Author Topic: Why are Orthodontics Causing my Jaw to Receded?  (Read 979 times)

eastcoastian1

Why are Orthodontics Causing my Jaw to Receded?
« on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:45 AM »
Hi guys,

So I started Invisalign about 3 months ago to try and align some of the asymmetrical teeth (for those that know me, I have implants and trying to avoid taking them out and doing full on Jaw surgery).

I've noticed pretty blatantly that my jaw is now receding, which is pretty obvious based on the fact my lips no longer meet together properly (upper lip now way in front of lower lip).

The weird thing is, there's no obvious movements in terms of the plan that make the bottom teeth move backward a lot or something.........it's just moving them down. Yet somehow, things are getting worse.

Any idea on what could be causing it? I hope i Didn't fu*k myself here.

https://imgur.com/a/lobSMEH  (first photo is prior to invisalign, second photo is now)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Why are Orthodontics Causing my Jaw to Receded?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
Your IMGUR link requires a sign in whereas other member photos don't.

"Sign in required
This page may contain erotic or adult imagery. You'll need to sign in if you still want to view it.

By continuing, you acknowledge that you are 18+ years of age."
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
Your IMGUR link requires a sign in whereas other member photos don't.

"Sign in required
This page may contain erotic or adult imagery. You'll need to sign in if you still want to view it.

By continuing, you acknowledge that you are 18+ years of age."

I think someone maybe have flagged it for some reason. If you just click “yes, I’m over 18”, you should be able to view.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:45:25 AM »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
New link https://imgur.com/a/I7pyt8Z

It requires a SIGN IN (imgur account which I don't have). No idea why  IMGUR shows me other photo links with no need to have account or sign in.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
Might be helpful to also share your orthodontic plan and b/a of your bite.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
It requires a SIGN IN (imgur account which I don't have). No idea why  IMGUR shows me other photo links with no need to have account or sign in.

Alright, trying another source. Sorry but they make you separate the photos :(.

https://ibb.co/NKYBYq3
https://ibb.co/tQJdgR4

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 03:31:16 PM »
I don't know IF your ortho is 'causing' your jaw to 'become' receded. Just because your lower lip is slightly behind your upper. Hardly noticeable. Your question implicitly assumes that type of 'causality'.

What I DO know is this: It's unlikely you would have had jaw and chin implants in the FIRST place if you were NOT wanting to use them to MASK some recession. Although they can do a good job at at that, implants DON'T 'line up' the lower lip with the upper. So,lower lip slightly behind upper would not tend to 'mean' your JAW is becoming 'suddenly recessed' due to ortho. Must have been the SAME situation BEFORE implants and it usually is for people wanting to avoid the maxfax procedures for balance that goes with the lip 'line up' and the bite/smile relationships.

Although I don't remember exactly but IF you had something going on with the jaw JOINT, that could be a factor IF there was a visible problem attributable to jaw recession. Just NOT one we can see here.

However, if ortho is used to bring the lower front teeth backwards, the lower lip could go a little with that movement. But that would not be jaw 'recession' either.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »
I don't know IF your ortho is 'causing' your jaw to 'become' receded. Just because your lower lip is slightly behind your upper. Hardly noticeable. Your question implicitly assumes that type of 'causality'.

What I DO know is this: It's unlikely you would have had jaw and chin implants in the FIRST place if you were NOT wanting to use them to MASK some recession. Although they can do a good job at at that, implants DON'T 'line up' the lower lip with the upper. So,lower lip slightly behind upper would not tend to 'mean' your JAW is becoming 'suddenly recessed' due to ortho. Must have been the SAME situation BEFORE implants and it usually is for people wanting to avoid the maxfax procedures for balance that goes with the lip 'line up' and the bite/smile relationships.

Although I don't remember exactly but IF you had something going on with the jaw JOINT, that could be a factor IF there was a visible problem attributable to jaw recession. Just NOT one we can see here.

However, if ortho is used to bring the lower front teeth backwards, the lower lip could go a little with that movement. But that would not be jaw 'recession' either.

Yes, the jaw has been recessed prior to implants, but it was more obvious based on my lacking of a lower third. I never had any issue with my lips lining up. That piece literally just appeared gradually within the last few months. As someone who pays attention to my facial aesthetics a LOT, I would definitely have known it was there prior. I doubt it can be a coincidence that the lips are no longer together during the middle of ortho treatment. 

Perhaps you’re right though, that the ortho treatment is just giving the illusion of a receding jaw based on tooth movement. I would have thought it would have take some pretty dramatic movements though to influence lip position.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »
Yes, the jaw has been recessed prior to implants, but it was more obvious based on my lacking of a lower third. I never had any issue with my lips lining up. That piece literally just appeared gradually within the last few months. As someone who pays attention to my facial aesthetics a LOT, I would definitely have known it was there prior. I doubt it can be a coincidence that the lips are no longer together during the middle of ortho treatment. 

Perhaps you’re right though, that the ortho treatment is just giving the illusion of a receding jaw based on tooth movement. I would have thought it would have take some pretty dramatic movements though to influence lip position.

I guess enough to see what's not noticeable to others.