Author Topic: Consultations with Dr. Raffaini and Dr. Zarrinbal. Questions to ask?  (Read 7373 times)

Kadath

• Private
In two weeks I'll be visiting both Milan and Berlin to have consultations with the respective surgeons.
I would like to address both functional issues (recessed maxilla which decreases my airways) and aesthetic issues (more forward, perhaps wider jaw and chin). More lower eye support. https://imgur.com/a/wUaFSVx

Are there any questions I should ask in particular? Currently I'm not wearing braces and I did have four extractions in the past and was made to wear headgear as a teenager. I wish I knew better at the time but I'm 35 now.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Consultations with Dr. Raffaini and Dr. Zarrinbal. Questions to ask?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »
The purpose of going on a consult is to ask the questions that you, yourself already have.
Your own goals, things that bother you about your face and questions about if they are on 'same page' as you regarding your goals being achieved are sufficient.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »
Thanks but I’ve heard it’s good to also ask questions of their record like number of surgeries performed in a year and success rate?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 09:06:14 PM »
Sure if you want.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
success rate?

What do you mean by 'success rate'?

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
What do you mean by 'success rate'?

Happy surgeon  :)

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
Hi guys, just wanted to provide an update. I had, what I think, were good consults with both surgeons. I'd like to follow up with them both, primarily based on what my orthodontist asked.

Neither surgeon provided a "surgical projection/prediction" and she would like to see that first prior to giving her input about surgery first vs braces first. I'm leaning towards surgery first, but I'd also like to be more educated when I make that decision.

How can I ask for this surgical projection thing? They didn't even bring it up - either of them. I feel now like maybe I should have brought it up?

If you guys have any questions of me and my experiences thus far, feel free to ask as well!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:02:14 PM by Kadath »

beautyislife

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 05:32:48 AM »
Hi guys, just wanted to provide an update. I had, what I think, were good consults with both surgeons. I'd like to follow up with them both, primarily based on what my orthodontist asked.

Neither surgeon provided a "surgical projection/prediction" and she would like to see that first prior to giving her input about surgery first vs braces first. I'm leaning towards surgery first, but I'd also like to be more educated when I make that decision.

How can I ask for this surgical projection thing? They didn't even bring it up - either of them. I feel now like maybe I should have brought it up?

If you guys have any questions of me and my experiences thus far, feel free to ask as well!

Dr. Z doesn't do simulations or measurements. He will take a look at your own projections if you send them to him though.
Dr. R, from what I remember, won't share any of that until you book with him, but of course that's my experience.

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
Oh damn that's quite annoying. I wonder how I can put my ortho's mind at rest then?

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 07:00:46 PM »
Dr. Z doesn't do simulations or measurements. He will take a look at your own projections if you send them to him though.
Dr. R, from what I remember, won't share any of that until you book with him, but of course that's my experience.
Oh that's quite annoying. But I appreciate that info. I'm wondering how I can put my ortho's mind to rest then?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »
Did either of the doctors offer you the option of surgery first?

You don't provide enough info as to even WHAT each one actually told you during your consult.

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
Hi Kavan, yes both doctors did say surgery first was an option thankfully. I explained that to the orthodontist who also said yes surgery first is a possibility. That's when she asked about projections and such.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:08:24 PM »
Your bite looks pretty good. It kind of looks like you could have CCW posterior downgraft where that ALONE brings the lower jaw forward and from there, EQUAL or almost equal bimax advancement. So, ya, looks like you could do surgery first. Thing is, as you know, the 2 docs you consulted with don't provide you with their actual plans.

Double check with BOTH to make sure they WOULD communicate with your ortho after the surgery.

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 09:10:38 PM »
Your bite looks pretty good. It kind of looks like you could have CCW posterior downgraft where that ALONE brings the lower jaw forward and from there, EQUAL or almost equal bimax advancement. So, ya, looks like you could do surgery first. Thing is, as you know, the 2 docs you consulted with don't provide you with their actual plans.

Double check with BOTH to make sure they WOULD communicate with your ortho after the surgery.

Thanks Kavan I will mention it to both of them. Dr. Z is not great at communicating tbh. Is there anyway to talk to Dr. Z and get more clarity around the planning. I know he doesn’t do it but it just makes it way harder to coordinate all these things. Not to mention I have no idea how much movements he’ll make and I can’t even forecast how I would look.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
Thanks Kavan I will mention it to both of them. Dr. Z is not great at communicating tbh. Is there anyway to talk to Dr. Z and get more clarity around the planning. I know he doesn’t do it but it just makes it way harder to coordinate all these things. Not to mention I have no idea how much movements he’ll make and I can’t even forecast how I would look.

You just need to make sure both/either of them are going to be in communication with your ortho. However, it seems like that doesn't happen UNTIL you choose surgery with EITHER of them.  I guess both of them might want you to 'fall in their lap' as to BOOK for surgery before they relay their plans. Personally, I don't know how to communicate with either of them. Never have. Maybe consult with OTHERS who provide a preliminary PLAN and forget about both of them if they are not willing to provide a prelim plan.