Author Topic: Arnett Gunson has created a before and after results page  (Read 4018 times)

Lefortitude

Re: Arnett Gunson has created a before and after results page
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »
I think the results look great BUT I also think the presentation is INCOMPLETE because he does NOT tell the viewer what procedures and basic type of displacements the patients got.

Ironic how he has an EDUCATIONAL section (which seems to be for doctors). But he fails to educate the viewer audience as to the procedures and basic displacements done on the show cased patients.

I anticipate members will be looking at the photos and asking on here what was done. But not too sure I want to waste much brain energy analyzing what was most likely done just because he elects to withhold that type of information on his presentation.

Maybe I should just give a wise crack 'answer' when someone asks what was done on this or that patient and just say: 'Oh Gunson doesn't want you to know. If he did, he would have told you on the same page as the photos.'

Ya, I think that will be my answer.

I agree id like to see more information on each case.  I'm sure someone from the A&G team would be willing to listen to this very valuable feedback, especially since theyre doing PR work. 

For what its worth, my favourite result was posted about a year ago on the A G fb page.  he included some movements

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »
That result is interesting because her chin looks longer despite CCW and SG.  I think this is largely due to the improvement in lip posture and the vertical component of her BSSO.

Life-changing result.  Looks like having her jaw banded shut for several weeks helped out as well.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »
I agree id like to see more information on each case.  I'm sure someone from the A&G team would be willing to listen to this very valuable feedback, especially since theyre doing PR work. 

For what its worth, my favourite result was posted about a year ago on the A G fb page.  he included some movements

He's got some stuff up in different places as to what was done as far as the parts seen on the planning model such as in this case. It's just that IF she also had other stuff with that like hydroxyappatite or even under chin fat removal, all should be listed so we don't have to 'cross engineer GUESS' at all.

There's another one floating around where the guy on the new series with the short chin/lower 3rd got an overall thick downgraft in the CW direction which I've used before to convey an OVERALL dowgraft can also have a shift to a CW direction (as in not all down grafts are CCW posterior ones). I just know where it is now.

Basically, all the info as to what they had done would be best put on his website.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 03:21:59 PM »
That result is interesting because her chin looks longer despite CCW and SG.  I think this is largely due to the improvement in lip posture and the vertical component of her BSSO.

Life-changing result.  Looks like having her jaw banded shut for several weeks helped out as well.

From the planning model, where there is a space between the cut, it looks like a downward diagonal genio where space would be filled in with bone buttress. Does not look like a sliding genio.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:18 PM »
From the planning model, where there is a space between the cut, it looks like a downward diagonal genio where space would be filled in with bone buttress. Does not look like a sliding genio.

Oh, yeah. I just interpreted that separation as showing that a genio occurred. Looks like there was actual downward movement then

ODog

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
Odog, can you tell me more about these surgeons, I was going to book with Gunson after I have my consultation in August, but  if his results aren't consistently better than the work of lesser known surgeons maybe I can save some of my money for Yaremchuk cheek implants. Kavan and GJ recommended bimax with ccw and I thought the only surgeons who did large downgrafts were Gunson and Wolford.

PM’d you.

Sadly I thought the same thing, that if I wanted CCW-r with downgraft it was Wolford or Gunson or nothing. Nobody here told me there are Italian surgeons who do it and who don’t cost the price of a mortgage, and they’re actually more aggressive in their movements. Get plans from
both and you’ll see for yourself. You may have more input into the final plan with these surgeons as well, AFAIK Gunson does what he wants, end of story.

I’m not telling you to not go with Gunson, I’m just saying consult with other surgeons and compare the plans.

Of course, the HA paste is a nice touch but it has its flaws as well.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 10:04:00 PM »
Worth the tradeoff.  Plus he can get a HT
Gunson's criteria for an aesthetically successful surgery is that the deformity no longer draws the viewer's attention from the patient's "good features".  Most people would not notice his underbite.  I didn't.  But his out of proportion forehead draws immediate attention post-op.  He does look younger, but so do small children because of their small jaws. I think he had the wrong movements.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 10:22:54 PM »
What gives me pause is when surgeons choose to show certain photo angles and not others for different patients.  Electrons are cheap, they should show all the photos.  Front, profile, 3/4s before and after — all at rest and smiling.  Then we'll know if the jaws are yawed and/or canted as can often happen. Whether the tooth show is normal.  Teeth - front, top and bottom arches, 3/4 view.  Then we'll know if the arches match and the teeth mesh at the back.  Anything less makes it look like they have something to hide.

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 10:40:08 PM »
He also has a bites page here, https://www.arnettgunson.com/our-results-bites

Looks very bullseye to me.

wigglewiggle

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 11:18:33 PM »
Anyone can tell if the fifth one from the top seems to have got bimax (i.e. maxillary impaction) or just lower jaw?

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »
IMO midline discrepancy is not much of an issue unless it causes a functional problem. Nobody will notice it.  Much more important for the teeth to mesh with proper overjet and depth at the incisors

A midline is not just a midline. If you have proper mesh, overjet and class I, then there's only one way where the midline can end up. If the midline is off then it's either off somewhere else as well, or it's just an impossible configuration with how the teeth are positioned.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 01:10:49 PM »
A midline is not just a midline. If you have proper mesh, overjet and class I, then there's only one way where the midline can end up. If the midline is off then it's either off somewhere else as well, or it's just an impossible configuration with how the teeth are positioned.

I think this is usually due to unaddressed tooth size discrepancy, which may or may not lead to functional issues.  And by functional issues I mean practical issues that the patient themselves identifies.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 01:53:50 PM »
I think this is usually due to unaddressed tooth size discrepancy, which may or may not lead to functional issues.  And by functional issues I mean practical issues that the patient themselves identifies.

I reacted because of my own situation, meaning that the midline can be a a symptom that it traverse on the bite. But I'm with you, the midline it self is not a purpose, it depends on the entire setup.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »

Tooth size discrepancy sounds quite possible. When you consider all the many things they are trying to balance and optimize, they can't get every single thing exactly perfect.
I think, in general, that once they fix the BIG stuff like give a significant improvement to WHOLE, it's easier to zero in on the small PARTS that could be off.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »
If people aren't happy with those bites, they shouldn't have jaw surgery.

1mm margin of error from the best surgeons, and those look well within that if not lower. If you expect perfect you will be sorely disappointed.
Millimeters are miles on the face.