Author Topic: Best max-fax surgeons in Europe...?  (Read 1506 times)

jawgraphy

Best max-fax surgeons in Europe...?
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:42:14 AM »
In a nutshell, I have a small lower third and a recessed mandible. A near perfect bite, but some difficult sleeping and I snore like a beast. Anyway, looking to do something about it...

I'm in my early 30s now so would like to get it sorted in the next few years if possible / safe..?

Any one here got any advice as to which surgeons I should consider..? I am based in the UK, and willing to travel to European countries if worthwhile and (somewhat) affordable.. Most great US surgeons seem to be 90-100k or even more...far too expensive for me I'm afraid...

I have heard that Alfaro is decent...? Unless there are some bad reviews I should know about..?
I had also considered Paul Johnson in the UK, but I just read a bad review, and the fact that he has no befores and afters on his website concerns me..

Any relevant advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Best max-fax surgeons in Europe...?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:28:44 PM »
You should first establish whether or not your case is one where you would need one of the big name maxfax docs or if it's one that a local doc can do. Because there's no reason to pay for/travel to a big name doctor if you've got something that could be fixed up by a local one. For example the big name doctors do the significant posterior downgrafting CCW cases which sets them apart from many to most other doctors. But the only way to get feed back on here as to whether or not you are that type of case, would be to put up a copy of your CEPH.X-ray.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

jawgraphy

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply, man!

OK, so I guess that my next step is to visit some local maxfax doctor and get checked to obtain a CEPH X-ray, correct? (I'm not sure I could simply get one of those covered on the NHS British Health Care system, so I assume i'll have to pay private)

And you said that the big name doctors do the significant 'posterior downgrafting CCW cases...' Could you put that in to layman terms for me?

Thanks a lot.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »

OK, so I guess that my next step is to visit some local maxfax doctor and get checked to obtain a CEPH X-ray, correct? (I'm not sure I could simply get one of those covered on the NHS British Health Care system, so I assume i'll have to pay private)

And you said that the big name doctors do the significant 'posterior downgrafting CCW cases...' Could you put that in to layman terms for me?

Thanks a lot.

It's too laborious for me to explain in full. But you can do some of your own research as to what CCW posterior downgrafting is or other members can help out with the explanation. If you don't know what it is, it may not be needed to know what it is at this point. It's something that IF you needed it, some people on here would SEE the need for it from your ceph and then you can look into what it is. So, yes, you need to get a maxfax to take a ceph which, I guess, you can get if you set up a consult with one of them.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »

'posterior downgrafting CCW cases...' Could you put that in to layman terms for me?

Imagine a fulcrum with a fixed point, and both jaws moving CCW around that fixed point.
The back of the jaw, since it's moving down, needs grafting to stabilize it.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

JourneyToSerenity

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »

Thanks a lot.

There's no chance you'll be able to get a lateral ceph/cbct on the NHS, unless you've been referred to a dental hospital by a dentist, and undergoing dental treatment, even then sourcing those images from the hospital would be a headache.

I would definitely look at Cavendish imaging, iirc the price is around £150 for both, it's the one all UK maxfax surgeons seem to recommend. However, book an appointment with your preferred maxfax and take it from there before committing to scans, images etc

Lefortitude

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 06:20:53 AM »
Mirco Raffiani looks good

Pipilika

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 06:29:49 AM »
Dr. Andreishchev from Rusia is a good surgeon?just asking.
Was there any forum member who undergone surgery with him?