr Alfaro and Dr Raffaini. I don't think they'll skimp on a plan though; if they think you need DJS then that's what they'll propose.

Seems to me, she's wanting you to suggest doctors who would perform the type of surgery you mentioned to her who might accommodate her CONSTRAINTS of not touching the maxilla.

april

• Private
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 11:58:49 PM »
Hah well I'm actually sure there's lots of conservative surgeons/orthos out there who restrict their patients to single jaw surgery. My country is full of them.

Mary Poppins, what are some reasons of why you want to avoid double jaw? Is it because you're worried about adding more risk to the surgery (fair enough, if that's your worry about it), or is only because the ortho said you only need lower jaw? Some orthos only care about the bite, and don't consider overall aesthetics. Did the ortho comment at all on lack of tooth show?

MaryPoppins66

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 12:40:48 AM »
You asked for advice. I gave mine and the reasoning behind it. Although I knew my advice was against a backdrop of AVOIDANCE of any surgery to the maxilla, your query was on the AESTHETIC section of the board AND your case was one that also included NO upper teeth show at rest. So, right there, it became one that didn't justify AVOIDING surgery to the maxilla. Not in terms of aesthetics and not in terms of where some shortness to the face comes from.

I also mentioned that of the cases/displacement proposals I've seen (Class2 Div2), they included CCW downgrafting. Some with just posterior downgrafting, others with an element of anterior downgrafting with the net rotation was CCW. To clarify further, those cases came from docs who would do CCW for Class2 div 2 and also would add a lengthening genio to that. The CCW aspect of it is the part that basically gives a 'free ride' to the mandible advancement (where the chin point rotates forward in this ride) and that's BEFORE, the recessive mandible, itself, is advanced further via the BSSO. Given the cases were class2 div2; cases with low angle mandibular planes where CCW does NOT make them steeper, they involved the type of genio that had an element of lengthening to it (as opposed to type that slid upward having a shortening element to it). Those cases ALL had RECESSIVE mandibles.

Now, in the process of looking for cases that involved CW rotation for short face, they had LACK of upper tooth show as you do but NOT as much recession to both the mandible chin as you do.

If you want to take a look at some of those cases, here they are:

https://pocketdentistry.com/23-short-face-growth-patterns-maxillomandibular-deficiency/

https://pocketdentistry.com/9-case-reports/

Now, with reference to the ROTATION at the maxilla, there are indeed, 2 approaches; CCW and CW but I just resolved your case to the CCW because despite the CW working for short face cases, the short faces shown in the papers did not ALSO have the extent of the retrusion to the mandible and chin as you do. Hence my suggesting the CCW approach that gives a 'free ride' or extra push out to the whole mandible and chin even before the BSSO is done along with it.

So, here, I'm just giving my REASONING behind the suggestion I made. But either way, CCW as would do some doctors and CW as would do others, what they BOTH have in common is SURGERY to the MAXILLA.

Of the links you gave:

They helped clarify what I mentioned to April where I said I was not familiar with a type of BSSO only where the BSSO rotated without rotation of the maxilla. Looks like there is a type of BSSO that rotates (CW) independently of any rotation to the maxilla. So, that answered my question aimed to her in this thread.

I also looked at the photos of patients on them. They had AMPLE tooth show and a LESSER extent of the type of mandibular and chin retrusion you do. No downgrafts to the maxilla were needed to increase tooth show. Nor was any CW rotation to the maxilla needed to do it.
So, from those links, I would conclude that the BSSO only technique with CW to the BSSO look to work well for patients who already have AMPLE upper tooth show and DON'T have the extent of mandibular retrusion you do.

Admittedly, I looked at them in terms of whether or not I gave the 'wrong' advice. For example, if I found that the cases had the extent of both the mandibular and chin retrusion you do AND the patients in them ALSO had NO upper tooth show at rest as you do, I would have seen the 'err' of reasoning process behind the advice I gave. But I didn't.

ETA: I can't call it exactly because your case could also fit into a type of downgraft that would involve CW rotation where the downgrafting is more in front than in the back. But that is often one where the mandible is recessive BUT the chin itself is not. Yet still something where a downgraft is done and not something that avoids surgery to the maxilla.

What I also looked at is your opinion which is STRONGLY rooted in AVOIDANCE of any possible surgery to the maxilla. Your FILTERING process is one in favor of AVOIDANCE of any surgery to the maxilla. Now, April's mention of this '3 point landing' BSSO technique, was very well received by you and was exactly the type of information you were looking for because it went through your filter of wanting to AVOID any surgery to the maxilla.

Now, I'm not the one who gave you 'exactly the type of information' you were looking for (information that filtered through and appealed to your desire to avoid any surgery to the maxilla). April did. So, you should direct your questions to HER as to WHY you should move TOWARD the type of surgery she mentioned that doesn't include surgery to the maxilla. Thing is, I'm NOT going to give advice or fill in any info gaps of understanding just because the advice I already gave and the reasoning behind it didn't go through your avoidance filter.

IMO, GAPS of understanding can arise from avoidance filters. Case in point is that you don't seem to understand that someone with a short face who ALSO has NO upper tooth show at rest would also have SOME of the shortness to it attributable to the maxilla in which case moving  the maxilla downward would be included into a surgery. You don't understand that because a strong avoidance filter is a MENTAL BLOCK.

What you need--or WANT--is someone to ACCOMMODATE your opinion/desire to AVOID surgery to the maxilla and to do so DESPITE some of the shortness (lack of upper tooth show) coming from the maxilla. You GOT that. April gave you info that involved 'BSSO only' (3 point landing). You even seemed to filter out the parts where she said it wouldn't address issues to the maxilla related to lack of tooth show where she said DJS is usually better to address everything. Also, April commented on your angles. So, direct your question to her as to how your angles apply to avoiding any surgery to the maxilla and/or directly relate to your opinion about BSSO only doing what you want or think it will do.

I'm not going to do a ceph analysis for you, measure all your angles and distances and from there, tutor you just because I gave advice that included something you had a MENTAL BLOCK against entertaining (ANY surgery to the maxilla). Ball is in your court to address your mental block. Not for me to UNBLOCK it for you.

Again, I looked at the links to the type of surgery you wanted. Although it looked very successful for the patients in them, the patients in them didn't start with LACK of UPPER TOOTH SHOW (short maxilla) and their chin and jaw recession was not as extensive as yours. I think it's great April gave you the name of a surgery which you could find a LINK to an article about. So, look at the names on the article and maybe consult with some of the authors based on your strong opinion you are a candidate for JUST THAT and with NO surgery to the maxilla. They should be in the capacity to either confirm or deny you candidacy for it or accommodate your desire to maintain what ever extent of shortness your maxilla with its lack of upper tooth show is contributing to the total shortness you have.

Listen, I mentioned three times so far that my knowledge on this subject is scarce. You keep saying that my face is severely retruded but it is not - my maxilla and my mandible are BOTH PROGNATHIC with my SNA being 88 and my SNB 81. I've been reading your post for three days and I think I finally managed to understand it fully because at the time I was writing my first post I had no idea what a CW/CCW rotation even means. Where I'm coming from they would put me in a mental institution just to hear me utter the words tooth show. :D So, I need to be fully prepared before my consultation which I plan on doing locally one more time because I am pretty sure they will tell me I shouldn't do bimax because the numbers are not adding up. As they already (I guess) did.

Thank you for being so thorough, it helped. I'm forcing the bsso because I am also looking at my analysis and my profile and I am wondering how much my proghnatic maxilla contributes to my profile looking like that.
In a normal profile the base of the nose should be aligned with the nasion (otherwise, you would get a monkey;). There's no such a thing in my profile because my maxilla+philtrum are indeed huge and much further away from my forehead so I just think that any type of horizontal and vertical advancement of my maxilla could possibly look weird. I am still missing that part of information on whether my maxilla is indeed vertically deficient and I can sense you are hesitant about confirming that in your  post - because if the only criteria for confirmation is lack of tooth show - I am thinking what will happen if with a bimax I reveal my PROGNATHIC MAXILLA and TEETH. And I am aware of the fact that I should not be bringing it back because I need forward projection of the mandible.
Thanks for the psychological evaluation, I didn't know you can get that one here as well. :P
Also, I would like to know why my articular angle is so high (158, should be 140). And does it change with mandibular advancement. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:35:43 AM by MaryPoppins66 »

MaryPoppins66

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 12:48:34 AM »
Hah well I'm actually sure there's lots of conservative surgeons/orthos out there who restrict their patients to single jaw surgery. My country is full of them.

Mary Poppins, what are some reasons of why you want to avoid double jaw? Is it because you're worried about adding more risk to the surgery (fair enough, if that's your worry about it), or is only because the ortho said you only need lower jaw? Some orthos only care about the bite, and don't consider overall aesthetics. Did the ortho comment at all on lack of tooth show?

I just posted my answer to kavan, I think it pretty much answers all of your questions. ;) Plus the fact that yes, I am terrified of the risks and of the pure thought of my maxilla being out in the open and in somebody's hand. :D

april

• Private
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 01:26:31 AM »
Did you do those angles yourself or do you already have a ceph analysis? If you already have an analysis, why not post it?

I am still missing that part of information on whether my maxilla is indeed vertically deficient and I can sense you are hesitant about confirming that from your post - because if the only criteria for doing that is lack of tooth show

Lack of tooth show can be from a short maxilla, a long lip, short upper teeth, or a combination. Maybe some other things too that I'm not aware of. You will need to figure out which of those you suffer from.

MaryPoppins66

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »
Did you do those angles yourself or do you already have a ceph analysis? If you already have an analysis, why not post it?

Lack of tooth show can be from a short maxilla, a long lip, short upper teeth, or a combination. Maybe some other things too that I'm not aware of. You will need to figure out which of those you suffer from.

I posted SNA and SNB values at the beginning.
I also thought you can tell by looking at my Xray. I've seen a few similar posts here where people immediatelly knew from the cephs maxilla was protruded without any numbers attached.
And I wrote in my first post that my angles are not fine but I've gotten two answers so far that they are so I was kind of discouraged to say more.
I've got SNA, SNB, ANB (7), gonial (111), ariticular (158), saddle  (118) and interincisal angle (119).
Yes, I have a feeling that my 'short maxilla' is actually huge philtrum, that's why I keep saying to kavan that maxillary advancement in my case should be approached carefully.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:41:03 AM by MaryPoppins66 »

april

• Private
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »
And I wrote in my first post that my angles are not fine but I've gotten two answers so far that they are so I was kind of discouraged to say more.
I've got SNA, SNB, ANB (7), gonial (111), ariticular (158), saddle  (118) and interincisal angle (119).

When we have said your jaw angles look good, it's because they literally look good in your pictures. Not do to with a number. Most people want a strong gonial angle.

I don't know what articular angle measures for. Do you?

Yes, I have a feeling that my 'short maxilla' is actually huge philtrum, that's why I keep saying to kavan that maxillary advancement in my case should be approached carefully.

It should be easy enough for you to get some quick measure of your philtrum/upper lip. Just use a ruler or tape and measure with your lips relaxed. For the philtrum - measure from under you nose until the top border of your upper lip. For "upper lip length" measure from under your nose and this time include your actual upper lip too.

On your xray your philtrum looks around 15mm
And your 'upper lip length' (that's philtrum + upper lip) maybe around 20mm.
Those are total eyeball estimates, so if you could do the actual measurements, you should.
Also, it's obviously super easy for you to measure the length of your upper teeth as well.

According to Arnett's analysis for females, the 'upper lip length' should be 19-22mm and also the 'upper incisor crown heights' should be within 9.5-11.5mm.

Now about your last line. CCW/CW are technically rotations. Not maxillary advancements (although maxillary advancement can be done alongside them).