Author Topic: Best orthognathic surgeons in the US?  (Read 913 times)

nbl589

Best orthognathic surgeons in the US?
« on: September 22, 2020, 05:54:47 PM »
I’ve heard Arnett/Gunson were considered good in the past but Arnett is retired and Gunson seems to be getting hit with quite a few malpractice suits. Who are generally considered the best orthognathic surgeons in the US for bimaxillary advancement? Considering primarily for aesthetic reasons, though I do have minor sleep apnea. Would prefer US based surgeons since I want to be near them for follow ups and don’t want to spend weeks abroad recovering

ArtVandelay

• Private
Re: Best orthognathic surgeons in the US?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 06:22:09 PM »
This is really a subjective question since we just have anecdotal evidence of who did what. Generally surgeons that are recommended here such as Gunson get that reputation because they're able to perform complex downgrafts and CCW. A lot of old school surgeons can't or won't do those movements. What that means is that Gunson is not limited in his technique and can recommend an appropriate treatment plan when it's called for instead of some compromise. I won't suggest any names, you're welcome to pm me for details with who I consulted with. Keep in mind orthognathic surgery still is apprentice based, one guy performs surgeries similarly to the guy who taught him. Of course over their career they can deviate from their initial training. My only advice would be don't get caught up with who's considered the best, go and speak with several surgeons and make sure their plans are in agreement. That should be easier now that virtual consults are widespread.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:01 PM »
The trouble is when big name surgeons suggest  quite different plans.

jawsurgery029184

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
I am also interested. I have been trying to see which surgeons are willing to take on a cosmetic jaw surgery revision in the US, but it appears that only Gunson or Wolford's name pops up when I search. I would like for a more affordable option because I do not think I have a complex revision case. There must also be local surgeons willing to do so, but how can one trust their results?

simonsjaw11

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »
The trouble is when big name surgeons suggest  quite different plans.

Agreed. I've seen 5 top surgeons and each of them gives whole different treatment plan, which is really hard to choose from...

nbl589

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »
This is really a subjective question since we just have anecdotal evidence of who did what. Generally surgeons that are recommended here such as Gunson get that reputation because they're able to perform complex downgrafts and CCW. A lot of old school surgeons can't or won't do those movements. What that means is that Gunson is not limited in his technique and can recommend an appropriate treatment plan when it's called for instead of some compromise. I won't suggest any names, you're welcome to pm me for details with who I consulted with. Keep in mind orthognathic surgery still is apprentice based, one guy performs surgeries similarly to the guy who taught him. Of course over their career they can deviate from their initial training. My only advice would be don't get caught up with who's considered the best, go and speak with several surgeons and make sure their plans are in agreement. That should be easier now that virtual consults are widespread.

I plan on speaking to several surgeons but I literally have no idea who to even start with - generally knowing some of the more well-regarded surgeons who are capable of achieving good aesthetic results would definitely be a good starting point

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 04:24:45 PM »
I plan on speaking to several surgeons but I literally have no idea who to even start with - generally knowing some of the more well-regarded surgeons who are capable of achieving good aesthetic results would definitely be a good starting point

BLIND NAME TOSS QUESTION

What would be a good starting point is for you to go to a local doctor and get a ceph taken.

What I would like to know is WHY is it usually the people who DON'T post their cephs asking that question? Like why aren't they asking for any feedback BASED on their cephs in any determination of whether or not they have something that limits them to what the big name docs are known for or if they have something they don't need to seek out a big name doctor for?

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.