Author Topic: Will upper teeth show reduce once braces and elastics are off (post OP)?  (Read 859 times)

Vincent999

I have 2-3mm too much teeth show for my liking. I had a small open bite post OP the ortho has been correcting with elastics (box configuration, bringing upper teeth down and lower teeth up) for 4 months. Subsequently my upper teeth show has increased at a steady rate. I am considering a revision with impaction and the genio re-done.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:50:48 PM by Vincent999 »

InvisalignOnly

Re: Will upper teeth show reduce once braces and elastics are off (post OP)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 06:08:51 AM »
It would be crazy to get an impaction for 2-3mm upper teeth show. You'd almost certainly end up over impacted which is way worse than a few mm upper teeth show

Vincent999

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 08:06:02 AM »
It would be crazy to get an impaction for 2-3mm upper teeth show. You'd almost certainly end up over impacted which is way worse than a few mm upper teeth show
DJS gave me an adenoid look, like attached. I need to reduce the vertical length of my face, even if it means no teeth show when mouth is open at rest. I looked okay with limited teeth show prior to DJS.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:27:07 AM »
Are you sure there is no problem with your chin?

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 12:01:20 PM »
I have 2-3mm too much teeth show for my liking. I had a small open bite post OP and ortho has been correcting with elastics for 4 months. Subsequently my upper teeth show has increased at a steady rate. I am considering a revision with impaction.

Without records I can't say for sure, but at face value yes it does seem crazy to get jaw surgery for 3mm impaction only if everything else is fine.

Vincent999

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 03:19:28 PM »
Are you sure there is no problem with your chin?
Yes there is, chin and mid-mandible area has too much vertical height, in addition to asymmetry. I am certain about a genioplasty revision, the intention of the thread was to gauge the merits of a full DJS revision. I wonder if I can make the request to the surgeon for bone shaving to the immediate mandible area closest to my chin for an optimal result. I had a large posterior only downgraft.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:46:26 PM by Vincent999 »

Vincent999

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 03:31:03 PM »
Without records I can't say for sure, but at face value yes it does seem crazy to get jaw surgery for 3mm impaction only if everything else is fine.
I understand. The issue is my mouth looks too low on my face now, something genio cannot correct. I believe the uncanny look is, to an extent, independent of my longish upper lip. Meaning, 3mm impaction will address the issue while I obviously retain the same philtrum length but lose the "long face" look to a satisfying degree.

On the subject, I notice men with long philtrums (eg Harrison Ford) look good only if the long philtrum is not accompanied by a long maxilla. This is where I get the idea that limited or no teeth show (at rest) is preferable for patients with long philtrums and surgeons should make the distinction for optimal pre surgery planning.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:52:40 PM by Vincent999 »

PloskoPlus

Re: Will upper teeth show reduce once braces and elastics are off (post OP)?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 04:09:16 PM »
Why not a lip lift and revision with impaction?

Vincent999

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »
Why not a lip lift and revision with impaction?
I'm yet to see a good lip lift result for men.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 05:07:14 PM »
I'm yet to see a good lip lift result for men.
A lip lift may need to be accompanied by lip reduction.  And often it looks off because too much tooth show is created. This is not an issue if it's followed up with jaw surgery.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »
IF the excess length to your (mid) face is found between the root of the nose (upper area where it meets the forehead) and the base of the nose, it's surgically impossible to reduce the area where the excess length can be found. I've used the photo you included to illustrate what I'm saying.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.