Author Topic: Can you achieve the same jawline with chin wings instead of an implant?  (Read 980 times)

StudyHacks

I prefer actual bone mass - my bone - over a foreign implant, which, if I ever get punched in the face etc, would most likely be ruptured and have to be removed which would also cost a ton of money.

So most likely one chin wing procedure wouldn't get me the same result that I'd get with a custom wrap-around jaw implant.

But would enough, say 2-3, chin wing procedures give me the same square angular jawline that a wraparound implant would?

IconVillage

• Private
Re: Can you achieve the same jawline with chin wings instead of an implant?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:13:34 PM »
Probably not, and getting 3 chin wings sounds very impractical.

StudyHacks

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 04:26:39 AM »
Probably not, and getting 3 chin wings sounds very impractical.
So even if I get 2 chin wings I'd still never achieve the same square jawline that a wrap-around jaw implant can give me?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
That's not a question that can be answered in terms of 'exact sameness'. You can get a 'drop down' (lowering the border of the mandible) from an implant and also a drop down from a chin wing. You can get an advancement of the chin point from an implant and also from a chin wing. You can get 'squareness' to the jaw angles (so they stick out more from the front) from an implant and also from a chin wing (a second one). So, with both, you can get a square like jaw line. But SAMENESS as is chin wings looking 'exactly' like an implant CAN'T be answered. The decision for EITHER is based on PREFERENCE. Some people prefer not to have their jaw bones cut into and moved around and a section from their hip area harvested to do the chin wings. So, they get implants. Others want to avoid artificial materials in their face and would rather use their own bones. So, they choose chin wings.

So, no decision can be made on 'exact sameness' of shape and contour of an implant vs chin wing/s. ONLY one based on personal PREFERENCE for one's own bone OR an artificial (but bio-compatible) material.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

linoob

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »
I prefer actual bone mass - my bone - over a foreign implant, which, if I ever get punched in the face etc, would most likely be ruptured and have to be removed which would also cost a ton of money.

So most likely one chin wing procedure wouldn't get me the same result that I'd get with a custom wrap-around jaw implant.

But would enough, say 2-3, chin wing procedures give me the same square angular jawline that a wraparound implant would?

You won't have any issues with longevity, stability, resorption if you go for fixated PEEK implants done by a proper maxfac.

Adding new "bone" mass  / volume > merely displacing pre-existing bone

In my opinion, of course.

StudyHacks

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 09:04:45 AM »
You won't have any issues with longevity, stability, resorption if you go for fixated PEEK implants done by a proper maxfac.

Aren't PEEK implants very rare tho? I know Defranq uses them, but I haven't heard many people say when it comes to implants he's as good as Eppley, and Eppley only uses silicone (which I hate).

That's not a question that can be answered in terms of 'exact sameness'. You can get a 'drop down' (lowering the border of the mandible) from an implant and also a drop down from a chin wing. You can get an advancement of the chin point from an implant and also from a chin wing. You can get 'squareness' to the jaw angles (so they stick out more from the front) from an implant and also from a chin wing (a second one). So, with both, you can get a square like jaw line. But SAMENESS as is chin wings looking 'exactly' like an implant CAN'T be answered. The decision for EITHER is based on PREFERENCE. Some people prefer not to have their jaw bones cut into and moved around and a section from their hip area harvested to do the chin wings. So, they get implants. Others want to avoid artificial materials in their face and would rather use their own bones. So, they choose chin wings.

So, no decision can be made on 'exact sameness' of shape and contour of an implant vs chin wing/s. ONLY one based on personal PREFERENCE for one's own bone OR an artificial (but bio-compatible) material.

Thank you, understood. So it seems chin wings will do the job for me. I really don't want the implants to accidentally be broken (eg. when getting punched in the face or falling down the stairs etc).

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »

Thank you, understood. So it seems chin wings will do the job for me. I really don't want the implants to accidentally be broken (eg. when getting punched in the face or falling down the stairs etc).

Very possible but of course confirm with doctor doing chin wing/s.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »

Excuse me but your history reflects you had PROBLEMS with implants, have a problem that's hard to correct and also that you might be getting PEEK implants for correction. Yet you are assuring the OP that he won't have issues with PEEK implants? Please CONFIRM that you've actually HAD the PEEK implants.  IF you have not actually had them, then don't assure the OP he won't have any issues with them.

You've had them already and are happy with them and have had NO issues with them...YES or NO.