Author Topic: Orthodontist suddenly wants to camouflage my bite and go non surgical  (Read 2499 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Orthodontist suddenly wants to camouflage my bite and go non surgical
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
Why would that be desirable over pulling the molars forward to close the gaps? The only explanation i see is that my orthodontist is lazy.

How do i look for a new team? What do i tell the new orthodontist?

Here's the deal: You have a very strong 'belief' or contention that the ortho 'should' prepare you for surgery IN ACCORDANCE to your belief/contention. You are wanting VALIDATION for it. I'm telling you that an ortho as part of a surgical team is in a better position to validate this (or invalidate it) than I am. Hence, if you want your contention validated, the onus is on you to find a new team who will validate your belief/contention. That's not for me to spin my gears on as to how to look for them or what to tell them.

In terms of MECHANICAL relationships, back molars (chewing teeth) that are more vertically aligned with each other is a more mechanically efficient relationship than inclinations that veer away from a more vertical alignment.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
It's not as simple as either moving front teeth back or back teeth to the front; pulling front teeth back is relatively fast and straightforward, while moving molars towards the front would probably take years and might not even work. The orthodontist should have explained this to you. Even if you change orthos, it's unlikely that many would agree to move molars forward to close a gap, and the gap does need to be closed so you will have to decide  - together with your team - what options you have for surgery.

BINGO! Inclining the chewing teeth (molars) away from a straight up and down relationship with each other is a mechanically inefficient relationship.

djsbelgium

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »
BINGO! Inclining the chewing teeth (molars) away from a straight up and down relationship with each other is a mechanically inefficient relationship.

Since i'm getting jaw surgery either way it does not matter how these molars fit on to each other short term, the bite should be fixed surgically (and so the orthodontic treatment should align teeth only on their respective arches) so there's more potential for surgical movement.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 04:21:14 PM »
Moving molars forward is nearly impossible. They're double cusped and enormous. Also, to do so you need TADS or headgear, else the ortho would be using the front teeth as an anchor and the front teeth would lose that battle and retract. The arch tends to narrow as you go more anterior, so will a molar even fit in the more narrow arch? For all these reasons (and probably others) it's rarely done.

I can't remember why the gap is there, but if it's due to extractions, you're probably better off opening the space filling the gap with a mini implant. This just requires a spring to open the space, I think. But this will mess up any jaw surgery plan you currently have.

Your case wasn't planned to your satisfaction from the start. These cases can go astray quickly. Bad planning and changing doctors leads to a lot of problems. You're in a bad position, and now you have to make the best of it. You weren't treatment planned properly (or to your satisfaction) from the start.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
Since i'm getting jaw surgery either way it does not matter how these molars fit on to each other short term, the bite should be fixed surgically (and so the orthodontic treatment should align teeth only on their respective arches) so there's more potential for surgical movement.

Well, it looks like you just stated what you can convey to your team given you now have input from not only from me but also from others as to moving the molars.

andyyyy37

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 10:33:44 AM »
Pulling back/flaring teeth to fix a bite is not an aesthetically pleasing result. Since i'm going with DJS either way my orthodontist should optimally prepare me with DJS in mind. If he pulls back my teeth to close gaps (instead of pulling my molars forward), the surgeon will have less space for the lower jaw to move and the result won't be aesthetically optimal, since forward grown faces are more attractive.

Wait... I think this is what my ortho did to hide my underbite when I was a kid, why is it bad? Do you mean the teeth look bad or the face? Also as Long as They move both jaws the same amount you don’t need to move the teeth? Sorry I’m knew to this..