Author Topic: Consultations with Dr. Raffaini and Dr. Zarrinbal. Questions to ask?  (Read 7390 times)

Kadath

• Private
Re: Consultations with Dr. Raffaini and Dr. Zarrinbal. Questions to ask?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »
You just need to make sure both/either of them are going to be in communication with your ortho. However, it seems like that doesn't happen UNTIL you choose surgery with EITHER of them.  I guess both of them might want you to 'fall in their lap' as to BOOK for surgery before they relay their plans. Personally, I don't know how to communicate with either of them. Never have. Maybe consult with OTHERS who provide a preliminary PLAN and forget about both of them if they are not willing to provide a prelim plan.

Yeah for sure, I definitely understand a surgeon's perspective on that. The funny thing is though I've been very affirmative with Dr. Z as who I want to perform my jaw surgery. I even asked him for potential dates that would work for him in the coming year.

So you think if Dr. Z or Raffaini aren't willing to provide a prelim plan I should move on?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
Yeah for sure, I definitely understand a surgeon's perspective on that. The funny thing is though I've been very affirmative with Dr. Z as who I want to perform my jaw surgery. I even asked him for potential dates that would work for him in the coming year.

So you think if Dr. Z or Raffaini aren't willing to provide a prelim plan I should move on?

Well, they can do the surgery without giving you a plan. It depends if your choice of either is CONTINGENT on seeing a plan before you choose.  They probably don't like giving plans because most patients won't understand what all the displacement terms mean and they don't have time to 'tutor' on all those things and they know it's highly unlikely you would understand it as is. For all I know, they probably don't like it either when patients GET a plan and then put it up here asking 'Is this a good plan?' You know a doctor could be saying to himself, 'What's the use of giving a plan if the patient is just going to take it up with a bunch of strangers who might not understand the plan either to evaluate if it's good or not.'  Some docs give them but I think the consult fee to get a proposal might be higher than those who don't give out the plans.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »
It kind of looks like you could have CCW posterior downgraft where that ALONE brings the lower jaw forward and from there, EQUAL or almost equal bimax advancement. So, ya, looks like you could do surgery first.

Sorry, Kavan, clarifying question: these would be done in the same surgery right? another thing i'm concerned about is the length of my face - would the ccw posterior downgraft help to create more harmony and decrease appearance of facial length/downwards growth?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 10:59:13 PM »
Sorry, Kavan, clarifying question: these would be done in the same surgery right? another thing i'm concerned about is the length of my face - would the ccw posterior downgraft help to create more harmony and decrease appearance of facial length/downwards growth?
Yes to first question. Likely for second Q.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Kadath

• Private
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
Hello all, I wanted to provide an update for potential comments and insight:

Dr. Z finally emailed me back and scheduled a surgery date in March, which I confirmed. However, I specifically told him that I did not want chinwing yet he seems quite insistent on it. I personally would prefer no chin wing, and instead just do the double jaw surgery with ccw rotation. However, I remember during my in-person consult that he prefers not to do rotations and instead do chin wing? Which I kind of didn't understand so wanted your folks' input on?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the procedure in a few months and will keep doing my research in the meantime :)