Author Topic: Difficult to breathe without slouching - caused by recessed mandible?  (Read 1176 times)

wigglewiggle

I have been slouching for at least the past decade. The slouching itself not terrible but my back is never completely straight. I've noticed that whenever I try to maintain a straight posture (shoulders back, back straight, chest out, etc.) I'd experience shortness of breath. It feels like there's something stuck in my throat and there's a light tightness in my chest. I'd feel somewhat suffocated and would have to return to my typical posture.

I have recessed mandible. To give an idea of the extent of recessiveness, I believe my surgical plan was to move mandible forward by around 10mm. I have a small airway, which is 1/3 of the average size, according to Gunson. However, this shortness of breath feeling remains even when I move my lower jaw forward to the point where my lower teeth are in front of my front teeth, which makes me question if it is caused by my recessed mandible. Does moving jaw forward mimic exactly the same effect as surgical forward movement?

I was never a mouth breather, and when I sleep I always naturally breathe through my nose. I don't have sleep apnea nor do I snore.

My question is do you think this difficulty with breathing when my back is straight is caused by my small airway? Or is it something that'll go away over time as I adjust to the new posture and change my breathing technique?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Difficult to breathe without slouching - caused by recessed mandible?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 02:09:29 PM »

shortness of breath feeling remains even when I move my lower jaw forward to the point where my lower teeth are in front of my front teeth, which makes me question if it is caused by my recessed mandible. Does moving jaw forward mimic exactly the same effect as surgical forward movement?

NO. Because when you move your jaw yourself, you're moving it in accordance to it's natural inclination relative to a horizontal plane. CCW, the the type Gunson does, rotates the maxilla so the both maxilla and mandible can be moved (advanced) along a plane that is inclined closer to the horizontal plane. It is the horizontal displacement vector that opens up the airway. It is something you CAN'T do by moving your jaw forward.

My question is do you think this difficulty with breathing when my back is straight is caused by my small airway? Or is it something that'll go away over time as I adjust to the new posture and change my breathing technique?

Probably if your airway is 1/3 of the average.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

wigglewiggle

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
NO. Because when you move your jaw yourself, you're moving it in accordance to it's natural inclination relative to a horizontal plane. CCW, the the type Gunson does, rotates the maxilla so the both maxilla and mandible can be moved (advanced) along a plane that is inclined closer to the horizontal plane. It is the horizontal displacement vector that opens up the airway. It is something you CAN'T do by moving your jaw forward.

Makes sense. Aside from the CCW rotation that can't be mimicked, should I expect some extent of improvement in airway by moving my lower jaw forward with my jaw muscles?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:34:50 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
Makes sense. Aside from the CCW rotation that can't be mimicked, should I expect some extent of improvement in airway by moving my lower jaw forward with my jaw muscles?

When the surgeon does it, yes.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 06:13:36 PM »

Kavan, is there any link you can point one too or an illustration of the “horizontal displacement vector?” I am trying to visualize what you are describing, and i am a visual learner.  When Gunson advanced only my lower jaw, i got very little airway gain at all.  Movahed told me that you cant really get counter clockwise rotation when you advance only the lower jaw. He said that lower jaw only does not get “you to the promised land.” Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:05:25 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 08:08:15 PM »

Kavan, is there any link you can point one too or an illustration of the “horizontal displacement vector?” I am trying to visualize what you are describing, and i am a visual learner.  When Gunson advanced only my lower jaw, i got very little airway gain at all.  Movahed told me that you cant really get counter clockwise rotation when you advance only the lower jaw. He said that lower jaw only does not get “you to the promised land.” Thanks in advance

Just look on any displacement read out and you will see A-P (horizontal) direction and Vertical direction for maxillary displacements.

ETA:

The OP is getting BIMAX surgery where his maxilla will be rotated to be inclined closer to a horizontal plane. That's how the mandible IN TURN gets inclined closer to a horizontal plane. The implicit assumption is the OP of this string is having BIMAX surgery with CCW rotation of maxilla and not single BSSO.

'Vector'; a quantity that has magnitude and direction
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:39:39 PM by kavan »

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 09:34:39 PM »
Just look on any displacement read out and you will see A-P (horizontal) direction and Vertical direction for maxillary displacements.

ETA:

The OP is getting BIMAX surgery where his maxilla will be rotated to be inclined closer to a horizontal plane. That's how the mandible IN TURN gets inclined closer to a horizontal plane. The implicit assumption is the OP of this string is having BIMAX surgery with CCW rotation of maxilla and not single BSSO.

'Vector'; a quantity that has magnitude and direction

thanks, got it.  You can erase my post if it veered off topic.