Author Topic: Ceph and Side Profile Analysis, Please and Thank you  (Read 1339 times)

jzh3ng

Ceph and Side Profile Analysis, Please and Thank you
« on: January 04, 2021, 09:16:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

Been lurking around this forum for a few months and figured now would be a good time to get advice. Can you please take a look at my ceph scan and side profile? I ran my ceph through WebCeph analysis to get an idea of some of the skeletal issues I have and was surprised to find out that I have what is considered a normal SNA (85.58) and a non normal SNB (85.84). I've suspected that I have an underbite but thought it was due to primarily a recessed maxilla. I'm conflicted between what is indicated by WebCeph analysis and what I am seeing in my side profile picture. I'm wondering what your thoughts are around this? Are SNA and SNB the right metrics to use given my flat facial pattern? Also, what procedure would you recommend that balances both function and form?

Thank you in advance.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Ceph and Side Profile Analysis, Please and Thank you
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:34:56 PM »
There's something off with that ceph reading. If you ran your ceph through an analysis program, can you show the parts that TRACE the bone area and mark off the POINTS. I want to see where they put the 'N', 'S', 'A' and 'B' points on your ceph.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

jzh3ng

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »
Hi Kavan,

Interesting, perhaps the AI inaccurately marked off my points. I’ve attached the ceph analysis with tracing and points marked off.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:53:20 PM by jzh3ng »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 07:56:31 PM »
There's also another thing unfamiliar with what they say the norms are. The norm for SNA is 82 degrees. Norm for SNB is 80 degrees. But it tells you the norm for SNA is 85.58 deg?

OK, this diagram showed me where they put the 'N' point. We know that an (SNA) angle of of 85.58 deg is almost same as an (SNB) angle of 85.54 deg. Therefore the 'A' and 'B' points would be on pretty much the same line dropped from the 'N' point. (Point a would be found on line N-B which it is.) Simple geometry tells us that. With that, I marked off the points and the angle measures are pretty much consistent with my hand help protractor @85 deg for both.

ETA. I see that after I did this, you deleted the illustration that I used to find the points when they were NOT marked out.

jzh3ng

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »
Interesting, yes sorry about that, I was able to find the analysis (tracing, points) you were looking for so I deleted the other ceph analyses. I've attached my WebCeph analysis measurements. Looks like they consider measurements "normal" if it falls within +/- 1 SD of the mean. Looks like my SNA of 85.58 falls below 87.77 (Mean + 1 SD) so they consider that normal. My SNB of 85.84 is barely above 85.73 (Mean + 1 SD), which they consider not normal. I've got a lot of red in my WebCeph analysis..lol

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 06:57:05 PM »
OK, so we have established that this program did give you the tracings on it to establish where they put the 'N' point (and the other ones). It is always preferable to put up all the information from the get go if one has it. Otherwise the request of 'analyze my ceph' resolves to asking for something no one here can (or would be willing to even if they could) do--you know, by hand--charting out all the points and measuring all the relationships. Quite a task given there are automatic programs to do that. When I look at a ceph for a few common points, sometimes the areas where I look for them are too fuzzy or not distinct enough for me to be sure. For example, the 'N' and 'A' point were not distinct enough from the unmarked ceph. Although once I saw the one with JUST the LINES on it, I knew which points those lines would be going though and could then just label them and hold a hand protractor up to screen to measure the same angles the program did.

Now, looking at another aspect of the analysis read out, it kind of conveys it's a 'Bjork -Jarabak' analysis, one of the MANY types of ceph analysis out there. Some ceph analysis programs can give a read out of dozens of different kinds. But at least or for the most part, they find all the same/similar points and list the deviations from the norm.

The thing is-and you were QUICK to spot it-is because of a small deviation to the norm for the 'B' point/SNB angle (80.42 + 5.3 = 85.72= within their norm) whereas you were ONLY .12 points over it that kicked up the assessment of 'prognathic mandible'. So a very small fraction of what went over the norms of this analysis kicked up something that I AGREE is very COUNTER INTUITIVE relative to the APPEARANCE that it LOOKS LIKE it's the MAXILLA that's too far behind. Right? That's what it looks like. So, the numbers/angles convey raw data to substantiate all the relationships they list relative to the type of analysis they did. But still, it's that very small difference of .12 points in excess of their norm for B point that telling us the mandible is protruded when it looks like the maxilla is retruded.

What we want to consider here is what basically would happen TO THE READ-OUT IF the B point was a tiny bit back by a little bit more than that .12 point of a deviation that kicks up prognathic mandible. On the ceph we would NOT notice a difference. It would look basically the SAME. But (I think) the read out would kick up more 'normal' mandible values along with other changes where the B point factors in some non normative 'meanings'. Some of values in RED would change to Green. Just consider the CONCEPT of that and not what the actual read outs would be.

Then we look at another value on there that's way off the norm; the 'Cant of the occlusal plane' whis is the OP the occlusal plane angle where it says; 'FLAT OPA'. If we changed that angle to be within the norm we would be doing CLOCKWISE rotation of the maxilla. That, IN TURN would move both the A and B points and would kind of push your mandible backwards.

So, clockwise rotation would be PART of the solution. Of course, since the whole case looks to be rather COMPLEX and not straight forward, CW-r would just be part of the solution. But I think you want to keep an ear out for that suggestion when you consult about surgery. Other things to consider is that you might have some bi-max protrusion that is factoring into the lips sticking out too much. Add an Open bite which adds some complexity.

The educational section has a diagram I posted as to what CW-r does and there is some material there too concerning bi-max protrusion. I'm NOT a doctor. But I have full confidence that you are SMART and with a little info, could take it further on the self research aspect of things. In closing, we have a new and GREAT maxfax on board; SMSOMS is his screen name. I'm hoping he comes back to chime in on this one.

jzh3ng

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »
Thank you Kavan for your thoughtful response. I also prefer to have all the data/information upfront so I can synthesize info before making an evaluation, but I didn't want to scare people away from my post because of all the metrics lol. I also agree that my case appears complex and not straight forward. I can usually look at someone's side profile/ceph and get a decent idea of what surgical approach should be taken to fix their malocclusion (e.g., linear maxillary advancement, impaction, or  CCW-R), but am really struggling with mine. My initial thoughts were for me to get a linear maxillary advancement and a genioplasty (to hide my lower jaw protrusion). However, when I look at my WebCeph, I'm worried that I'll get protrusion in my upper lip area from the maxillary advancement. When I think of a CW-R, I'm worried about the vertical length of my face because I already have a long ramus, by rotating my mandible clockwise it may make it appear even longer lol (if that make sense). Maybe it'll work if they do a CW-R and setback on my mandible. I will take a look at the educational section and see if I can glean anything to help me make a more informed assessment/evaluation. Thanks again Kavan and appreciate your help.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 03:47:43 PM »
CW-r would tend to make the ramus (well posterior jaw angle part of it) go up. So, that's not where you would see length. The chin would go down and backwards along with the rotation. So the length would be seen from the front. However, there are types of genios that could compensate.

There are indications in the read out for Cw-R such as the 'flat' OP and also not that much tooth show at rest. Although they have you within the standard deviations for that analysis, your upper tooth show is LESS than the # listed in black. Again to mention it's going to push the mandible backwards and the pogonian (chin point) goes with it. It can also help with the lip 'stick out' being made less. The rest would be a matter of the rotation point. I've included a diagram to this regard.

jzh3ng

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 04:53:05 PM »
Ah that makes sense the way you described it. The illustration you provided also made things easy to understand. Made me realize I was visualizing the CW-R wrong. I, without realizing it put the rotation point around the posterior of maxillary. I wasn’t putting the rotation at the incisor point like the illustration on the right. I think this approach (with a genio) may be  a viable option for me. It’ll increase paranasal fullness and push out my nose without pushing my upper incisors forward. It may push my A point out a little but I’m fine with that if the overall look is more balanced. I’ll bring this up to my surgeon when I see him. Thanks Kavan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:42:29 PM by jzh3ng »

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »
It looks like you need to move the upper jaw forward a bit, lower jaw back, maybe look into fixing your nose (? though I'm not sure if an overly flat nose is fixable), and get a hair cut.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »
 :)

jzh3ng

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 07:53:12 PM »
Lmao thanks GJ. Can’t do much about my nose but I think moving my upper jaw and ANS forward should help with that (at least make the dorsal hump less noticeable?). Haven’t gotten a haircut since COVID lockdown and working from home, but I’ll look into that too when I get my jaws fixed. Can’t tell I have a mullet during video meetings.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:05:13 PM by jzh3ng »

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 09:02:47 PM »
Haven’t gotten a haircut since COVID lockdown

Same, but I don't look like that.
A $20 clipper with a 1" attachment, man. Also known as the anti-1982 starter pack.
Millimeters are miles on the face.