Author Topic: Surgery for moderate function + aesthetics  (Read 3969 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Surgery for moderate function + aesthetics
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
I was going to mention Earl and Sachs. Might be worth writing Earl to ask about him. I think Earl only had one jaw (lower, I think) corrected.

The risk to your case is you wind up with a CW or steeper angle/longer face.
Seems the best plan would be to impact/level the maxilla and then rotate the entire complex (both jaws) slightly CCW. If you get enough auto-rotation from the maxilla shortening, great, but I'm skeptical that. Do you have a surgical plan?

Regarding if it's worth it, I think you're borderline, but it's probably worth it. That's really up to you, though. A lot can go wrong, and if you're fine with your face and the bite functions well-enough it might not be worth the risk. If all goes well, you should look more balanced in profile and have all teeth touching properly -- so is the risk worth those things to you? That's for you to decide. Expect your nose to widen a bit, too. Females get away with this less than males. Expect to look a bit older (you have a young/girly look now) once the jaw is in balance. A recessed jaw has that look to it, whereas a jaw in balance can look rigid or older, like an anchorwoman type look. It probably won't be that extreme in your case. But these are the two aesthetic issues I'd be concerned about, so harp on them during consultations. Get at least three consultations with the best people in your area.

Posterior impaction although it's CW-rotation makes the MPA LESS steep because it's removing the posterior EXCESS that's thrusting it down. Think of a CLOCK. Divide vertically in 1/2 as to draw line from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. From 12 to 6 the CW rotation is on the down swing. But from 6 to 12, the CW rotation is on the upswing. Such is the case with posterior impaction. It's CW rotation on the upswing. Not same as anterior downgraft which is CW rotation on down swing. So, no risk the posterior impaction CW will give steeper angle (MPA) or longer face. Quite the opposite.

Earl had a bird face (his words). Sachs really improved him.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 06:40:42 PM »
If she doesn't get any impaction, she'd risk worsening posterior gum show with CCW, yes. But the impaction should take care of that.
Look at the angle of her jaws - it is very steep. So she needs the impaction to take care of the overgrowth, but then CCW rotation to take care of the steep angle. I don't see how you can move the jaws linearly or CW given the steepness of that angle. If the idea is auto-rotation takes care of that after some anterior impaction, maybe. I'm skeptical that would line up right.

I could be wrong. I'd like to see a final plan.

See my other post to you. Although posterior impaction is technically CW, it's CW-r on the UPSWING just like a hand of a clock going from 6 to 12 in CW direction is on the upswing, not the down swing.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
Posterior impaction although it's CW-rotation makes the MPA LESS steep because it's removing the posterior EXCESS that's thrusting it down. Think of a CLOCK. Divide vertically in 1/2 as to draw line from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. From 12 to 6 the CW rotation is on the down swing. But from 6 to 12, the CW rotation is on the upswing. Such is the case with posterior impaction. It's CW rotation on the upswing. Not same as anterior downgraft which is CW rotation on down swing. So, no risk the posterior impaction CW will give steeper angle (MPA) or longer face. Quite the opposite.

Earl had a bird face (his words). Sachs really improved him.

I think the risk is that her OP could still be somewhat steep after impaction, and that linear advancement along that equalized OP could increase real and perceived facial length.

So I would say probably minimize linear advancement (of maxilla) as much as possible and get some CCW effect from the genio.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 08:48:38 PM »
I think the risk is that her OP could still be somewhat steep after impaction, and that linear advancement along that equalized OP could increase real and perceived facial length.

So I would say probably minimize linear advancement (of maxilla) as much as possible and get some CCW effect from the genio.

Keeping in mind that linear advancement would take place over a LESS STEEP MPA, (due to the posterior impaction + anterior impaction) if the linear advancement is in 5mm range or less, she should be fine. She doesn't need that much for her lower lip to line up with her upper lip.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »
Keeping in mind that linear advancement would take place over a LESS STEEP MPA, (due to the posterior impaction + anterior impaction) if the linear advancement is in 5mm range or less, she should be fine. She doesn't need that much for her lower lip to line up with her upper lip.

I mostly agree, just emphasizing that even a 'less steep' MPA/OP could still be 'too steep' for a larger linear advancement.  I would suggest 4mm be the absolute maximum under consideration, or maybe even less to be conservative.    That + autorotation + small SG should be enough to give a balanced feminine look.  I'm very concerned about maxilla advancement in female cases, especially when the individual is risk averse.  5mm is enough to potentially cause notable side effects to the nose and lip.

Hopefully the impaction will also allow lip seal at rest.  A conservative plan could do very well here I think.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 09:02:20 AM »
Do you have some pictures where some patient got a large advancement and had a steep mandible?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
I mostly agree, just emphasizing that even a 'less steep' MPA/OP could still be 'too steep' for a larger linear advancement.  I would suggest 4mm be the absolute maximum under consideration, or maybe even less to be conservative.    That + autorotation + small SG should be enough to give a balanced feminine look.  I'm very concerned about maxilla advancement in female cases, especially when the individual is risk averse.  5mm is enough to potentially cause notable side effects to the nose and lip.

Hopefully the impaction will also allow lip seal at rest.  A conservative plan could do very well here I think.

Her jaw recession is quite modest and I think she mentioned her doctor estimated about 4mm maxilla advancement which would be within a safe aesthetic zone for her. So, IF linear advancement, mandible would be similar advancement and rest would be sliding genio which would give ample balance. I guess if she wanted more lower jaw advancement, she'd have to sacrifice a few lower pre-molars for that. But given she's on the conservative side herself, I think she would do fine with the modest advancement. So, I guess we are on same page here.

logan

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 09:42:16 PM »
Wow so much good info. I need to do some more reading before I understand *everything* in this discussion

But overall Kavan's argument makes intuitive sense to me -- a posterior impaction will allow the *lower jaw* to rotate more CCW, even if the upper jaw is technically moved CW. So overall the lower face should be shorted. But I also understand  PB's caveat that if the maxilla is advanced *a lot* at a downward angle, that could increase length (at least could increase the distance from my forehead to my upper teeth), but hopefully that can be accounted for when calculating the amount of anterior impaction. E.g. more maxilla advancement at a downward angle, more anterior impaction to offset vertical addition from the advancement. It seems like it should be possible to fully account for this.

Tbh, in general, I don't understand what the problem is with a "steep occlusal angle" (I believe occlusal angle = angle of your bite), other than the fact that it is correlated with having a long face.  Don't teeth normally go up in the back in a healthy bite? (See attachment). Sorry if this question is off topic, I can post elsewhere if so!

One thing I'm worried about, speaking of feminine aesthetics, is that both age and orthognathic surgery can lengthen the philtrum, and result in less upper incisor show while speaking. I hope that fixing my bite will get rid of the gummy smile, but I don't want to impact SO much anteriorly that my upper lip covers my teeth. Anyway, I guess this will come down to the exact plan, which I wish I could have BEFORE committing to decompensating orthodontics! But as you can tell I am leaning toward the surgery regardless, since it sounds like *some* solution should be possible

I agree with some of the posts that I would tend to be on the conservative side -- I do want the best aesthetic result possible, but only within a reasonable range of what I would naturally have had, if my jaw had developed normally without chronic allergies. E.g. I especially don't want a large chin even if that is technically more "correct". But hopefully I can communicate all this when decision time arrives

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:15:08 PM by logan »

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 10:18:44 PM »
Wow so much good info. I need to do some more reading before I understand *everything* in this discussion

But overall Kavan's argument makes intuitive sense to me -- a posterior impaction will allow the *lower jaw* to rotate more CCW, even if the upper jaw is technically moved CW. So overall the lower face should be shorted. But I also understand  PB's caveat that if the maxilla is advanced *a lot* at a downward angle, that could increase length (at least could increase the distance from my forehead to my upper teeth), but hopefully that can be accounted for when calculating the amount of anterior impaction. E.g. more maxilla advancement at a downward angle, more anterior impaction to offset vertical addition from the advancement. It seems like it should be possible to fully account for this.

Tbh, in general, I don't understand what the problem is with a "steep occlusal angle" (I believe occlusal angle = angle of your bite), other than the fact that it is correlated with having a long face.  Don't teeth normally go up in the back in a healthy bite? (See attachment). Sorry if this question is off topic, I can post elsewhere if so!

One thing I'm worried about, speaking of feminine aesthetics, is that both age and orthognathic surgery can lengthen the philtrum, and result in less upper incisor show while speaking. I hope that fixing my bite will get rid of the gummy smile, but I don't want to impact SO much anteriorly that my upper lip covers my teeth. Anyway, I guess this will come down to the exact plan, which I wish I could have BEFORE committing to decompensating orthodontics! But as you can tell I am leaning toward the surgery regardless, since it sounds like *some* solution should be possible

I agree with some of the posts that I would tend to be on the conservative side -- I do want the best aesthetic result possible, but only within a reasonable range of what I would naturally have had, if my jaw had developed normally without chronic allergies (my parents were anti-medicine and I guess thought my constant stuffy nose was normal :/). E.g. I especially don't want a large chin even if that is technically more "correct". But hopefully I can communicate all this when decision time arrives

It's not just the increase in 'real' facial length- LF1 advancement will also tend to cause the philtrum to be more convex which will increase perceived philtral length.  This effect is sometimes called 'chimp lip' and is more likely to occur with 1) larger advancement and 2) steeper occlusal plane.  Luckily your philtrum is presently concave, so you have some leeway.  LF1 advancement can also cause nostril flare, which typically also correlates with degree of advancement. 

Both of these are more tolerable in male than female cases, even if generally undesirable in both.  That's why I'm advising keeping the LF1 advancement as small as is acceptable for proper function.  You should be okay with 4mm or less, but you should also be aware of these potential side effects.  I can share I can share with you my own case over PM as an example if you're interested, though mine is on the more extreme end (10mm).  It will still give you a reference on what to consider in terms of these aesthetic hazards.

I think you should definitely get surgery.  Just be cautious

logan

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
Yeah I am concerned about changes to my nose (a tiny bit of widening would be ok, and examples Dr. N showed me look good in this regard at least) but especially philtrum lengthening (it's already too long I think) and loss of concave curvature/apparent lip size which I currently like for both my lips. PM'd for more info

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »

I agree with some of the posts that I would tend to be on the conservative side -- I do want the best aesthetic result possible, but only within a reasonable range of what I would naturally have had, if my jaw had developed normally without chronic allergies (my parents were anti-medicine and I guess thought my constant stuffy nose was normal :/). E.g. I especially don't want a large chin even if that is technically more "correct". But hopefully I can communicate all this when decision time arrives

Thing is that with Anterior Open Bite (AOB), you have 2 occlusal planes (OPs), the max OP and the mandibular OP, NOT one. This forms and OPEN WEDGE in front where the bite doesn't close in front. It doesn't close in front because the BACK part of the maxilla is too long where only the back teeth meet each other. So BASICALLY what they do to close that open wedge space is to CUT somewhat of a similar wedge from the maxilla; one kind of pointing in the opposite direction. That moves the back of the maxilla UP more than the front of the maxilla. The removal of the wedge of bone along with the net CW rotation is the IMPACTION. The CW rotation of the cut out wedge section is CW rotation on the UPSWING. Just like the hands of a clock travel on the upswing when they travel between 6 and 12 o'clock.

This UPSWING CW rotation is what COUNTER ACTS the DOWNSWING CW (hands of a clock traveling between 12 and 6 oclock) you see to the open wedge in front where the mandible is being forced into more of a CW r because the excess length at the back of the maxilla PRECLUDES it from swinging up.

When the mandible can swing up to close the bite, you will have ONE OP and your MPA will be less steep. From there, they can elect to do linear advancement and the sliding genio. IF NOT linear advancement (eg less advancement to maxilla/more to mandible), the option to move the lower jaw further than the upper jaw (or upper jaw less than lower jaw) would depend on how they prepare the teeth for the surgery. For example if they 'buck out' the front teeth and can manage to also push backwards the lower teeth, then they can move the upper jaw forward less and the lower jaw forward more.

As to your other concerns/questions:

The philtrum does NOT get longer. It just can LOOK longer when it's aligned with a vertical plane or becomes conVEX. Some maxillary advancements can even make the philtrum look shorter like when they buck out the teeth somewhat and advance, then the philtrum is on outward diagonal plane and looks shorter. Also, TOOTH SHOW from the FRONT is part of the plan as to get the optimal amount of tooth show without excess gum show.

Keep in mind:

Presently, with 2 OPs, the surgery goal is a matter of forming ONE OP. So, your OP really can't be measured at this point. The goal of this type of surgery (type for you) is really to 'level out' the MAXILLARY PLANE. The goal is not really to make the OP less steep. Even when the goal is to make the OP less steep, it's the maxillary plane that's really altered. But it's not as if someone is going to suggest a CCW posterior downgraft so you can have MORE posterior gum show than you have now! So, for now, I would not fret about the OP because that's more relative to people who have ONLY ONE OP, not 2 diverging OPs. The 'steepness' that is way beyond the norm is the MPA. It will get less steep but be still outside the norm (because the rotation the impaction does, even though it makes it less steep won't counter-act the excess steepness it has from the norm). In fact it would be the steepness of the MPA and NOT the OP that would tend to LIMIT how much advancement you can have whether it's linear (equal max and mand.) or less maxilla and more mandible. So, I don't think you have to worry about philtral problems, bull's nostrils or 'masculine' jaw. BECAUSE, they are going to want to LIMIT the mandible advancement so they can LIMIT advancing over a steep MPA. Limit would apply to the max. advancement too.

logan

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 06:48:29 PM »
Thanks Kavan, that makes sense!

I now have two more local consultations scheduled in the next couple weeks and will hopefully make a decision (whether to proceed, and if so with who) shortly after that

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »
 :)

logan

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 06:16:46 PM »
Quick update in case anyone is interested. I had a virtual consult with Dr. Steinbacher at Yale, who is an orthognathic + plastic surgeon and seems very competent. I appreciate doctors who publish their research -- in this case including a literal textbook! He does ~120 orthognathic surgeries/year. Two interesting things:

- he takes 3D photographs for planning purposes (like color photographs, in addition to 3D CT scans -- not sure how common this is)
- he uses fat grafts to speed up healing and help give facial support after surgery (also not sure if anyone else does this/how common it is)

Regarding a plan, he echoed what has been said here: le fort 1 + BSSO, with CW rotation of the maxilla and CCW of the mandible. Probably genioplasty depending on aesthetic goals. Not clear how much maxilla advancement he thinks I would need -- "it depends on the angle". But I wasn't expecting to learn anything too specific from a virtual consult.

He thinks orthodontics with TADs alone could close the bite by impacting posterior maxilla, it would just take a long time, and it wouldn't improve breathing at all or aesthetics as much.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »
Did he give you any records of the plan?
Millimeters are miles on the face.