Author Topic: Non surgical options to bring maxilla forward for adults  (Read 2360 times)

dardok

Non surgical options to bring maxilla forward for adults
« on: November 26, 2020, 08:16:47 PM »
Hi, I’m in my early twenties and have always had paranasal/maxillary recession.
I am decent looking and do not want to risk my quality of life doing an invasive surgery.

I however wouldn’t mind lower risk methods of advancing the maxilla. From my research I’m not sold at all on tooth anchored devices such as agga alf, and dna. I am planning on talking to a few doctors about MSE + face pull.

I would take even a small advancement (few mms) aslong as its stables/safe and actually advances the premaxilla bone and does just tip the teeth or strain the alveolar process.

Was wondering what sort of opinions I could get about this from other members. Ty

thedude

Re: Non surgical options to bring maxilla forward for adults
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »
Maybe think about doing palate expansion. There are non invasive techniques where they just score the bone and then use a bone based expander to slowly widen the jaw. This type of expansion is also known as distraction osteogenesis. Improves your nasal breathing dramatically and improves appearance quite a bit. Probably more so than bringing the maxilla forward as that never looks natural.  Since the bone based expanders do not touch the teeth the bite is not altered nearly as much as with other methods making almost anyone a candidate.

I am a month into this process and it has been completely painless and the results are already impressive. It feels like someone bored another hole in my nose the nasal breathing is just incredible.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »
I would take even a small advancement (few mms) aslong as its stables/safe and actually advances the premaxilla bone and does just tip the teeth or strain the alveolar process.

This is likely what would happen.

What is "face pull"? Is that like putting on headgear and pulling things forward? That will result in the above concern, imo, if you're in your 20s and done growing. You might just wind up with shorter roots as they bump against the alveolar bone.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
Maybe think about doing palate expansion. There are non invasive techniques where they just score the bone and then use a bone based expander to slowly widen the jaw. This type of expansion is also known as distraction osteogenesis. Improves your nasal breathing dramatically and improves appearance quite a bit. Probably more so than bringing the maxilla forward as that never looks natural.  Since the bone based expanders do not touch the teeth the bite is not altered nearly as much as with other methods making almost anyone a candidate.

I am a month into this process and it has been completely painless and the results are already impressive. It feels like someone bored another hole in my nose the nasal breathing is just incredible.

Palate expansion didn't improve my nasal breathing and I got a slight convex philtrum, because my teeth are now less proclined. Bite altered extremely, what is natural because your teeth get less proclined. I knew that and it is ok, because I will still get a bimax. But be aware, that also palate expansion can have aesthetic disadvantages.

LeFort 3000

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
In my oppinion what you ask is impossible. Also everything in regards of "mewing". I had sarpe too recently and i was not able to move my maxilla forward with my tongue or even my fingers in the slightest even just after a few days after my maxilla was almost completely cut from the skull. I cant imagine anything that would create enough forward pressure to move a fulling grown maxilla bone rom the skull in any way. Maybe a 24/7 headgear with bone anchored pins could create enough pressure to create anything like a forward growth. But anything anchored to the teeth will just displace them but will neither grow nor move bone mass.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 04:34:12 AM »
Palate expansion didn't improve my nasal breathing and I got a slight convex philtrum, because my teeth are now less proclined. Bite altered extremely, what is natural because your teeth get less proclined. I knew that and it is ok, because I will still get a bimax. But be aware, that also palate expansion can have aesthetic disadvantages.

Just wanted to be fair: After my swellings subsided my philtrum is the same like before.

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 05:58:27 AM »

so where exactly is the bone scored?