Author Topic: Opinions on IMDO surgery?  (Read 11137 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Opinions on IMDO surgery?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »
Sergio, thanx for your responses to me and to others.

As to patents vs. trademarks, I know the difference. In general, a patent can be challenged if someone else has patent on it or if it's something already in common use where the patent is not a novel use for it. A trademark can be challenged if it's not distinctive enough and confusingly similar to something else.

Salient difference concerning DO and DO with a prefix that renders it a TM is that one can find a variety of non financially motivated articles/information about Distraction Osteogenesis; when, how and why it's used whereas when a procedure is TMed there is not that extent of academic openness/sharing. But when they look for the DO with the TM prefix, since it's not openly shared or subject to peer review, hard to evaluate what makes it preferable to other types of DO aimed at doing similar or for patients who are considering DO to look outside of this TMed procedure. Also, use of 'DO' just confuses a lot of patients because hard to differentiate the DO aspect of it from DO in general.

TM's can be put on procedures, modalities etc that have been shared in medical venues and where the TMer has gleaned knowledge from. For example, knowledge about DO and use of certainly existed prior to 2014, the year the TM was taken out.

I've seen situations in PS venue where info of new or innovative techniques are shared and there are those who incorporate them into their practice and give credit to the innovator and then those who go on to TM 'ways' they learned by others who openly shared with motivation to advance field in general. Sure, it gives patients the impression the TMer came up with a new and 'revolutionary' modality and all the better for the doctor who does that when patients get impression that is so and removed from looking further into the resources the 'ways' or methods arose from in the first place.

Now, I'm not a lawyer either. Just someone who in the past did 'grunt' or 'gopher' work in venue of TMs, patents and IP. Best TMs are those with fanciful names that are distinctive. There's nothing distinctive about use of 'DO' (distraction osteogenesis), nor prefix 'inter-molar' to it. It closely resembles common descriptive terms in standard use.  You know it's not too far from regestering as a TM 'Mandibular BSSO' or 'Maxillary Lefort 1' or even; 'Suction Vacuum cleaner'.

I'm surprised he had no TM challenges on grounds of lack of distinction of what's out there already.

Hmm...on closer inspection, it looks like his TM lapsed , was not accepted in 2016 and presently not registered.
https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/1645894?q=IMDO
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

april

• Private
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
There's nothing distinctive about use of 'DO' (distraction osteogenesis), nor prefix 'inter-molar' to it. It closely resembles common descriptive terms in standard use.  You know it's not too far from regestering as a TM 'Mandibular BSSO' or 'Maxillary Lefort 1' or even; 'Suction Vacuum cleaner'.

Not commenting of the validity of trademarks or whatever, but I think the distinctive part is that the IMDO distractors are designed so that the cut/distraction is between the molars (i.e Inter Molar). I think that's actually what makes it different to other mandibular DO designs.

Also it seems IMDO also widens the mandible? I'm not sure if regular DO does that. Do you know?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2019, 04:55:01 PM »
Not commenting of the validity of trademarks or whatever, but I think the distinctive part is that the IMDO distractors are designed so that the cut/distraction is between the molars (i.e Inter Molar). I think that's actually what makes it different to other mandibular DO designs.

Also it seems IMDO also widens the mandible? I'm not sure if regular DO does that. Do you know?

Well, I was commenting on the validity of the TM. Now he does have a patent (since 2012) on a distraction device to be used between the molars.

" By placing an osteotomy cut between the first and second molars of the lower jaw, such jaw distraction surgery pre-emptively creates spaces by distracting the lower jaw forward, thus allowing for the creation of an orthodontic space for later orthodontic alignment of crowded lower dental arches"

So, yes. In terms of other distraction devices (that are actually patented), there has to be some difference from the 'prior art' to avoid a patent challenge. However, as to other distraction devices used for lower jaw expansion that are not patented, it could be possible for them to be adapted for use between the molars, of course by docs conversant in DO of the mandible.

Distraction vectors can be in different directions as is situation in general DO.

Would you happen to know if his device is shown on his website?

Here's a site from a Children's hospital that performs all kinds of DO.

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/clinics/craniofacial/services/distraction/

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »
Here is link to mandibular advancement by distraction. (Sorry if it's a lot of junk in the link but it worked when I tested it.)

https://www2.aofoundation.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKN_A0M3D2DDbz9_UMMDRyDXQ3dw9wMDAx8jYEKIvEocDQnTr8BDuBoQEi_l35Uek5-EtipkY55ScYW6fpRRalpqUWpRXqlRUDhjJKSgmIrVQNVg_Lycr30_Pz0nFS95PxcVQNsWjLyi0v0I1BV6hfkhkZU-aSGAwDYYmkN/dl5/d5/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS80SmlFL1o2XzJPMDBHSVMwS09PVDEwQVNFMUdWRjAwME0z/?approach=&bone=CMF&classification=95a-HFM%2C%20Pruzansky%20IIa&contentUrl=srg%2F95a%2F05-RedFix%2FHFM%2FP185-DOMandAdv%2F01_Introduction.enl.jsp&implantstype=Mandibular%20advancement%20by%20distraction%20osteogenesis&method=Orthognathic%20and%20rotational%20osteotomies&redfix_url=1340371913125&segment=Congenital&showPage=redfix&soloState=lb&step=1&subStep=showLast&treatment=

#4 in the series shows the distraction device and where cut is made, beyond the back teeth close to where a BSSO cut is made. Illustration also shows a BIG overjet and the distraction device they are using brings out the lower jaw when there's that extent of overjet. I guess the main difference of making the cut between the teeth is since a space is made there, they can push the lower teeth back if they need to without having remove a tooth to make space. But there might be other cases where they might not otherwise need to to push the teeth back and the space created between the teeth would necessitate that because cut was made between the teeth and not in back of them. Basically, they would have to push them back even if they would not otherwise need to if they had used the device that had the cut behind both molars. So, his method and device he has for it looks advantageous for cases that would need the lower teeth pushed back (and a space there) where extraction would not have to be done to make space. But not for cases that wouldn't need the teeth pushed back.

Interesting article by some Indian doctors on development and evolution of distraction devices. They make their own for the case at hand and don't buy proprietary ones.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3591036/
...and another

Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis (MDO) to treat upper airway obstruction.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamafacialplasticsurgery/fullarticle/222755

So, I guess my question is; When people come here asking about IMDO do they NOT want MDO or DO in general to the mandible. Are they wanting to avoid the cut behind the molars to have DO to expand the jaw or are they specifically wanting the cut to be between the molars or is it just that they think IMDO is the only DO out there?

Well, I was commenting on the validity of the TM. Now he does have a patent (since 2012) on a distraction device to be used between the molars.

" By placing an osteotomy cut between the first and second molars of the lower jaw, such jaw distraction surgery pre-emptively creates spaces by distracting the lower jaw forward, thus allowing for the creation of an orthodontic space for later orthodontic alignment of crowded lower dental arches"

So, yes. In terms of other distraction devices (that are actually patented), there has to be some difference from the 'prior art' to avoid a patent challenge. However, as to other distraction devices used for lower jaw expansion that are not patented, it could be possible for them to be adapted for use between the molars, of course by docs conversant in DO of the mandible.

Distraction vectors can be in different directions as is situation in general DO.

Here's a site from a Children's hospital that performs all kinds of DO.

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/clinics/craniofacial/services/distraction/

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 03:19:22 AM »
Thank you for the informative posts Sergio - I think most of us on this forum are very grateful for your input.

Thank you for you words

I read way too many unnecessary thoughts on branding and trademarking. Call it a quality seal. It is not only the devices used, there are more factors involved, as in any surgical procedure there is a learning curve, it is not a secret. Believe it or not, all the information to understand the differences between IMDO protocol and other techniques (BSSO and mandibular distraction protocols, and also a Herbst appliance, as I recall) is in that playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjC4hIwmyQfjXgckxslgVI9BPkh6wcv-a. You can also see the early postop of some patients. But the protocol has evolved since the first video several years ago.

Adults are being treated nowadays with IMDO. It started with teens and it is still mainly done in teens. But it is useful for some adults as it provides unique advantages, but it also other disadvantages and risks. When you decide to cross a street you also accept risks and take precautionary measures like using a pedestrian cross. Every patient is different, a proper diagnosis has to be made and explained. Treatment options explained and, in the end, the decision must be made by the patient, a difficult decision, I agree.

Until now my IMDO patients have not stayed more than a few hours in the hospital (it was a day surgery procedure). No nerve damage at all (100 % normal sensation from the day after, except one girl that had some tingling for a few weeks on one side). Very nice widening of the mandible (proportional to the amount of distraction, of course). Perfect contour (no "lumpy" jawline like sometimes happens with large mandibular advances with BSSO). Paul's IMDO patients normally spend one night but they fly from distant places so an early discharge is normally not possible. And if he also does an upper jaw surgery simultaneously, they normally spend more time in the hospital.

So, I guess my question is; When people come here asking about IMDO do they NOT want MDO or DO in general to the mandible. Are they wanting to avoid the cut behind the molars to have DO to expand the jaw or are they specifically wanting the cut to be between the molars or is it just that they think IMDO is the only DO out there?

I suppose they are just curious about it and they want to know more about it. That is why everybody uses Dr. Google, right? And they are lucky to find forums like this one so they can get their questions answered.  By the way, I think the cut behind the molars or in the ramus is responsible for the bad reputation of those other distraction protocols.

I hope that my participation here has contributed to clarify some aspects of IMDO.

Regards,

Sergio

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2019, 09:24:27 AM »
Well, fact is that there is a lot of people confused about IMDO. First time I read about it, it seemed like a non surgical procedure and it was not obvious to find this information, even though it's of course obvious for the one doing the surgery. It's also not obvious what the actual surgery is and how it differs from the fracture you do with BSSO. Can you tell us the technical difference in the cut you make for the IMDO™️?  Because if you want to separate a bone you need to fracture it, and how can we understand the difference in this fracture compared to BSSO and why it's better?

I also agree with Kavan on the nonsense of trade marking a procedure, making it harder to do research on and hindering it to be evaluated by other surgeons.

Thank you so much for all of these informative posts. I was wondering whether you have had any success in older patients expanding and advancing the maxilla through distraction osteogenesis with or without the use of stem cells or other growth factors to help the replacement bone grow stronger?

As to the trademark issue, i am an an attorney with a marketing background but my IP experience is limited to the sports and music industry. I dont believe though that a procedure can be trademarked.  However the marketing name for the procedure could be trademarked and nobody could use the marketing name.  However IMDO, even if you successfully obtain  a trademark, which is going to be a challenge because its so generic,  if you are marketing to patients its should have something memorable that  people will search for (maybe something added after IMDO) or it will NOT  have a lot of marketing traction until you spend a long time marketing and branding. You could patent a medical procedure but if a doctor uses the same procedure on a patient he or she does so under an exception and is not liable for infringement. I am sure that you have the guidance of excellent IP counsel and a marketing strategist to bring your ideas to into motion.   

Thanks again for all of your posts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:34:07 AM by DRIVVEN »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2019, 07:07:40 PM »
I read way too many unnecessary thoughts on branding and trademarking. Call it a quality seal.

Keep in mind that prior you suggested (to Dogmatix) I was not conversant in matters of trademarks and patents.

I think statements like kavan's about trademarking are based on wrong premises on trademarks and patents.

To that regard, I made clear what some premises were. Such things that the TM was not distinctive and confusingly similar to terms in common usage and even gave a link to TM search of Australian Gov to show the TM was listed as not accepted/lapsed. I also found the patent.

Other things:

IMDO targeted to Adults:

Inquiries coming to JSF (about IMDO) have been from adults who use the term and cite videos with children as patients where there is some mention/suggestion in text it also works on adults but not enough clarity to resolve confusion about adult candidacy. To that regard, I did search OUTSIDE of the material he was putting out to directly appeal to patients. What I look for as to material doctors put out is WHAT do they tell their PEERS about their procedures and not what they convey/imply in thier marketing material aimed at patients. This is so, when there is confusion based on promotional marketing materials aimed at patients.

In the process of looking for published papers either by or about Coceancig's method/device I found mention of it's use limited to use on children/adolescents. One paper out of New Zealand said it worked well for children. Another from Coceancig himself with title; "Introducing the IMDO protocol into practical private orthognathic practice for first line management of adolescent class ii malocclusion."  In the article he states: "The IMDO protocol is a surgery first management strategy for orthognathic problems found during mid to late ADOLESCENCE." Another journal article mentioned 4 patients in a study but no reference to age. Newspaper article referenced it to treating children and TEENS. Also the first sentence of the PATENT on it reads: "Mandibular retrognathia in adolescents is an abnormal posterior positioning of the mandible relative to the facial skeleton and soft tissues."

Due diligence:

Due diligence was done by me to find material --yes outside of his YT marketing links and website--applicable to an 'IMDO ONLY' fix for adults. None was found by me. This was not to claim it can't be done on adults. Just that material found OUTSIDE of that directly targeted to patients didn't suggest it. However, further searches on MDO in general, had mention of adults being treatable in addition to Sergio saying possible.

As to due diligence, I suggest patients interested in ANY type of MDO (Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis) do their research on MDO (ample papers out there. I've already left links to some.) so they know what it involves in GENERAL and not assume just because the TM brand is mentioned here more or material of such is targeted to the patient venue and not peer venue it 'therefore must be superior'. However, no skin off my teeth if you do.

For those wanting more details about Coceancig's device, I'm providing the link to the PATENT on it.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9113958

The patent has citations of other patents having to do with DO and other devices/distractors and also citations of academic articles on DO which provide a rich source of research material for those so technically inclined to explore further.

TIP! If you click on another patent listed in the citations it will bring you to even more patents and mentions of different devices. For example, I clicked on; 'Device for widening the jaw', from Coceancig's citations and found a patent by Triaca for widening the jaw. So, if you kept doing that, you'd find distraction options for a lot of facial things. The patent itself is a rich source of information for those so inclined to research further on many possibilities for distraction.

Enclosed is an illustration of the device taken from the patent.

Sergio-OMS

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »
Thank you so much for all of these informative posts. I was wondering whether you have had any success in older patients expanding and advancing the maxilla through distraction osteogenesis with or without the use of stem cells or other growth factors to help the replacement bone grow stronger?

Thank you for your words.
I have never used distraction for advancing the upper jaw, only for expansion. And I know nothing about the use of growth factors in distraction osteogenesis, although I might worth looking into it, so I will. Thanks for the hint.

Keep in mind that prior you suggested (to Dogmatix) I was not conversant in matters of trademarks and patents.

Well, let me politely disagree with you. But at least we can agree to disagree.

To that regard, I made clear what some premises were. Such things that the TM was not distinctive and confusingly similar to terms in common usage and even gave a link to TM search of Australian Gov to show the TM was listed as not accepted/lapsed. I also found the patent.

Good for you.  Finding the patent is no a difficult thing to do, and, to start with, its drawings are shown in a couple of videos of that playlist, and Google is a good search engine.

I only brought the TM thing in the disclosures stated in my first message not no make any point, just because when I searched for IMDO messages I read some comments in other threads on licensing and franchising. TM doesn’t not impede any research or forbids other surgeons to do it, or force patients. But I think it is for the good of the patients to be able to know if their surgeon is endorsed by the rest of the surgeons doing IMDO.

In the process of looking for published papers either by or about Coceancig's method/device I found mention of it's use limited to use on children/adolescents. One paper out of New Zealand said it worked well for children. Another from Coceancig himself with title; "Introducing the IMDO protocol into practical private orthognathic practice for first line management of adolescent class ii malocclusion."  In the article he states: "The IMDO protocol is a surgery first management strategy for orthognathic problems found during mid to late ADOLESCENCE." Another journal article mentioned 4 patients in a study but no reference to age. Newspaper article referenced it to treating children and TEENS. Also the first sentence of the PATENT on it reads: "Mandibular retrognathia in adolescents is an abnormal posterior positioning of the mandible relative to the facial skeleton and soft tissues."

You did not find any paper (there is no scientific article published yet, although a two or three articles wrote for the general public had been made available)

You just found the abstracts of a few talks on IMDO that were given by Paul and other friends at the ICOMS 2019 (Rio de Janeiro, a few month ago)

Paul is working on a book, but I do not know when it will be published, maybe 2020 or 2021 ?

As to due diligence, I suggest patients interested in ANY type of MDO (Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis) do their research on MDO (ample papers out there. I've already left links to some.) so they know what it involves in GENERAL and not assume just because the TM brand is mentioned here more or material of such is targeted to the patient venue and not peer venue it 'therefore must be superior'. However, no skin off my teeth if you do.

Of course, they need to do their own research and make their own decision, and it is great that they have all that information here so they can compare. And I do provide all that information during my consultations and encourage that attitude on my patients, too.

Do you think experience, skills, training on postop management and preop planning... knowing the involved orthodontic treatment and having access to the specific set of instruments are not necessary to perform a correct IMDO and prevent complications?

Surgery sounds so easy sometimes... no offense.

You know, I also went through the same process you are experiencing now when I tried to reverse engineer the IMDO protocol.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:32:23 AM by Sergio-OMS »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2019, 04:49:20 PM »

Well, let me politely disagree with you. But at least we can agree to disagree.

So, you are disagreeing you made the following statement?
I think statements like kavan's about trademarking are based on wrong premises on trademarks and patents.

Neither here nor there though.

Good for you.  Finding the patent is no a difficult thing to do, and, to start with, its drawings are shown in a couple of videos of that playlist, and Google is a good search engine.

Not difficult to just find. Just some effort to screen shot diagrams and explain how to use it to look for other patents of similar art and/or citations. As I noted in my post, I SPECIFICALLY looked OUTSIDE of his video links. In my past posts, it's probably quite palpable that part of the issue I have as to pursuit of information about DO is that it often resolves to links to IMDO. So, I guess we can agree that when it comes to MDO, I look OUTSIDE of videos about IMDO.

I only brought the TM thing in the disclosures stated in my first message not no make any point, just because when I searched for IMDO messages I read some comments in other threads on licensing and franchising. TM doesn’t not impede any research or forbids other surgeons to do it, or force patients. But I think it is for the good of the patients to be able to know if their surgeon is endorsed by the rest of the surgeons doing IMDO.

Undoubtedly, there was some confusion about exact terminology; 'licencing' or 'franchising'-- or something else-- that would be applicable to a collection of doctors having permissions to use the term; 'IMDO'. For example, there was a big Franchise called (TMed); 'LifeStyle Lift' and only those who were part of it could use the term. Yet the technique used to do it (purse string suture) was nothing novel and something in past common use. 

I'm quite aware that there would be absolutely no preclusion for a doctor to do MDO where the cut was between the molars. For example they could say: 'We do MDO and use either a cut behind OR between the molars depending on the specific case.' But I'm a loss (or just not clear on) what kind of endorsement a doctor, already conversant in MDO, would need in the event he/she purchased the exact distractor of the patent design (assuming the product is available for purchase and no controls exist as to which doctors can purchase) and used as such an option.

Are you suggesting that a patient pursuing MDO from a doctor conversant in MDO who offered options of 2 cuts; one between the molars and one behind them and used Coceancig's distractor for the former would need to know if the doctor had an ENDORSEMENT from Coceancig and associates?

You did not find any paper (there is no scientific article published yet, although a two or three articles wrote for the general public had been made available)

You just found the abstracts of a few talks on IMDO that were given by Paul and other friends at the ICOMS 2019 (Rio de Janeiro, a few month ago)...

LOL, this is veering into quibbling about SEMANTICS or finding some in-germane technical error where I found the abstracts of things that were not actually 'papers' and called what I found such. OK. So I didn't find 'papers'. But the SALIENT point is that I mentioned that in the process of looking for published papers what I found. Salient point being I did NOT find any material mentioning IMDO for ADULTS but ONLY mentions limited to use on CHILDREN and ADOLESCENTS. Other salient point was I did DUE DILIGENCE to LOOK for material (outside of his YT channel and website) about mention of use for ADULTS and found NO mention of such.

*Due Diligence. I'm using in context of looking for material where mention was made (to perhaps peer group) about process being used on adults and doing so BEFORE I said on here the process very much looked to be limited to children/adolescents or those in the growing stage.

So, I guess what we can AGREE on is that he does NOT have any peer reviewed papers about IMDO on ADULTS.

Of course, they need to do their own research and make their own decision, and it is great that they have all that information here so they can compare. And I do provide all that information during my consultations and encourage that attitude on my patients, too.

Do you think experience, skills, training on postop management and preop planning... knowing the involved orthodontic treatment and having access to the specific set of instruments are not necessary to perform a correct IMDO and prevent complications?

Surgery sounds so easy sometimes... no offense.

You know, I also went through the same process you are experiencing now when I tried to reverse engineer the IMDO protocol.

No offense taken.

Sergio, just to make clear, critiques of mine having to do with IMDO (in adults) were in reference to Coceancig's presentation.  This would have nothing to do with how you communicate with your patients or those reading your website. I have no doubt that you would be very forthright in all your consults. When I initially checked your website, it was in process of approving your membership. I didn't seek it out for IMDO stuff, nor do I recall people bringing your name or website to the fore here on JSF. Nonetheless, you're welcome here, you seem like great guy even though I butt horns.  (I am year of the goat in Chinese calendar.)

As to experience with the device (or any device with similar aim) and/or capacity to use it along with post op management and pre-op planning, preventing complications etc., of course I think those things are important and since I don't do surgery, I have no pre-conceived notions as to if this type of procedure (or any other) is easy vs. difficult other than what surgeons relay.

It's just that I would not deem by default that a doctor already conversant in MDO, who had this particular distractor adapted to making cut between molars would be incapable of using it to good effect in the absence of some kind of endorsement from Coceancig. As I said earlier, a doctor conversant in MDO could have option to have a device for cut behind molars and one suitable for cut between them (assuming the latter is not limited to only those approved by Coceancig). As to TMs, such a doctor would not even have to use the term; 'IMDO'. The operative term for what he's doing would be; 'MDO' and from there, the mention of 2 types of options for cuts; one behind molars and one between, depending on the case. One case could call for a big space between the teeth to avoid extraction if lower teeth had to be pushed back later down the line. Another case might not and instead need to avoid a big space between the teeth to have to close.

In closing, it looks like ADULTS would prefer an option of MDO (with or without prefix of 'I') over BSSO. There just needs to be more clarity on the websites YT channels--what ever--about that and also more 'papers' (peer reviewed academic articles) where adult applicability is the topic matter.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2019, 08:28:35 PM »

.... older patients expanding and advancing the maxilla through distraction osteogenesis with or without the use of stem cells or other growth factors to help the replacement bone grow stronger?

In the process of looking at articles on DO for this string and also in process of another string about 'questions' having to do with a doctor in India....well, I was looking at his publications and I found something on maxilla distraction where age was mentioned as not a factor. Here is link. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.5005/jp-journals-10021-1229  Ya, for cleft patients but they are way more than getting an extra 3mm. Not suggestion or referral. But just it came up from research for other thread and just in case it could be helpful. It's just a distractor device though which looks like no surgery to put it in.

Sergio-OMS

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 09:47:00 PM »

I disagree with you in the fact that your knowledge on trademarking and patents is large enough in order to reach those conclusions. And I do not think your medical and surgical knowledge and experience is large enough to reach other conclusions.

Of course, everybody can do IMDO, I suppose even you could try yourself.

I have met another Spanish surgeons that have claim to have done it in the past and abandoned doing it after two patients because all the discomfort, nerve damage and pain the caused... I was questioned about it while presenting a short conference talk on IMDO one month ago in my hometown. And they say IMDO just does not work. It turns out that their problem is that they are applying their previous conceptions of distraction for IMDO and he problem is that it does not work in their hands.  And there is also a specific instrument handcrafted for IMDO. Trying without it increases the chances of having an unfavourable outcome. A fellow reputed surgeon from another EU country confessed to me while having a beer that it had happened in his one and only IMDO patient. And he is probably one of the most experienced distraction surgeons I have ever met. He had to unturn the distractors completely and remove them after a few weeks after having achieved nothing.

Sorry I did not spend time for quoting specific sentences this time

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
I disagree with you in the fact that your knowledge on trademarking and patents is large enough in order to reach those conclusions. And I do not think your medical and surgical knowledge and experience is large enough to reach other conclusions.

Of course, everybody can do IMDO, I suppose even you could try yourself.

I have met another Spanish surgeons that have claim to have done it in the past and abandoned doing it after two patients because all the discomfort, nerve damage and pain the caused... I was questioned about it while presenting a short conference talk on IMDO one month ago in my hometown. And they say IMDO just does not work. It turns out that their problem is that they are applying their previous conceptions of distraction for IMDO and he problem is that it does not work in their hands.  And there is also a specific instrument handcrafted for IMDO. Trying without it increases the chances of having an unfavourable outcome. A fellow reputed surgeon from another EU country confessed to me while having a beer that it had happened in his one and only IMDO patient. And he is probably one of the most experienced distraction surgeons I have ever met. He had to unturn the distractors completely and remove them after a few weeks after having achieved nothing.

Sorry I did not spend time for quoting specific sentences this time

Well, certainly just easier to disagree than provide a substantive argument to counter. But we can agree I'm not of same conclusion as you.

My conclusion was that doctors conversant in MDO would be in capacity to do Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis with his device if the device facilitated a cut between the molars and they wanted to offer that as option in addition to behind molar cut.

You point out I made wrong conclusion that doctors skilled in the art of MDO would be in capacity to use Coceancig's distractor if they wanted to offer option of a cut between the molars.You pointed out by providing example where docs skilled in MDO had poor success with using Coceancig's device. You're basically saying that his device has little advantage over the devices they presently use for MDO.  So, if it can't be used to good effect in the hands of doctors conversant in MDO, it sounds like a bust. But maybe silly of me to conclude that getting a patent with claim of being advantages to those skilled in the art isn't actually going to be useful to other doctors in the field.

april

• Private
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2019, 09:00:01 AM »
Late reply sorry, I see you've found detailed pics of the device. good find! Not sure if it was shown on his website. In the past I think I saw xrays and animations of it on instagram.

Sergio-OMS

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 11:46:47 AM »
Well, certainly just easier to disagree than provide a substantive argument to counter. But we can agree I'm not of same conclusion as you.

My conclusion was that doctors conversant in MDO would be in capacity to do Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis with his device if the device facilitated a cut between the molars and they wanted to offer that as option in addition to behind molar cut.

You point out I made wrong conclusion that doctors skilled in the art of MDO would be in capacity to use Coceancig's distractor if they wanted to offer option of a cut between the molars.You pointed out by providing example where docs skilled in MDO had poor success with using Coceancig's device. You're basically saying that his device has little advantage over the devices they presently use for MDO.  So, if it can't be used to good effect in the hands of doctors conversant in MDO, it sounds like a bust. But maybe silly of me to conclude that getting a patent with claim of being advantages to those skilled in the art isn't actually going to be useful to other doctors in the field.

It is a whole (I don't know if this makes sense in English):  right diagnosis  +  right distractor design  +  right presurgical orthodontic treatment  +  following, step by step, the planned IMDO intervention using the specific instruments   +   right postsurgical management (including orthodontics).

This is the only way IMDO really works.

I've been trying to explain this from my very first message, sorry I was not to as explicit as in this one, as I started addressing some other questions (to start with, I was really surprised that some people can think IMDO is not a surgical treatment).

IMDO protocol provides unique features to maximise mandibular and airway enlargement while lowering risks, but the protocol has to be followed.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:27:58 PM by Sergio-OMS »

LeFort 3000

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 02:26:10 PM »
Dr. Sergio, thank you very very much for your input, also great to have someone with extensive knowledge.

I'm very interested in IMDO procedure or distraction osteogenesis of the jaw in general, because I think it can lead to superior aesthetic results. In this regard my question is if you can recommend to me a Dr. from your "IMDO-network" who practices in Germany? I did alot of googling but didnt find anyone who promotes this kind of work on his website here in Germany. Im afraid Madrid wouldnt be an option for me for such an extensive procedure, so I really hope you can maybe help me and possibly other readers out on this. Thank you again sir!