Author Topic: Seeking Guidance with Photos  (Read 756 times)

MaryM

• Private
Seeking Guidance with Photos
« on: November 27, 2020, 05:31:35 PM »
Hello All,

Trying to understand the multitude of surgical/orthodontic options available to me to improve my teeth/bite and facial balance.  Can I PM a few of you my photos to get advice? Not entirely sure where to start and I'm not familiar enough with all of the more technical terminology to simply read through the forum. 

What worries me is fixing one undesirable feature and diminishing another that perhaps has made my face attractive or unique - I gather others have similar fears from the bit of browsing I've done.   

What I do know is the following:
Am long in the mid face
Slight overbite
Narrow smile
Have a gummy smile (which prompted this research), though happy with the amount of tooth show at rest *shrug*.  You'll understand what I mean by this when looking at my photos. Not sure if it's vertical maxillary excess causing the gumminess or a related to muscle movement when smiling. 
Have a convex face
Absolutely do not want to broaden my nose
Do not necessarily want to increase prominence of lower jaw. 

Have considered: TADs, Damon braces, conventional orthodontics, mewing, NCR, Botox (for gumminess), orthognathic surgery as a last or best option.

Really appreciative of any feedback. Thanks so much.

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Seeking Guidance with Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 09:33:33 PM »
You should post photos. Cover your eyes or something.
Your nose will broaden if you have surgery on your upper jaw. Expect 1mm best case, but likely 2mm. In a bad case you could get > 2mm.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
Re: Seeking Guidance with Photos
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:53:22 PM »
Hello All,

Trying to understand the multitude of surgical/orthodontic options available to me to improve my teeth/bite and facial balance.  Can I PM a few of you my photos to get advice? Not entirely sure where to start and I'm not familiar enough with all of the more technical terminology to simply read through the forum. 

What worries me is fixing one undesirable feature and diminishing another that perhaps has made my face attractive or unique - I gather others have similar fears from the bit of browsing I've done.   

What I do know is the following:
Am long in the mid face
Slight overbite
Narrow smile
Have a gummy smile (which prompted this research), though happy with the amount of tooth show at rest *shrug*.  You'll understand what I mean by this when looking at my photos. Not sure if it's vertical maxillary excess causing the gumminess or a related to muscle movement when smiling. 
Have a convex face
Absolutely do not want to broaden my nose
Do not necessarily want to increase prominence of lower jaw. 

Have considered: TADs, Damon braces, conventional orthodontics, mewing, NCR, Botox (for gumminess), orthognathic surgery as a last or best option.

Really appreciative of any feedback. Thanks so much.

Start with botox. And probably stick to that. Excessive gum showing at maximum smile with normal teeth showing while at rest ("maximum rest", really relaxed lips) = botox. Period.

Step by step.