Author Topic: Maxilla impaction vs soft tissue changes minor or noticeable?  (Read 1709 times)

Dot

Maxilla impaction vs soft tissue changes minor or noticeable?
« on: November 30, 2019, 06:25:04 PM »
I’m hoping to get lefort 1 vertical impaction and advancement and mandible setback with CW rotation

I think I need 3or 4 mm advancement,  6mm superior impaction of maxilla not sure how much posterior
But I read somewhere that the soft tissue changes are up to 50% of the skeletal change so does that mean that my lips will move up 3mm max?
I was hoping it will make my midface shorter from front view by my lips moving upward by half a cm atleast.
This is the article for reference
https://www.jco-online.com/archive/2005/03/155-overview-the-eight-components-of-a-balanced-smile/

ghiggson90

• Private
Re: Maxilla impaction vs soft tissue changes minor or noticeable?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 07:28:47 PM »
I’m hoping to get lefort 1 vertical impaction and advancement and mandible setback with CW rotation

I think I need 3or 4 mm advancement,  6mm superior impaction of maxilla not sure how much posterior
But I read somewhere that the soft tissue changes are up to 50% of the skeletal change so does that mean that my lips will move up 3mm max?
I was hoping it will make my midface shorter from front view by my lips moving upward by half a cm atleast.
This is the article for reference
https://www.jco-online.com/archive/2005/03/155-overview-the-eight-components-of-a-balanced-smile/

The literature on this topic is all over the place. Some studies show shortening of the upper lip, some show no change. To avoid overimpaction, some surgeons recommend assuming no change in lip length. This strikes me as the most prudent approach. This is discussed at some length in Harvey Rosen's book and one of his papers.

ben from UK

Re: Maxilla impaction vs soft tissue changes minor or noticeable?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »
Every result depends on individual case.