Author Topic: Nose changes: what to expect?  (Read 1158 times)

Notctr

Nose changes: what to expect?
« on: February 24, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »
I've had LeFort 1 with 3 mm impaction and 4 mm forward movement. I thought that since having such small movements, my nose wouldn't be extremely affected, but at the moment it is a lot wider and extremely flat. Mind you, I'm still swollen and I'm not sure if that could be affecting it the final outcome of my nose since it has been getting progressively better as days go by.

Any similar case to mind or someone that might have some input? Also, is nose flattening, besides narrowing and nostril flare, something common with LF1?

Thanks

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Nose changes: what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »
I've had LeFort 1 with 3 mm impaction and 4 mm forward movement. I thought that since having such small movements, my nose wouldn't be extremely affected, but at the moment it is a lot wider and extremely flat. Mind you, I'm still swollen and I'm not sure if that could be affecting it the final outcome of my nose since it has been getting progressively better as days go by.

Any similar case to mind or someone that might have some input? Also, is nose flattening, besides narrowing and nostril flare, something common with LF1?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by flattening, but widening and nostril flair are both definitely risks of that movement. My guess is they will be permanent, but wait about 3 months to see.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »
My movement was much larger but those side effects remained for me. Maybe a marginal decrease

ForeverDet

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »
Sadly, any alteration of the upper jaw can lead to nose changes and it's usually permanent. Even with a surgeon who does their best to prevent/minimize it. It'a almost luck of the draw because same doc doing similar movement using same prevention techniques can lead to some patients having aesthetically negative changes yet some don't. My nose widened and tipped slightly upward (but no flair) about 2mm on each side which I hated. The wideness never decreased. I had a minor alar base reduction years later which prolly removed .5mm on each side and 7 years later since jaw surgery I've accepted my nose. I had my deformities corrected after all and no complications so not going to complain.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 07:56:17 AM »
Sadly, any alteration of the upper jaw can lead to nose changes and it's usually permanent. Even with a surgeon who does their best to prevent/minimize it. It'a almost luck of the draw because same doc doing similar movement using same prevention techniques can lead to some patients having aesthetically negative changes yet some don't. My nose widened and tipped slightly upward (but no flair) about 2mm on each side which I hated. The wideness never decreased. I had a minor alar base reduction years later which prolly removed .5mm on each side and 7 years later since jaw surgery I've accepted my nose. I had my deformities corrected after all and no complications so not going to complain.

Did you intentionally get a minor procedure for your alar base reduction?  I've been considering this since I got about 4mm of widening.  Not sure how effective they are.

ForeverDet

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
Did you intentionally get a minor procedure for your alar base reduction?  I've been considering this since I got about 4mm of widening.  Not sure how effective they are.

Yes because I couldn't find a surgeon locally or near my state (that would justify the cost) that could do a significant and naturally looking reduction. There's a few techniques and one in particular I found (can't remember the type) that a doc does that's outstanding but he was out of the country. So I opted for a nostril sill reduction with a local guy who had photos of prior patients and I felt I could trust. The results look good yet subtle.

For sill reduction it won't give you your old wideness back but it'll shave off 0.5mm on each side which is still an improvement and outside of terrible surgeon, there's almost no chance of a bad result. The recovery is easy peasy too.