Author Topic: Chin Wing vs Bimax  (Read 804 times)

RhinoAndWhat

Chin Wing vs Bimax
« on: August 14, 2021, 08:39:53 AM »
My situation. I’m 22 year old student and want bimax and rhino. it’s purely for aesthetic purpose.

I recently had a consultation and since my recession isn’t too severe the surgeon suggest mostly chin wing. 

Benefits of chin wing are:
-  it’s way cheaper. It’s around 10k.
- I can get to rhino straight away
- I could get it earlier

Downsides:
- the results didn’t impress me that much
- I would love to fix my bite as well

Benefits of bimax:
- aesthetically more pleasing
- would fix my slanted teeth, bad smile and it would simply  feel better

Downsides:
- way more expenisve die to onleading orthodontis (he estimated 25k total for bimax and braces)
- risky compared to genio
- heavy investment time and effort wise.
- I will have to wait with rhino

My bite in itself is fine (i have a mild class 2 with inwards slanted teeth but nothing severe) so the onleading process might not be too expensive and timewise not too much effort.
I will get Scans on Monday so far I can only provide pics. If someone wants to help me and give input pls DM since I Dont want to share them public
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:05:57 AM by RhinoAndWhat »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Chin Wing vs Bimax
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 01:50:29 PM »
I think you have to re-evaluate your financial comparison of chin wing vs. bimax. Although you can say it's 'cheaper' to get LESS than ONE HALF of something than to have the WHOLE of the other, that's not a good financial comparison because with the bimax you are getting BOTH JAWS and also the ortho that allows for the bite/smile improvement. So, the financial comparison would be something like this:

Chin wing: $10K for SOME of the lower jaw to be moved forward (the lower BORDER of the mandible). So 10K for PART of one thing

vs

Bimax BOTH JAWS plus bite and smile correction. Break down to $10K for upper jaw, $10K for lower jaw 5K for ortho work=25K. So, 25 K for 3 things that make up the WHOLE of correction.

So, with the bimax, you are getting 3 things that make up the whole of it. With chin wing you are getting just one thing whereas to the lower jaw area for 10K, it's only moving part of the mandible (it's lower border). So, FINANCIALLY speaking, the bimax is a better value.

Your financial comparison is kind of like saying: 'I have 2 cavities that need to be filled. But it's cheaper to get just one filled.' Well, ya (and duh), it's more expensive to get ALL of the whole thing that needs to be done. But that can't be assessed as a legitimate 'downside'.

Having to 'wait for rhino' can't be considered a legitimate 'downside' either simply because the wait period for rhino with the bimax has a CHANCE of your nose looking better (or less bad) on the face when both jaws and the smile are addressed with the bimax. Although you might still need (or want) a rhino, the type could differ simply because the nose's relationship to the face would differ after the bimax. So, the 'wait time' is actually a RE-EVALUATION of the nose.

Just from what you say, you really WANT the bimax and what you assess as a 'downside' is NOT a legitimate downside at all.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

RhinoAndWhat

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 12:36:51 AM »
I think you have to re-evaluate your financial comparison of chin wing vs. bimax. Although you can say it's 'cheaper' to get LESS than ONE HALF of something than to have the WHOLE of the other, that's not a good financial comparison because with the bimax you are getting BOTH JAWS and also the ortho that allows for the bite/smile improvement. So, the financial comparison would be something like this:

Chin wing: $10K for SOME of the lower jaw to be moved forward (the lower BORDER of the mandible). So 10K for PART of one thing

vs

Bimax BOTH JAWS plus bite and smile correction. Break down to $10K for upper jaw, $10K for lower jaw 5K for ortho work=25K. So, 25 K for 3 things that make up the WHOLE of correction.

So, with the bimax, you are getting 3 things that make up the whole of it. With chin wing you are getting just one thing whereas to the lower jaw area for 10K, it's only moving part of the mandible (it's lower border). So, FINANCIALLY speaking, the bimax is a better value.

Your financial comparison is kind of like saying: 'I have 2 cavities that need to be filled. But it's cheaper to get just one filled.' Well, ya (and duh), it's more expensive to get ALL of the whole thing that needs to be done. But that can't be assessed as a legitimate 'downside'.

Having to 'wait for rhino' can't be considered a legitimate 'downside' either simply because the wait period for rhino with the bimax has a CHANCE of your nose looking better (or less bad) on the face when both jaws and the smile are addressed with the bimax. Although you might still need (or want) a rhino, the type could differ simply because the nose's relationship to the face would differ after the bimax. So, the 'wait time' is actually a RE-EVALUATION of the nose.

Just from what you say, you really WANT the bimax and what you assess as a 'downside' is NOT a legitimate downside at all.

What would you do in my situation. I added some pictures and animations to showcase what I want, my bite, etc. :

Here the first morph with animation :
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 01:11:04 AM by RhinoAndWhat »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 12:54:23 AM »

What would you do in my situation. I added some pictures and animations to showcase what I want, my bite, etc. : https://imgur.com/a/pESsuvO

Here the first morph with animation: https://imgur.com/a/tEvZajo

What I said in the first place. Re-evaluate your financial comparison.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.