Author Topic: Solutions for bimaxillary protusion?  (Read 859 times)

dream

Solutions for bimaxillary protusion?
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:40:13 AM »
Hello guys,

So I currently suffer from bimaxillary protusion and crowding with my canines rotating as a result. At the moment, my mouth protudes as far as my nose, leaving my chin quite recessed as it does not line up with my lips. I also have a very acute nasolobial angle, overall, just a quite prognathic profile. I currently have braces in and was told by my orthodontist that I'd need to extract 4 teeth (premolar) to create space and solve my protusion/overbite. She told me both jaws were crowded and protude. However, extractions have bad side effects such as sleep apnea, and retrude your airways and have bad aesthetic effects and more. I was looking for a more beneficial treatment that would help healthwise and aesthetically.

I was thinking of:

a palate expander to create more space, slightly enlarge my nasolobial angle by reducing protusion and perhaps genio/bsso on my jaw to correct the recession.

however, i don't know if this is the correct solution. And d from what i've seen online, I've heard ethnic cases are the most difficult.
I am okay with settling for something that will enlarge my nasolobial angle a little and reduce my protusion by a small amount and getting genio to camouflage my recessed chin. But I'm very open to more solutions.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:05:39 AM by dream »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Solutions for bimaxillary protusion?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »
A palate expander is more for 'side to side' space (lateral) relative to looking at face from the front.

The space that is lacking when teeth are crowded is 'back and forth' space relative to looking at the face in profile.

With bimax protrusion, I don't think it's always a thing where there is 'too little' room for the teeth or matter of crowed teeth. It can be a thing where there is an extra track of bone to the palate that holds the pre-molars. So, the surgery is such where they move a track of hard palate bone along with the pre-molars and then they move the front of the palate (part holding the front teeth) back to close the gap. It allows for one to maintain some of the proclination of the front teeth to support the lip. When they just pluck the pre-molars and close that space that way, they can retrocline the front teeth too much and some lip support is lost.

I have a post in the EDUCATIONAL section about Anterior Segmental Osteotomy for Bimax protrusion. http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,8109.0.html

Bimax protrusion is common in some groups of people, eg. Asians. This type of osteotomy is commonly done in Korea.

If you wanted to know more about the type type of surgery I'm referring to, just Google; 'Anterior Segmental Osteotomy'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 01:17:53 AM »
So inicisors proclination is due by teeth crowding. A palate expansion can ease this situation. But often you need alot of expansion for this purpose, so that your bottom jaw wouldn't be big enough for that. That is the reason why usually Anterior segmental osteotomy is used.

Last statement was my conclusion, but before that every orthodontist said those statements to me. ( and I visited really alot, because many didn't want to treat me).

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »
Need records.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

dream

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:04:57 AM »
thank you all for the replies

@GJ i intend to get consultations from some maxfax surgeons in the UK to get suggestions and records, x-ray, etc, so i can tell you all more in fully detail.