Author Topic: Positioning of jaw during record-taking  (Read 1003 times)

logan

Positioning of jaw during record-taking
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:13:24 AM »
There's something I've been wondering about since my initial consultations

One surgeon's office (N) was very particular in how I held my jaw while they took records -- I had to open my mouth and then push my lower jaw as far back (posterior) as it would go, before closing my mouth. They explained this was where it *should* be held, if my jaw/teeth had developed properly

The other surgeon's office (S) didn't care how I held my jaw

What are other people's experiences? Especially if you've visited world-reknowned surgeons, do they care how the jaw is held for record taking? Does it actually matter?

The explanations I can think of are:
A) It *does* matter for future jaw health post-op, so I shouldn't trust a surgeon who doesn't take jaw position during record-taking into account
B) It doesn't really matter for planning (since models are moved around and constructed in 3D anyway), but maybe it is helpful to record maximum overjet values for insurance purposes

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Positioning of jaw during record-taking
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
I prefer if the office cares about these types of things. Shows attention to detail.

It might not matter, ultimately, because they can probably line up landmarks to a system (e.g. Frankfort Horizontal, etc).
Millimeters are miles on the face.

LeFort 3000

Re: Positioning of jaw during record-taking
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »
well a record is what it says it is - it records the current state of health condition. This is important for doctors to defend against malpractice claims. Why would they ever make photos of a forced and unnatural jaw position? maybe they did it additionally...else it wasnt a _record_ after all and if they work this carelessly even in the simplest things, i wouldnt go in therapy with them