Author Topic: maxillomandibular advancement counter clock rotation surgery MMA/CCR  (Read 1321 times)

JK56

I would appreciate some help in understanding what exactly maxillomandibular advancement counter clock rotation surgery MMA/CCR is, and if this only affects the lower jaw or both upper and lower?

I saw a highly recommended ortho in the USA, for whom English was an obvious second language. He gave me a densely packed presentation and I didn't have time or the ability to ask the right questions when I saw him, so I'm still a bit in the dark. The treatment plan is for OSA (apnea) and an undeveloped lower jaw and dental arch. In addition to apnea (never been diagnosed but I think I have it and I do have restricted nasal airway) I have a degrading TM joint due to bite misalignment and a constant feeling of tightness from the TM joints to the base of the skull that causes headaches. I'm not overweight in the slightest and have an extremely healthy lifestyle.

My treatment proposal had a series of facial mockups with MMA/CCR being a positive and marked change, where MSE expansion only being a minor visual change in side profile, more like where I was when I was 20 years younger.

If I'm going down a treatment path, I have to choose between joint stabilization & expansion first, or jump right to the MMA/CCR surgery.

I did some googling but keep coming across bloody pictures in the MMA/CCR search, and I don't have the stomach to look at them.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: maxillomandibular advancement counter clock rotation surgery MMA/CCR
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 05:14:19 PM »
I would appreciate some help in understanding what exactly maxillomandibular advancement counter clock rotation surgery MMA/CCR is, and if this only affects the lower jaw or both upper and lower?

I saw a highly recommended ortho in the USA, for whom English was an obvious second language. He gave me a densely packed presentation and I didn't have time or the ability to ask the right questions when I saw him, so I'm still a bit in the dark. The treatment plan is for OSA (apnea) and an undeveloped lower jaw and dental arch. In addition to apnea (never been diagnosed but I think I have it and I do have restricted nasal airway) I have a degrading TM joint due to bite misalignment and a constant feeling of tightness from the TM joints to the base of the skull that causes headaches. I'm not overweight in the slightest and have an extremely healthy lifestyle.

My treatment proposal had a series of facial mockups with MMA/CCR being a positive and marked change, where MSE expansion only being a minor visual change in side profile, more like where I was when I was 20 years younger.

If I'm going down a treatment path, I have to choose between joint stabilization & expansion first, or jump right to the MMA/CCR surgery.

I did some googling but keep coming across bloody pictures in the MMA/CCR search, and I don't have the stomach to look at them.

I'm including a link from the EDUCATIONAL section of the board.
http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,7883.0.html

Rotations in maxfax refer to the rotations of a triangle; a very basic concept from grammar school geometry. A triangle connecting the maxilla mandible complex can be formed from 3 points 2 on the on the maxilla and 1 on the chin point of the mandible.

The term MMA stands for BOTH Maxilla AND Mandible advancement TOGETHER. Add the term CCW-r (counterclockwise rotation) and it means Maxilla and Mandible advancement WITH CCW-r. It resolves to the act of CHANGING the ANGLE OF INCLINATION of BOTH the maxilla and the mandible and advancing BOTH over a DIFFERENT angle of inclination than the inherent angle of inclination the maxilla and mandible have with a horizontal plane.

IF one has some very basic geometry under-belt it will be easy to relate to the those which relate back to concepts in maxfax. But if what I'm saying sounds 'Like Greek' and or the illustrations on the link I provided don't make sense, that's an indicator of no foundation to build on when seeking more info about max fax.

That said, familiarize yourself with the very BASIC concepts before venturing into surgical videos or requests to know/learn stuff with 'exactitude'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

JK56

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 07:59:00 AM »
I started going through the education section of the board after I posted. Sometimes I hit a block and need to post something for feedback before the mental block will release and I can see what's right in front of me.

The rotation is clear, what was not clear to me is that MMA referred to both upper and lower jaws. For some reason I didn't parse "maxillomandibular" correctly to mean both jaws. Your clarification makes perfect sense, thank you @kavan.

I am going to attempt less invasive MSE first, which will likely require surgical assist, or homeoblock expansion as they come with the least risk.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 12:25:59 PM »
It would help if you posted some records. Even photos would help.

It sounds like you understand MMA/CCW better now. Best way to think of it is in profile - fix a point, lock both jaws, and them along that point. So they're moving CCW as a unit.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 01:26:41 PM »
I started going through the education section of the board after I posted. Sometimes I hit a block and need to post something for feedback before the mental block will release and I can see what's right in front of me.

The rotation is clear, what was not clear to me is that MMA referred to both upper and lower jaws. For some reason I didn't parse "maxillomandibular" correctly to mean both jaws. Your clarification makes perfect sense, thank you @kavan.

I am going to attempt less invasive MSE first, which will likely require surgical assist, or homeoblock expansion as they come with the least risk.

OK, now that the 2 salient concepts about MMA and CCW-r are clearer, I'll build on that a bit more.

Maxillo-Mandibular Advancement (MMA) is usually the term used when the surgery is aimed at addressing sleep apnea where advancement of both jaws is needed to 'clear' the airways.

The other term used when BOTH jaws are displaced (in a variety of ways) is; 'Bi-max' surgery. Although both the terms refer to double jaw surgery, the term 'Bi-max' is broader in scope as to comprise quite a variety displacements aimed at balancing the jaws (facial balance) and bite. It can include both types of rotations, CCW-r and clockwise and both types of movement; forward and backwards.

The term; MMA comes from a time where they used to advance both jaws an equal amount to clear the airways. But for people who had HIGH angles of inclination of the occlusal plane and the mandibular plane, the advancement was over a high angle of inclination and due to that there was an 'unwanted' extra vertical displacement vector in order to get the horizontal displacement vector needed to clear the airways. (A 'forward' motion along a steep downwardly diagonal incline includes a downward vertical vector in addition to the  horizontal displacement vector which is the one needed to open the airways.) So MMA where the advancement was along the persons inherent LINE of orientation could often kick up unwanted aesthetic results when their line of orientation was a steep diagonal. With advances in surgical techniques such as CCW-r via downgrafting the posterior maxilla, they are able to DECREASE a high angle of inclination as to achieve the wanted horizontal displacement vector and to minimize extra 'unwanted' vertical displacement. So, modern techniques include more CCW-r with the MMA, especially so in people with high angles of inclination. That helps not only open the airways more but also give better facial balance along with it.

With regard to palate expander devices used to broaden the upper arch, that's a lateral expansion--lateral with reference to looking at the front of the face, something to do when the palate is too narrow and/or high vaulted. It isn't something to do 'instead' of getting the MMA for sleep apnea. It can be part of an over-all plan. But the surgeon doing the MMA should be involved. With these surgeries, there is the orthodonture (braces to prep) along with other devices in addition to the surgery itself and all involved are part of a TEAM with intercommunication.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.