Author Topic: Are my jaws recessed looking at the ceph xray  (Read 1174 times)

Sanj87

Are my jaws recessed looking at the ceph xray
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »
Are my jaws recessed by looking at the xray i was born  a class 3 so my maxila must be recessed right? Although my sna is 85 i think the numbers only that high because my sn plane is almost horizontal so it throws the number off. I just want to know if my maxilla is recessed also curious about mandible. And if so how receseed are they alot or not that much. Thanks for your help

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Are my jaws recessed looking at the ceph xray
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »
Neither jaw looks to be recessed. An almost horizontal S-N line does not throw SNA measures off. Perfectly normal to have an S-N line inclination within 7 degrees away from a horizont. Class 3 (skeletal) can be EITHER recessed maxilla or protruding mandible. It just looks like you have 'delicate' bone structure as opposed to 'robust' or 'hefty to the mandible.  But that, itself is not recession. You also have an obtuse chin to neck angle (soft tissue).

Do you have any information as to what a surgeon told you as far as surgical proposal?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
Are my jaws recessed by looking at the xray i was born  a class 3 so my maxila must be recessed right? Although my sna is 85 i think the numbers only that high because my sn plane is almost horizontal so it throws the number off. I just want to know if my maxilla is recessed also curious about mandible. And if so how receseed are they alot or not that much. Thanks for your help

Lower premolars extracted? Maybe you are recessed, then.

Sanj87

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
Thanks kavan to be honest my upper maxilla doesnt feel recessed but i do have hard time breathing narrow palate and poor cheekbones i feel like my maxilla isnt set back but rather like you said small bone structure. Dear sergio having lower premolars extracted does not necesserily mean i have recessed jaws this was 16 years ago i had braces and everyone back then here in the uk extracted teeth rather than expansion. Do you think having both premolars extracted sinse the age of 13 untl 27 and having a posterior open bite aswell has caused growth problems?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
Thanks kavan to be honest my upper maxilla doesnt feel recessed but i do have hard time breathing narrow palate and poor cheekbones i feel like my maxilla isnt set back but rather like you said small bone structure. Dear sergio having lower premolars extracted does not necesserily mean i have recessed jaws this was 16 years ago i had braces and everyone back then here in the uk extracted teeth rather than expansion. Do you think having both premolars extracted sinse the age of 13 untl 27 and having a posterior open bite aswell has caused growth problems?

I'm getting approx 84 for SNA and 82 deg for SNB. (Approx because I'm holding a hand held protractor up to the screen to measure and not an auto ceph program.)

Norms for SNA= 82, You aprox 2 degrees more than SNA norm
Norms for SNB= 80, You aprox 2 degrees more than SNB norm

The SNB of approx 82 is 2 degrees above the norm and and your SNA being MORE than that is consistent with Class 3 being more attributable to relative mandibular protrusion rather than relative maxillary retrusion. Having prior lower jaw pre-molar extractions is also consistent with that in the sense the braces most likely pushed things backwards to close the extraction spaces.

So, in terms of the SNA and SNB , those are angle measures and not linear measures. The angle measures don't preclude you from getting bi-max advancement if you wanted that. It just that your aesthetic issues look more attributable to a combination of non 'robust' bone structure and thick soft tissue overlaying it rather than recession.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 03:42:40 PM »
Looks like an ideal profile and a slightly steep complex.
Can't see any reason for surgery.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Sanj87

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 08:44:06 AM »
Ive posted before, this i the reply i got:

Your maxilla is recessed. Your mandible is normal in size, but it's positioned retrognathically because your jaws rotated clockwise, so the mandible is pushed backwards and downwards by the maxilla. CCW bimax is the only (good) way to fix the bite, airway, and face

so its conflicting views im not sure..

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »
Ive posted before, this i the reply i got:

Your maxilla is recessed. Your mandible is normal in size, but it's positioned retrognathically because your jaws rotated clockwise, so the mandible is pushed backwards and downwards by the maxilla. CCW bimax is the only (good) way to fix the bite, airway, and face

so its conflicting views im not sure..

I'd say, you've been provided enough clues here for there NOT to be a 'conflicting advice' problem. But if there still is, which appears to be the case, I'm going to leave as a MYSTERY for you to solve. Far be it from me to give any more info now that you've demonstrated it just goes through a PERPETUAL CLUELESS generator.

You don't need anymore info that you've already got here on this string. Lack of info is not the problem here. The problem is lack of capacity to digest it.

Sorry to say, but one needs to be in the capacity to evaluate advice. Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and to put them into perspective.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:52:31 PM by kavan »

Sanj87

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 03:48:03 AM »
Kavan i know im stupid im not scared to admit it. Why do i find it hard to breathe, why have i got a narrow airway is it all due to my bone structure as opposed to recession?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 08:03:43 AM »
Kavan i know im stupid im not scared to admit it. Why do i find it hard to breathe, why have i got a narrow airway is it all due to my bone structure as opposed to recession?

What's your weight?
Your neck looks "fleshy" in that x-ray. If you have a lot of tissue in that area you can have breathing problems despite jaws that line up.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Sanj87

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 10:52:56 AM »
Im abit overweight but only by a few kgs nothin major at all i still look healthy

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »
GJ will be addressing the rest of your questions.